• pnut456
    pnut456 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I read this as "poop".

^^this... :laugh:
  • dtroutman
    dtroutman Posts: 62
    Options
    I will do this challenge with you. I started drinking diet soda to get me off dr. pepper and now I still have to have 1 or 2 a day. Beating that would be great. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want : )
  • greenj0212
    greenj0212 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have to say that it is a challenge! I quit drinking soda last September with quite the struggle, however not only are you cutting all the extra calories (non-diet) but also all the extra sodium. I had some bp issues, which is one of the reasons I stopped. It is amazing how much sodium I was adding in daily through drinks.... Best of luck, just stay strong!!! I do drink my morning coffee, and occasionally have un-sweetened iced tea besides the H2O which will help with headaches... Surprisingly, when I crave a diet Mt.Dew or a regular coke (about once a month), I will buy one can and only have a few sips. I never finish any because they don't taste as good as they once did. You can do it!!! ;)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    37784505.jpg
  • confetti_blind
    confetti_blind Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I read this as "poop".

Me too!! :laugh:

Must take a certain type of twisted mind....
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I can't recommend seltzer water enough. It helped me get from 3-6 diet cokes a day to 1-2 per week, max. Seltzer tastes a bit weird at first because it is not as sweet, but your taste buds will adjust in a few days.

Good luck!!

I love carbonation, so I agree with this big time. (Apparently beer is not a suitable replacement!) A squeeze of fresh lemon or lime makes it even better!!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    But seriously...

For most people, the "hard part" of giving up soda is the caffeine withdrawal. Find your caffeine elsewhere (such as coffee) and it probably won't be nearly as difficult.

(<-- has consumed two sodas since 2005.)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I really read this as poop too. and no, I eat too much fiber to go more than 3 hours without one.
  • challenger9509
    challenger9509 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    After day 4 I was able to give up all of it and not look back..I attempted to drink some one day and it was not good at all and definitely didnt have the wonderful taste I was hooked on. I got through the headaches and the mood swings lol...but it can happen. Best of luck!!! You can do it!!!
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I read this as "poop".

Me too!! :laugh:

Must take a certain type of twisted mind....

*High 5*. We're forever 5 year olds. lol
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I read this as "poop".
    me too.

Really? How do you think this would go?

1) 12 hours no poop
    2) 24 hours no poop.
    3) 2 days no poop.
    4) 3 days no poop.
    5) and so on.

Try it and let's find out. I'm always game for a good science experiment
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    I cannot as some people just need to be "popped" on a regular basis....

Good luck!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Ugh! Worst addiction EVVVVER! Good luck kicking it! I went through headaches like crazy with it... but its totally doable... I recommend going cold turkey and just getting it over with!

This

Good luck

Agreed!

I personally had to go to a soda clinic where they dispensed the appropriate amount of soda to keep from me withdrawal. I would find a support group. I just attended Narcotics Anonymous and Alcoholics Anonymous and whenever somebody discussed their addictions to things like heroin or methamphetamine I would just laugh and say. 'Boo freakin hoo buddy. Why don't you go and get some real freakin problems.'

So far I'm a year soda free. I have to avoid social functions, grocery stores, and other places as it tends to spark up reminders that can set me over the edge.

But you're right . . . it's certainly do able.
  • synthomarsh
    synthomarsh Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I read this as "poop".
    me too.

Really? How do you think this would go?

1) 12 hours no poop
    2) 24 hours no poop.
    3) 2 days no poop.
    4) 3 days no poop.
    5) and so on.

painfully.....
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i've changed my soda intake habits drastically. i only have diet coke on the weekends now. only water and one coffee in the morning during weekdays. i rarely drink fruit juice--would much rather have real fruit instead.
  • KristysLosing
    KristysLosing Posts: 683
    Options
    You can do it! I have soda if we go out, but I'm trying to get out of that habit. I had to find something to replace it. That something was Crystal Light lemonade. Pretty good. I have a few boxes left, but trying to get out of that too. Sometimes water just doesn't do it for me. Good luck!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I don't drink soda-never have

good luck-you can do it
  • psychologym
    Options
    It's ridiculous how addictive soda can be. I used to drink 4 - 5 cans a day of diet. Quitting cold turkey is the most helpful because you don't have the temptation of "I've already had my 2 cans today....should I, or could I just have one more??" The answer to that question with the cold turkey approach is an easy NO. I went out and got a 12 pack of Sam's Club water and drank that instead and refilled the bottles with tap water (effectively I just bought a bunch of cheap water bottles that I could fill and keep as a "six pack or 12-pack" of soda). While it is probably more nutritious to get the crystal light packets than soda, as someone suggested, if you're trying to cut out the artificial sweeteners then this will not help. It is just a different source for the same thing (like switching from liquor to beer or wine). Someone needs to start a sodaholics anonymous...
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    its a big challenge , but it can be easily overcome, with persistence.

its a lot of stopping and catching yourself, and reminding yourself that not "every" drink has to have flavor and bubbles.. i think thats the hardest.
    when i cut out soda, i switched to tea, then gradually weaker tea, and weaker tea, the lemon water, and cucumber water, and thats where i stand now, herbal tea, 1 cup coffee a day, and then water with mint cucumber lemon or orange slice added to it.
    its difficult though

and hard to stay on track when that darn soda is EVERYWHERE!

you can do it though
  • KristysLosing
    KristysLosing Posts: 683
    Options
    After day 4 I was able to give up all of it and not look back..I attempted to drink some one day and it was not good at all and definitely didnt have the wonderful taste I was hooked on. I got through the headaches and the mood swings lol...but it can happen. Best of luck!!! You can do it!!!

I agree here...it doesn't taste near as good as it used to! I still like the fountain soda when we go out, but that's about it.