Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for being Canadian.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I think it is do to agriculture subsidies setup under the guise to help the mom and pop farms. Its these multinational corporations that lobby the Gov. We are fed GMO food, growth hormones in our livestock, and other types of medications. Many countries throughout the world ban the importation of US grown Veggies, beef.

In addition, I think it is certain ingredients that leech into our water, and food supply.

over indulgence of non-food type products, lack of exercise.
  • xjoseyx
    xjoseyx Posts: 74
    Options
    Im from Wales and Ive always been fat. I now live in America and boy the portion sizes are HUUUGE! Ive been in the USA for a year now and I still struggle with how big the portions are. Eat half, take the other half home for lunch the next day.
  • jasmineconley
    jasmineconley Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for being Canadian.

There's nothing wrong with being from up north ;)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Was I just insulted?

*edit. I'd rather be fat than Canadian.

**double edit, I'd rather be in Canada.
  • jasmineconley
    Options
    I think it is do to agriculture subsidies setup under the guise to help the mom and pop farms. Its these multinational corporations that lobby the Gov. We are fed GMO food, growth hormones in our livestock, and other types of medications. Many countries throughout the world ban the importation of US grown Veggies, beef.

In addition, I think it is certain ingredients that leech into our water, and food supply.

over indulgence of non-food type products, lack of exercise.

I love that you went there.Honestly many people don't know anything that you are writing about.
  • jasmineconley
    Options
    Was I just insulted?

hmmm pretty sure that's not the case
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    what do you mean "we," fatty?
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Was I just insulted?

You better double edit!!!!
  • jasmineconley
    Options
    It's good to know “we" still have humor on our side.
  • CalypsoNi
    CalypsoNi Posts: 44
    Options
    Computers and fried food. </3
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I just have a fat *kitten* (for my size). I thank squats for that. So much better now than when it was flat before.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    IMHO, it's a mixture of ignorance/lack of reinforcement of nutritional education, laziness and impatience.

Kids may be briefly taught about the food pyramid in school but then they're fed crap food in the cafeteria (pizza is a vegetable?!) and many go home to parents who are too poor, busy, tired, ignorant or lazy to cook nice healthy meals. And/or parents who are too spineless to say "no" when their kids want sweets, junk food, etc.

By laziness and impatience, I mean that for folks who don't want to take the time to plan meals out and grocery shop and cook. It's so much easier to go out, order out, get deliver or go to the drive thru where you get instant gratification with little effort.
  • StripedSmoker
    StripedSmoker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Have the opinion of an outsider: America is so weird. So weight obsessed and yet unhealthy, it's like 50% are super or too slim and the other 50% are fat. What's going on? I'm very confused about you Americans but I'm confused about a lot of things. Here there are a lot of fat people, too (germany), you are not alone...
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    because americans have to have everything. it is their right!
  • jasmineconley
    Options
    Computers and fried food. </3

Honesty at its best
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    technology
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    lots of weird additives to our foods that people dont realize is there.

for instance, i recently bought some tonic water. i got halfway through the bottle and just so happened to read the ingredients and saw that there was high fructose corn syrup in it! i'm used to homemade tonic and bought the store brand because i was lazy. i had no idea people put HFCS in water!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Technology.

We don't do much for ourselves anymore - we let technology do it for us. God forbid we should get up and walk to the office right next door when we can email or text!