Most Imp weight loss tip

Options

Replies

• jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    The most important diet tip, in my eyes is a fairly simple one:

EAT AT A HEALTHY DEFICIT!

Eat more calories that you burn off everyday, you will put on weight. Don't eat enough, and you will put on weight. Screw fads and diets, of depriving yourself of chocolate, of eating nothing but egg or whatever. Just as long as you eat at a deficit, anything goes :)
  • tweetiejovi
    tweetiejovi Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    a belt, logging everything, reading loads on everything and walking/running my *kitten* off
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Don't make it harder than it needs to be, and just keep going!
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    The 2 most important things I have learned along the way, so far:

1. Patience is key! It will take time to reach your goals and you will learn along the way. Even a day that isn't ideal is a learning experience! And patience with exercise too. Unless you are already extremely fit, build your exercise up slowly.

2. Consistency pays off. Log your food and exercise consistently. You will pick up on patterns you can learn from, even on days that aren't ideal. And one day where you go and enjoy yourself is not a disaster! It's the long-term consistency that's the key. You will also be a generally happier and more motivated person if you are still living your life instead of being a hermit! :laugh:
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You have to stay positive and love yourself regardless of your size. We (the collective we) are bombarded with images and stories of how life sucks when you're overweight, and will be amaaaaaaaazing once you've lost it. The fact is, my life rocked at 245lbs, and it rocks at 167 (eep, up from my low of 162). And that leads to my second point - don't beat yourself up over fluctuations and plateaus, because they can and will happen.

Next, figure out what works for you. I've done Weight Watchers (gained), Atkins (was great for 3 months then I had no energy from starving myself of B vitamins), South Beach (was great, but I missed fruit!), Tone It Up! ($150 for a pdf full of conflicting information and tasteless recipes, but I thought it would help take off the last 10lbs which it didn't, I gained) and now I'm on a vegetarian plant-based diet following The Eat Clean Diet principles. I still have eggs and dairy. In general, the information is out there for free. If you have to pay to join a community or a group, then it's usually not worth it.

Drink water. Throw lemon slices in it for flavour. Drink. Drink. Drink.

Finally, you will need to move regularly, so find an exercise that you like. For me, that's running/yoga/aquajogging/Jillian Michaels DVD's. I've had to try a lot that work for me to find what I like. Keep mixing it up so your body continues to be challenged.
  • Brandwil
    Brandwil Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi,
    Thanks for your answers.

I try to have the maximum of informations to choose the best way for me.
    Yes, Epie2098, I agree with you. Regardless my weight loss program, I must drink a lot of water or tea like the green tea to eliminate.

Brandwil
  • teeya1984
    teeya1984 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    track and measure everything you put in your mouth for a few months (or however long you want)...by doing this you'll help future you to recognize portion sizes and smart food choices :)

exercise...even 30 mins 3 times a week is better than no exercise at all :)

WATER WATER WATER

write your goals down (or reasons) and anytime you have the desire to give up - read them.

involve your friends and family in your journey - it can make you more accountable.

hope my tips help you the way they have helped me :)
  • mellb00
    mellb00 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    'A year from now you'll wish you had started today', that quote keeps me motivated and makes me realise how long it can take to get where you want rather than expecting too much too soon. Same with the 'it takes four weeks for you to notice a change' one.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Don't deprive yourself 100% or else you'll binge on everything else!

^This

And for god sake don't eat 1200 calories, it's ridiculous how many people ask on here why they can't lose when they are netting 500-1000 calories after exercise and really quite annoying as most of them argue back and don't accept they are eating too little.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants

I believe it is by Michael Pollan

Good luck in your journey
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Do NOT beat yourself up if you have a bad day! Understand that it happens and get back up on the horse :wink:
  • PamelaGatorMom
    PamelaGatorMom Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Mindset. If you don't REALLY want it, you won't get it.

YES & LOG EVERYTHING!! Even on bad days, off days, cheat days whatever you want to call them, seeing those numbers hold you accountable!!
  • jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    bump
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    NEVER diet. Diets cause you to deprive yourself of things and that leads to giving up eventually. Or, when you "go off" your diet you gain all the weight back. Instead, make sustainable changes, like switching to wheat bread, eating vegetarian 2-3 nights a week, requiring yourself to eat a vegetable with every meal, or changing the make up of your meals to 60% veggies and then 40% split between your protein and carbs.

I also like what askeates said about not beating yourself up. I yo-yo all the time on my weight because I can't always stay on the horse. I will get there eventually, but not today. And that's okay.
  • bongochick45
    bongochick45 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Be kind to yourself and be patient. Treat yourself like you treat your best friend.

Bump!
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    h167D422D

Love it. Needed to repost it. :laugh:
  • ChristinaWins500
    ChristinaWins500 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Challenge yourself. Make your workouts hard, sweaty, and gratifying. I am on Pinterest and follow lots of "Fitsporation" boards. It really helps me to see what I want to look like on this journey.
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    This is for life and not just until you get the weight off so find something you can do for life.

Everybody is different even if something absolutely worked for something else it doesn't meant it will for you so read a bit and find the thing that works for you.

This applies to food and exercise we all like doing different things and that's ok.
  • Davis911
    Davis911 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Be honest with yourself. If you're going to track your food, then do it all the way (not just a few meals here and there). If you are not getting the results you want look INWARD first and ask am I doing what I originally set out to do or could I do better.
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Just because people on TV lose 10 lbs a week, doesn't mean anyone should. Slow and steady a good thing.