Americans

Options

Replies

• kristinhardesty
    Options
    Why are we so fat?

Laziness.

Some people don't even take the time to form a thoughtful question any more.

hahahahaha ZING
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    what do you mean "we," fatty?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jasmineconley
    jasmineconley Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    IMHO, it's a mixture of ignorance/lack of reinforcement of nutritional education, laziness and impatience.

Kids may be briefly taught about the food pyramid in school but then they're fed crap food in the cafeteria (pizza is a vegetable?!) and many go home to parents who are too poor, busy, tired, ignorant or lazy to cook nice healthy meals. And/or parents who are too spineless to say "no" when their kids want sweets, junk food, etc.

By laziness and impatience, I mean that for folks who don't want to take the time to plan meals out and grocery shop and cook. It's so much easier to go out, order out, get deliver or go to the drive thru where you get instant gratification with little effort.

You aren't kidding! I have a neighbor kid that is really pushing 300 pounds at 11 years old. It's really shocking some of the things they eat over there, and they do cook just high fat food with HUGE portions! My child on the other hand is 30-50 pounds lighter than her friends. I used to be the same way until I got very ill in the military and my whole body took a crap. Things happen but a lot of our country has issues with food and portions, food and nutrition, and exercise. We have plenty of skinny fat people here not just morbidly obese ones.
  • heatherrnw
    heatherrnw Posts: 10
    Options
    I think it is do to agriculture subsidies setup under the guise to help the mom and pop farms. Its these multinational corporations that lobby the Gov. We are fed GMO food, growth hormones in our livestock, and other types of medications. Many countries throughout the world ban the importation of US grown Veggies, beef.

In addition, I think it is certain ingredients that leech into our water, and food supply.

over indulgence of non-food type products, lack of exercise.

I love that you went there.Honestly many people don't know anything that you are writing about.

Or many just don't care enough to know about it.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    A few reasons:

1. Stress and anxiety; Americans are more stressed than ever. From a psychological perspective, food brings comfort. Stress often leads to over-eating.

2. A shift from labor intensive jobs to office jobs - I laugh when people who work 50-60 hours per week are considered lazy for not working out. Some people have very stressful and demanding jobs.
  • jasmineconley
    Options
    lots of weird additives to our foods that people dont realize is there.

for instance, i recently bought some tonic water. i got halfway through the bottle and just so happened to read the ingredients and saw that there was high fructose corn syrup in it! i'm used to homemade tonic and bought the store brand because i was lazy. i had no idea people put HFCS in water!

A lot also have baking soda in them. Very weird
  • jasmineconley
    Options
    I think it is do to agriculture subsidies setup under the guise to help the mom and pop farms. Its these multinational corporations that lobby the Gov. We are fed GMO food, growth hormones in our livestock, and other types of medications. Many countries throughout the world ban the importation of US grown Veggies, beef.

In addition, I think it is certain ingredients that leech into our water, and food supply.

over indulgence of non-food type products, lack of exercise.

I love that you went there.Honestly many people don't know anything that you are writing about.

Or many just don't care enough to know about it.

True!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Manifest Destiny. . .on a personal scale.
  • jasmineconley
    Options
    A few reasons:

1. Stress and anxiety; Americans are more stressed than ever. From a psychological perspective, food brings comfort. Stress often leads to over-eating.

2. A shift from labor intensive jobs to office jobs - I laugh when people who work 50-60 hours per week are considered lazy for not working out. Some people have very stressful and demanding jobs.

I can see this too
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    fat_americans_japan_RE_USA_vs_Europe-s450x390-79993.jpeg
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Do not forget the lobbying that the restaurant industry has pushed. We are marketed to from a very very young age. How many kids out there know where the nearest McDonalds is even if they do not eat there allot? Or kids humming the tune from McDonalds ""ba da ba ba ba"
  • Shenandoah76
    Shenandoah76 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Americans are not the only one struggling these days. I think we may struggle more because we are quicker to take the easy route, ( Fast Food, Eating in our cars not sit down) instead of homecooked healthier meals, T.V. Movie, Video Games, P.C. time instead of excercise, Kids sit in a classroom theese days instead of having outdoor time and P.E., Jobs are not physical anymore.. Attitude is another. Last but not least all the perservatives/ Chemicals and GMO's that are commonplace in our foods these days.
    I am here to change that sort of behavior. So far So Good!
  • Bajiggity
    Bajiggity Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm not fat.
  • hauntao
    hauntao Posts: 130 Member
    Options

lol this is cute
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

you cant say it is because we are ignorant. Yes we might but that is only part of the equation.
  • jasmineconley
    Options

Thank you for getting this. I forgot I live in a nation that is only relative to one person. Themselves. Not towards this poster but some on this thread
  • jasmineconley
    Options
    Do not forget the lobbying that the restaurant industry has pushed. We are marketed to from a very very young age. How many kids out there know where the nearest McDonalds is even if they do not eat there allot? Or kids humming the tune from McDonalds ""ba da ba ba ba"

Yes! This too. Do you know what part of the chicken is the McNugget section?
  • Jackson4590
    Jackson4590 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    we're lazy. (we're as in most - not us on MFP).
    we make excuses for everything? fat? mcdonald's fault. broke? wall street's fault. kids ungrateful? tv's fault. stupid? school's fault. you get the point.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Why are we so fat?

Laziness.

Some people don't even take the time to form a thoughtful question any more.

Really? What is wrong with a concise, open-ended question designed to stimulate thought?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Because we have access to cheap, readily available, calorie dense foods.