Replies

• Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Go with a pinup girl :D - just one of my personal fav genres of tats
  • BiancaMarie819
    BiancaMarie819 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Although I'm only half way there! I think when I hit my ultimate goal of 50lbs down, I'd get a tattoo of an L the Roman Numeral for 50, something small but memorable of what I've accomplished.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Treat yourself to an experience that you'll never forget

Like a tattoo?
  • Denisse210
    Denisse210 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    im getting a phoenix on my side/rib cage

*** A phoenix obtains new life by arising from the ashes of its predecessor.
  • KittyJoi
    KittyJoi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love tattoos and have six myself but just make sure that whatever you get you really want it. Also I had a friend who got a tattoo to commemorate her getting sober and then relapsed soon after. The tattoo became a constant reminder of her failure and made her miserable.
  • JoggerJules
    JoggerJules Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think that tattoos are such a personal thing that you must choose whatever best represents this achievement to you. That said, I would recommend not doing anything with your starting weight on it (scale or Roman Numerals). The whole purpose of this journey is for you to no longer have to carry that weight around with you. Instead I would focus on celebrating the accomplishment or the healthier you. I wish you the best along the way :)
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Butterfly? ...

I don't know what I want exactly, but I wanted a bird, birdcage, or tree or something..
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I agree that tattoos are such a personal thing. I have 3. One is the quote "Life is a Journey, Not A Destination" on my back. Looking back I personally won't get a quote or any wording/lettering again, but some people love it.

Since I now see your OP was back in May, did you end up getting anything?
  • AmandaAnne307
    AmandaAnne307 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    When I reach my goal I'm going to get stars on my right calf - kind of milky-wayish - and do one larger star for every ten pounds down from my largest. Then it doesn't broadcast my beginning or goal weight to anyone, but still means that for me. I've also been tempted to get a pinup standing on a scale - do a Google image search and you'll see the one I love (polka dot bikini).

But like the other poster said, I'm afraid of getting something in direct relation to my weight and then gaining it all back and feeling like I failed.
  • AbstractAsterism
    AbstractAsterism Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking of my goal tat for years. I want a phoenix on my right shoulder blade. Easily hidden for work, but I can show it off with a tank top.

My only suggestion is don't get words unless you can write what you want clearly and have an artist that can read/spell. I have a friend who got "Yesterday and Tomorrow" tattooed on the inside of her wrist with her wedding date. She didn't know until I pointed it out 5 years after the date that it was misspelled: "Yesturday and Tomarrow"
  • osothefinn
    osothefinn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I hate to say this and please treat this as just one person's personal opinion ... but my weight + tattoos has really inhibited me from wearing nice clothes and feeling classy. I started getting my tattoos removed a little while ago but had to stop due to lack of funds. I then put on so much weight that (believe it or not) tattoo removal would have cost more because of the additional inches I'd gained.

Now I'm losing, I'm starting to get them removed again. Please, please, please don't get a tattoo. Treat yourself to an experience that you'll never forget, your dream dress/shoes/bag, some jewellery, a make-over & some photos ... just don't mark yourself for life

(fyi, my tattoos can all be covered up - at the top of my arm, ankle, belly, hip - but as a 34 yr old woman in a corporate environment, there's no way I could wear a sleeveless shirt in the heat of summer or shorter-than-ankle-length skirt)

I know there's going to be some people who retaliate to this post and this is just my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I think people who go all-out and it's their style look amazing. But if you're not that 'stylee', please don't. You're so very beautiful how you are.

Good on you for stating your opinion, even though you're going to get post mugged over it. A dissenting opinion never hurts.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    My brother passed away due to complications during gastric bypass When I lose my first hundred I am having angel wings with his initials tattoed

Oh my gosh, so sad.. I am so sorry to hear this :-(
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I'm getting a phoenix feather tattoo on my shoulder blade once I reach my goal. Rising from the ashes :)
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a personal choice to get a tattoo. The only visible tattoo I have is on my left ankle, and if I really feel the need to, (maybe attending a super-swanky event and I just don't want to draw attention to it), there are makeups out there that can cover tattoos. (Try Kat Von D's - it works!!!) I used to have a few small ones, but now I have a humungous back piece - it takes up all the way from the base of my neck down past the small of my back and completely side-to-side. I work in a professional environment, and believe it or not, people don't even know I have it - unless I choose to let it peek through.

