what do u put in ur oats?

Options

Replies

• newlife1211
    Options
    best way to make oatmeal is to put it in a pot with enough water and let it sit overnight. add a little lemon juice (fresh is best but whatever you have, or use a teaspoon of whe, and a dash of salt if you prefer. cover and let it sit until morning. In the morning you'll notice that it has expanded and looks fluffy. add cinnamon, apples, banana in and let it cook until all the water is absorbed. Then add honey as your sweetner or enjoy the natural sweetness from the fruit. Enjoy! You can even make this and put it in the fridge in a pan and make oatmeal bars that you can take on the go.
  • KookieKarla
    KookieKarla Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I make mine with cinnamon, ground flax seeds, no sugar or salt, I put a few raisins or cranberries and I top with coconut... a dab of yougurt and it's all good... I buy the steel cut at the bulk barn and throw in the micro wave... while it cooks I do 50 push ups... oh just kidding about the push ups... K
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I slice a small banana into it when it's almost done and whip it with a whisk. Then I add a bit of vanilla, cinnamon, brown sugar, and finely chopped walnuts.
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    but all of you cooked it first with hot water,isn't it?i used to mixed it with sweetened creamer and have too much calories. btw,all the recipes looks delicious :)

I cook my oats (steel-cut) in water and whole milk (3 c. water/1 c. milk). The milk adds flavor and gives it a nice creamy texture. For a bit more flavor, I toast the oats in a little butter (1/2 tablespoon or so for 1 cup of oats) before adding them to the simmering milk/water mixture. The milk and butter adds about 50 calories to one serving (200g). (My recipe makes 4 servings.)
  • new_bella
    new_bella Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I add 3-4 dates when I cook the oats(in water) then sprinkle with chopped walnuts....yummy!
  • Harder_Better_Faster_Stronger
    Options
    peanut butter and jelly....try it
  • Timeforthesemuscles
    Options
    sliced apples and chinnamon. Yes chinnamon.
  • swarla
    swarla Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I always make my oats the same way:
    -1/2 cup of oats
    -2/3 cup water
    -1/3 cup milk
    -1 vanilla coffee creamer
    -cinnamon

And then I add banana, peanut butter, chia seeds, shredded coconut, etc.
  • SarahDavs
    SarahDavs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    PB2 + stevia + milk
  • KeshaB623
    KeshaB623 Posts: 1
    Options
    I love oatmeal! I make 1/2 cup of the old-fashioned rolled oats type with 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Then, I add about 1/8 cup of raisins, 1-2 tsp Organic Agave and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
    I've also tried it with 1/2 ripe banana, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and 1 tsp agave. Both are really good but my favorite is the cinnamon and raisins one. Try it!
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats taste A LOT better than regular oatmeal (which tastes like paste, ugh!). I add diced apple, which is just enough sweetener, and sometimes add dry roasted/toasted-in-a-pan sesame seeds.
  • savoiaS1
    savoiaS1 Posts: 129
    Options
    Natty peanut butter if im bulking or can afford the macros. PB2 when im cutting and cant afford the fat.
  • cbkb1234
    cbkb1234 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    water and cinnamon! :D
  • GEW666
    GEW666 Posts: 8
    Options
    Maple syrup and brown sugar
  • chu604
    chu604 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I throw in 1 scoop of protein powder [So far Ive used Chocolate & Cookies n Cream.. both good. Experiment! :) ]
    As well as 140grams of frozen fruit

Aka Proats

Give it a try.. just use whatever protein and fruit you prefer.
    I used chocolate PP with Strawberries the first time i tried it.

2wnut8l.jpg
    cookies n cream PP with Mixed Berries
  • TheNewLorrain
    TheNewLorrain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I make my own and haven't made this in awhile but its so delicious even for those like you who are not fans of oats/oatmeal. You get a package of steelcut oats. This can be made in a crockpot ....two cups of oats. eight cups of water. half cup of diced dried apricots and half cup diced craisins turn on low and cook all night stir before you go to bed. when you get up in the am you have a wonderful oatmeal waiting for you. I top mine with honey. it is soooo good
  • Perreen
    Perreen Posts: 1
    Options
    I have stewed apples and vanilla yoghurt with my oats and it is very yummeee, cook the apples with ground cloves only a little, and you do not really need any sugar in it either, and a little water to stew the apples in a saucepan....
  • liljo1014
    liljo1014 Posts: 1
    Options
    I never liked oats but they're so easy that I just eat it because I have to... I use 1/2 c oatmeal, cinnamon, nutmeg, 1/2 c strawberries, 1/4 c blueberries, 1/2 c almond milk (plain or vanilla), splenda
    I can't it with water so to get lesser calories I use the unsweetened almond milk..its like 30 cal for 1/2 cup...
    If you're looking for a faster (non cook ) option..try overnight oats!! they're awesome in the summer
  • NettyBird16
    NettyBird16 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This morning I microwaved them with water and a 1/2 scoop of vanilla protein powder. Once done I topped with 2 sliced strawberries. Not too bad.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    cheese, veggie sausage, and herbs. i cook it in a low sodium stock and it turns out almost like a breakfast risotto. so good and an nice shift away from the usual sweet oats.

Yum. If I wasn't vegetarian I would so go for that. But, I come close. I put onion powder, garlic powder, sometimes a couple scoops of nutritional yeast and sometimes a soy burger. It's also very good and it keeps me going for hours sometimes I forget and miss my lunch schedule.