Skim milk, soy milk, or almond milk?

Options

Replies

• chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I grew up on skim and love it, but I switched to almond milk to help lower my cholesterol.
    I second this! I've just recently started drinking almond milk after a fellow mfp-er mentioned it, and honestly love it! I use it in my cereal and workout shakes(whenever I have one) and found that the "unsweetened almond" doesn't taste bad at all... and best of it all, 30 calories per cup!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Full fat raw milk.

I LOVE raw milk. Unfortunately, we can't find it where I live, but every so often, we drive over to an Amish dairy farm in PA for several gallons (milk freezes well!) Bizarrely, I believe transporting raw milk across state lines constitutes a felony, so don't tell anybody :drinker:

LOL! I'd commit a felony to get some raw milk, but I think it's only illegal if the seller transports it across state lines, not the buyer. :)
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    None of the above.

Whole Raw Milk

...except that I already said raw milk, so yes at least one of the above. :laugh:
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I don't look to milk for gaining muscle, I look for a well rounded diet. I am lactose intolerant, soy milk is okay but I prefer the taste of almond milk.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    All the milks. I like all of those and regular milk regular if i'm drinking a glass, full fat. Low fat if it's handy, if that's all there is. Non-fat in a latte or mocha if I'm trying to reach a certain number of cals at starbucks. I have nothing against any of the milks I think they are all great and I have uses for them all. ANY of the one's you've mentioned I'd drink by the glass or in cereal. They are all yum. As for what they will do to your muscles and whatnot I'm not qualified but I will refer you back to the link provided by Sara.
  • tom10239487
    tom10239487 Posts: 19
    Options
    Very helpful- thanks for all the replies everyone!

I think almond or whole milk is my favourite taste-wise. But it's true that I can get my protein from other sources, so I think I'll stock up on almond milk next time I go to the store! :happy:

And I can't believe that there are laws against raw whole milk in some places. If it's fresh and you know where it comes from, I'm sure there wouldn't be that high a risk of any contamination. I don't think I've ever tried it, but I imagine it's tasty!

Tom
  • Monny287
    Monny287 Posts: 109
    Options
    I just switched over to soy milk for one reason: I HATE the taste of cow's milk. I've never liked it. I only use milk in cereal and cooking--neither of which I've been indulging in lately, so basically I have quarts of milk in my fridge that just sit around and go bad. And I've been looking for something to drink with my breakfasts; I'm not a breakfast person and they tend to be really calorie-light. I didn't like soy milk as a kid (when I had to drink it because I was lactose intolerant. I've mostly outgrown it), but I'm pretty sure my parents forced the unflavored stuff on me and that's why I hated it. Now I buy vanilla flavored soy milk. Much yummier. :)
  • meaningful99
    meaningful99 Posts: 174
    Options
    I grew up on skim, but lately it's been grossing me out. Soy milk gives me an upset stomach. I just started using almond milk last month and I love it! Also, it has half the calories of dairy or soy milk.
  • misssophieleigh
    misssophieleigh Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I like skim milk and almond milk.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Almond milk - only because I have a dairy allergy. Man, I miss a cold glass of 2%!
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I personally drink organic skim milk. I figure I get enough soy in other products that I don't need to add it. Almond milk tastes okay (I really like the taste of dark chocolate almond milk) but the protein content sucks.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    On the concerns about raw milk, yes, there is a chance of getting certain illnesses from it. However, that doesn't bother me because I make it my business to be familiar with the farms from which I get it. I can visit them personally and see their cleanliness standards.

One of my fondest memories as a teen is riding my horse to a farm that had a few cows and buying homemade ice cream there (they sold raw milk, too). No ice cream I've had before or since can touch the deliciousness of that stuff.
  • greenfalls107
    greenfalls107 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My vote, is whole milk. I know that is not a popular choice but drinking it in moderation is much better for me than anything else. I like soy milk, but wow did it mess up my hormones. Craziness really. But I am mid 40, and that does make a difference. I tried almond milk once, hated it! So, whole milk is for me.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    If it fits your macros and micros.
  • 1234terri
    1234terri Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    hahaha!
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I have been using soya milk as its mean't to have the complete set of amino acids. These are needed along with protein to build muscle (or so I understand). I am a vegetarian so don't get any amino acids from meat. I'm pretty sure if you eat meat it probably doesn't matter what milk you drink. I actually switched because I read that being low on amino acids could make you depressed and depression is something I've suffered with since about the time I became fully veggie. Coincidence? I don't know but I've felt better since I started drinking it.

My favourite milk is actually oat milk. Still wondering how they milk oats, or beans for that matter lol but it's yummy on cereal and my kids love it too. It has B vitamins so I'm happy for them to enjoy it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    On the concerns about raw milk, yes, there is a chance of getting certain illnesses from it. However, that doesn't bother me because I make it my business to be familiar with the farms from which I get it. I can visit them personally and see their cleanliness standards.

One of my fondest memories as a teen is riding my horse to a farm that had a few cows and buying homemade ice cream there (they sold raw milk, too). No ice cream I've had before or since can touch the deliciousness of that stuff.

reminds me of an episode of portlandia.
  • saeede83
    saeede83 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    almond milk. good taste, low in calories, no fat, high calcium
    I get my protein from other sources
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    If your goals included cutting calories and sugar go for unsweetened coconut or almond milk while excluding all diary items. I recently got off a lot of dairy and I am not intolerant but like the less sugar and calories these offer. Soy is over processed, and shouldn't be eating a lot of that and rice is now found to have high levels of arsenic so I wouldn't suggest that either.

Just make sure you supplement for calcium and Vit D if you aren't meeting your requirements with food.
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    it is irresponsible for anyone to suggest raw animal milk as an option. There is no good reasons to go that route. There is nothing special or magical about raw milk and your are playing Russian Roulette with that product. Really adult humans do not need to eat any milk products overall for health. I won't join in a debate about this but state there are people every year who suffer permanent damage with that product no matter how great the small producer is claimed to be.