Skim milk, soy milk, or almond milk?

Options

Replies

• n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I grew up on 2%, moved to skim, but now I drink unsweetened vanilla almond milk, and I love it.

I had some cereal with skim milk the other day and it was soooo sweet.
  • NicheGuy
    NicheGuy Posts: 58
    Options
    Breast.... straight from the package !!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • sar24
    sar24 Posts: 20
    Options
    No way on the Soy, horrible for you plus the GMO possibilities. Regular milk is great if you need it for extra calories but look for grass-fed, hormone free, whole milk is fine...fat is actually good for you. Almond milk just good!
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I switched to almond milk not long ago and will never go back to milk in my cereal or smoothies. I have never been a big milk drinker though, never have liked the taste but almond to me is way better tasting (although the chocolate is gross).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you are looking for in a milk. I'm not sure any will make a huge difference in muscle/fat. That is going to depend on your diet as a whole and your workouts.

Soy and cow's milk have more protein than almond, which has very little.

Soy has less calories than cow's milk.

Almond milk has less calories than both.

Soy and almond have added calcium that is usually equal to or greater than cow's milk. Cow's milk has calcium in it naturally.
  • schonkreuz
    schonkreuz Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Blue Diamond Almond Breeze unsweetened with vanilla, yuuuuum.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I drink almond milk b/c I like the taste and I'm lactose intolerant.

french_kiss_cap.jpg?w=500
  • Brinksm
    Brinksm Posts: 2
    Options
    I grew up on Skim Milk based on the family having high cholesterol. Now I hardly ever drink milk, but it is either skim or Light Chocolate Soy milk. Love it!
  • ellez48
    ellez48 Posts: 2
    Options
    Almond milk for me, but that' a personal preference rather than what's healthier/better for me
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    The fats in milk are good for you. :) It just depends on what sits better with you. Personally, I'll drink any of those three or (flavored, it tends to be watery) rice milk. I really love vanilla soy milk, and it takes flavoring really well! I suggest trying all of them and drawing a conclusion based on taste. There's more calcium in (Silk brand) Almond or Soy milk, but they are pretty much nutritionally identical otherwise.

Good luck, and feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    I grew up on Skim Milk based on the family having high cholesterol. Now I hardly ever drink milk, but it is either skim or Light Chocolate Soy milk. Love it!

Light chocolate soy milk is the best thing ever, also.
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Mostly Skim, but I'm experimenting with almond milk and whole milk in my coffee. I'm not for or against any of it, factors that influence my decision are: taste, calories/fat, and price. I'd probably go mostly almond milk if I wasn't so cheap! If you're going for protien, stick with cow milk though.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    None of the above.

Whole Raw Milk
  • imtrinat
    imtrinat Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Soy milk is more closely matched to cow's milk as far as muscle building protein is concerned. Almond milk seems to have a better reputation for health and I believe you can get it protein enriched- although I'm not sure where that protein comes from. Soy is worrisome to many people because it often uses genetically modified soy beans and it has phytoestrogens. Cow's milk is more calorie dense and you can find any number of horror stories about what is in it. That stuff is something you will have to decide for yourself though. Both soy and almond milk are about half the calories of cow's milk and I personally think they both taste better.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Getting this out there before the milk alarmists contribute:

http://www.simplyshredded.com/qa-with-nutrition-expert-alan-aragon-milk.html

Nice article.

I drink lactose free skim because I like the slightly sweet flavour
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    My personal choice is Silk Light chocolate soymilk. 90 calories for 8 ounces and it's delicious. There is more protein and calcium than milk. Plus, there are no hormones or antibiotics that you may find in cow's milk. Organic would be even better.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Skim to 2% cow's milk for me. Can't stand the taste of the others.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I use whole milk when cooking recipes that call for milk because I find that milk "substitutes" don't come out right when used as an ingredient in cooking. For everything else, I use either almond or coconut. I avoid soy like the plague because of the reasons listed in imtrinat's answer and would rather deal with the mystery ingredients that go into cow's milk than phytoestrogens.
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    just discovered almond milk for coffee...yum yum yum...but for tea, I can only have skimmed cows milk :-)
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I mix it up, a little of each, as there are so many food allergies in my family (esp dairy and soy) and I was sensitive as a child.

other than that- if it fits your macro/calorie goal- it doesn't really matter. Almond Milk seems to fit my macros best, but sometimes I want 'real milk' and adjust my other food accordingly-as needed- for a bowl of cereal with 2% milk or homemade chai latte