I have long hair, so if I ever do wear something that reveals a little of the back of the neck, my hair covers it. Most of the time I wear shrugs or blazers, anyway. The typical reaction - say if someone sees me on the weekend or something and I'm wearing an open-back tee shirt - is usually, "WHOA!! I had NO IDEA!!" And that's the way I like it. :-)
  • crackur
    crackur Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    im getting a phoenix on my side/rib cage

*** A phoenix obtains new life by arising from the ashes of its predecessor.
    this is a good one I thought about a phoenix

I have 4......one half sleeve
  • tfpdunn
    tfpdunn Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I hate to say this and please treat this as just one person's personal opinion ... but my weight + tattoos has really inhibited me from wearing nice clothes and feeling classy. I started getting my tattoos removed a little while ago but had to stop due to lack of funds. I then put on so much weight that (believe it or not) tattoo removal would have cost more because of the additional inches I'd gained.

Now I'm losing, I'm starting to get them removed again. Please, please, please don't get a tattoo. Treat yourself to an experience that you'll never forget, your dream dress/shoes/bag, some jewellery, a make-over & some photos ... just don't mark yourself for life

(fyi, my tattoos can all be covered up - at the top of my arm, ankle, belly, hip - but as a 34 yr old woman in a corporate environment, there's no way I could wear a sleeveless shirt in the heat of summer or shorter-than-ankle-length skirt)

I know there's going to be some people who retaliate to this post and this is just my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I think people who go all-out and it's their style look amazing. But if you're not that 'stylee', please don't. You're so very beautiful how you are.

I totally agree. Glad you're brave enough to make this statement, as many are already clubbing you for it.

I'm really befuddled as to why so many people would willingly and knowingly mark their bodies for life in such a way.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm not self conscience or embarrassed about it because they are extremely tasteful.

Speaking as someone who has been a manager in charge of hiring in a variety of environments... people can do whatever they want to their bodies, but there is no such thing as a tasteful tattoo. They're all varying levels of WTF. When you display a tattoo, you're telling the people around you something about yourself. Simply displaying one is a "look at me" cry for attention.

Not everybody feels this way, but many do. Whether or not you care is up to you.
  • KokowithaK
    KokowithaK Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm not self conscience or embarrassed about it because they are extremely tasteful.

Speaking as someone who has been a manager in charge of hiring in a variety of environments... people can do whatever they want to their bodies, but there is no such thing as a tasteful tattoo. They're all varying levels of WTF. When you display a tattoo, you're telling the people around you something about yourself. Simply displaying one is a "look at me" cry for attention.

Not everybody feels this way, but many do. Whether or not you care is up to you.

Are you saying I'm not tasteful?!! Well then... Just kidding! We all have our opinions, although it sounds more like you are stating fact. I do agree that some may feel we (us tattooed folk) are 'crying for attention' but it's a bit sad that people feel prejudiced that way. It's literally judging someone based on their outer appearance (which I would hoped wouldn't happen, especially in a forum such as this). I personally got tattooed because I'm a lover of art. I grew up with artistic parents, grandparents, siblings, and other relatives. It's my way of life. My main hobby is illustration. I didn't get my tattoos in the hopes that people would look at me funny; it's a side effect. And I'm alright with that. At the tattoo shop that I worked at, I came across people getting tattooed from all walks of life. A person getting a symbol to show they defeated cancer. A memorial piece for a deceased lover. Remembrance of 9/11. 18 year olds who want to prove their worth. A 90 year old woman getting her first piece of ink. An 85 year old getting their sleeve finished. I've even worked in a 'medical' tattoo parlor that only did ink for people who have lost their hair and for women who have lost their breasts to cancer and wanted their nipples to be tattooed, in order to feel whole again. Some are really loud and obnoxious while they're sitting down; others will put their head phones on and not say a word during the entire session. All in all, it's extremely hard to generalize an entire group of people based on the fact that they got ink.

I would go a step further and say whether or not you feel the need to judge is up to you.

Edited to remove extra quote.