150 to go, seems impossible

Options

Replies

• SteveK279
    SteveK279 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It's very possible, but like everything else it's one step at a time. I'll probably end up 90-100 down, but the principle is the same - eat less, move more and you'll see progress over time. Even if you don't lose the full 150, everything that gets lost makes daily life easier.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Ask me 8 LBs from now
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Its not impossible! I see so many people on here that have lost that and more - truly inspirational! What helps me is setting smaller goals - like start with 10% of your body weight, or maybe do like 25lbs at a time or something. That way it doesn't seem so overwhelming. You can do it!
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do it! I want to lose 110 lbs myself and instead of looking at it like 100+ lbs (more than my 13-year-old weighs). I try to think of it in 10 lb increments. There are a lot of here who help each other out. Feel free to send me a friend request too.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to focus on shorter term goals. Just concentrate on losing the first 20. By that time, you should see some difference in the way your clothes are fit, as well as your face. That will help with the motivation to do the next 20.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Definitely possible!

Right now it must seem like you've got a huge mountain to climb. Try to break it down into smaller chunks, smaller goals to aim for. This is going to take time, but you can definitely do it.

One of the first things I'd recommend doing is changing how you think about yourself. Don't be disgusted. Being overweight doesn't make you a bad person, or disgusting. You're a human being who has a problem, and you've already taken the first steps to doing something about it. You're contemplating making big changes to take care of yourself, and you need to take care of your inner self as well as your body. Be kind to yourself, and making the healthy choices will be a lot easier.

Check out these too, if someone hasn't already linked them:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/626293-3-yr-anniversary-307-lbs-lost-picture-heavy
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/835838-99-pounds-cause-i-need-a-win-today
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/947206-2-people-still-fit-in-my-fat-pants-110-lb-lost-forever
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have been at it a little over 4 months and am down 47 pounds. Yes, it is possible.
  • angelgayla
    angelgayla Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It's possible! My long term goal is 160 pounds ~ I'm over half way there. Eating better and using MFP to track has helped me do it. Don't wait another minute to start - start right now. Do the best you can, one day at a time. When you have slips, put them behind you and keep going because it is so worth it. I used to be on medications for high blood pressure and diabetes, but not any more. It's very possible and very worth it!
  • meganfoster12
    meganfoster12 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me:) I have 150 to go and I currently am down 44.2! You can and WILL succeed:)
  • auburnlady78
    auburnlady78 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You can do this!! I started at 240 now down to 228 got just a little under a 100 pounds to go.. You can add me if you would like, we can do this!! :flowerforyou:
  • evief0915
    evief0915 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you all for your wonderful encouragement and ideas. Such a quick response! Glad to know I am not the only one out there. How wonderful to have all this support. I am literally in tears. Thank you all again.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I've seen folks on here who've lost over 300! My aim is to lose 140. In two months I'm 1/10th of the way there! And I feel much better already! Nothing like healthy eating and some exercise!

The first couple of weeks, I was really hungry in the evening, my traditional snack-to-excess time, but for the last few weeks, I haven't been overly hungry at all. In fact, at a couple of recent trips with hubby to all-you-can-eat buffet restaurants, I ate half what I would have done in the past and was perfectly well satisfied, even a little stuffed.

We can do this!!
  • MattN1972
    MattN1972 Posts: 117
    Options
    Yes very possible. Always focus on the next 5 lbs.
  • Jewels_in_the_rough
    Jewels_in_the_rough Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should look at it in smaller chunks. I literally make my goals in 1 pound increments. I know that I can lose 1 pound. So I do that. And then I do it again. And pretty soon, these single pounds start adding up.

You can do this, and congratulations on taking the first step!
  • wiezinthejuice
    wiezinthejuice Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have 200+ to lose so I feel your pain. I think it's possible. Just look at the smaller goals. My next small goal is to be in the next hundreds lol
  • nolongerXXL
    nolongerXXL Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You can do this!!! I don't think of the big number personally, but the little goals.
    Get under 300lbs, CHECK!
    Get under 275lbs, almost check (1lb off)
    Next is get under 250,

You get it.

If I think of the BIG number (170ish) I start to think it is impossible.

Reward yourself and don't let others get you down.

Also, it is okay to have an occasional treat, but don't go over board.

Add me if you would like!
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you found MFP. Your journey is not impossible and, based on my own and other's experiences here, I am confident you can do this! I'd urge you to set aside some time each day to read through Success Stories and other threads/stories about people in this community. There is such inspiration to be had among these folks. Be glad you are here; we all learn together. If you are weighing regularly, I'd suggest no more than once a week and don't get too scale-driven. One day, one meal, at a time, set small goals. At the point when you feel it is time to exercise, do something small but regularly -- like walk around the block. Increase time or distance each week. It really does not take long to feel you can do more. This builds your confidence in the whole endeavor. I wish you the best...
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I have a number of friends who have. It's a lifestyle change, not a race. Most people can lose 50-100 in a year. Take your time.
  • virginiamccallum1
    virginiamccallum1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey I know the feeling I'm only two days in and I also feel like I've a mountain to climb....good luck x x
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Anything is possible: I mean Will Smith proved that in Independence Day.