This sounds really dumb as I type it out

Options

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Okay that's what I thought. I don't think it's a dumb question, it's just probably not one any of us can answer because we don't know what in dairy you're reacting to.
    Yeah I just know that once I stopped drinking milk, eating ice cream or yogurt, I don't wake up stuffy anymore.

Also recently I've been having a few chocolate chips at night and I've been stuffy again.

sounds like it is that... you might be able to get soya versions of milk chocolate... or train your tastebuds to like dark chocolate
  • GEW666
    GEW666 Posts: 8
    Options
    Oh Dear Lord I will pray for thy stupid question. No such thing ad a stupid question, only stupid people.....
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    You could always eat it and see if it affects you. I get what you're saying about dairy, but I've never had that issue with milk chocolate.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Have you had an allergy test? If it affects your sinuses, it could be a serious allergy. Peanut butter, even in trace amounts, used to affect my sinuses. I loved it and ate it anyway. One day, my sister made homemade peanut butter cups. Delicious...until my throat started getting itchy in addition to my sinuses swelling. Then I went into anaphylactic shock. Good times. But not really because I almost died.

Dairy doesn't affect my sinuses, but makes me projectile vomit. Even small amounts of milk chocolate. So...my point is, be careful and don't ask on a random website for other people's opinions.
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Have you had an allergy test? If it affects your sinuses, it could be a serious allergy. Peanut butter, even in trace amounts, used to affect my sinuses. I loved it and ate it anyway. One day, my sister made homemade peanut butter cups. Delicious...until my throat started getting itchy in addition to my sinuses swelling. Then I went into anaphylactic shock. Good times. But not really because I almost died.

Dairy doesn't affect my sinuses, but makes me projectile vomit. Even small amounts of milk chocolate. So...my point is, be careful and don't ask on a random website for other people's opinions.
    Oh my.

Since it was just a stuffy nose reaction I didn't quite take it as seriously.
    I'll look into it with my doctor.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

Oh my.

Sorry, I didn't mean to freak you out. By "affecting my sinuses," I mean that I could literally feel sinus pressure within seconds of eating peanuts/peanut butter. It wasn't just a stuffy nose. But I still suggest getting tested by some sort of doctor. And in any case, even if it is just an intolerance, clearly your body is sending you a message.

Since it was just a stuffy nose reaction I didn't quite take it as seriously.
    I'll look into it with my doctor.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    if you were allergic to it, you would break out in hives. being itchy, abdominal pain, anaphylactic shock.... stuffy nose would be least of your problems
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    But...

Is milk chocolate considered dairy?
    What I mean is, does it have enough milk in it to affect my sinuses?
    ( I get stuffy and all that grossness when I have milk/dairy products)

What happens when you eat it? It doesn't matter if it's "considered" dairy or not, if it causes unpleasant side effects for you, don't eat it. There! Wasn't that simple?
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    if you were allergic to it, you would break out in hives. being itchy, abdominal pain, anaphylactic shock.... stuffy nose would be least of your problems
    Have a stuffy nose for 3 years and call me
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    But...

What happens when you eat it? It doesn't matter if it's "considered" dairy or not, if it causes unpleasant side effects for you, don't eat it. There! Wasn't that simple?
    I wasn't sure if that was causing it.. obviously
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

that is not sufficient evidence for milk to be the factor.
    fan on, narrowing of the septum, deviated septum, not washing your hair before you sleep because hair is known for catching allergens, not washing your pillow
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options

Not everyone reacts to things the same

I cant have diary as it gives me eczema
  • Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I like how your pic makes this question seem even sillier.
  • llaurenmarie
    Options

that is not sufficient evidence for milk to be the factor.
    fan on, narrowing of the septum, deviated septum, not washing your hair before you sleep because hair is known for catching allergens, not washing your pillow
    It used to be a lot worse before I stopped with normal dairy though, including cheese. So still having this little bit of mucus is leading me to try and trigger the rest.
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    I like how your pic makes this question seem even sillier.
    Being blonde?
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    So you've never eaten chocolate? Ever?
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    So you've never eaten chocolate? Ever?
    Not in more amounts than I've had milk or ice cream.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    But...

Is jello a Fruit? But REALLY, why don't YOU just eat a piece and see...or better yet, ask an Allergist.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    You can get Diary free chocolate, If you can't have Diary i would suggest having that next time. I wouldn't want to risk anything.
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    But...

Is jello a Fruit? But REALLY, why don't YOU just eat a piece and see...or better yet, ask an Allergist.
    If you read a little further down, I HAVE been eating it in small quantities and my allergies have been getting a little more annoying.

But thank you. Good Day.