Who didn't lose weight until they upped their calories?

Options
12346»

Replies

• Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I gain. I've tried the formula so many times cause I think I'm doing something wrong, but I still gain. I said the same thing about people who don't have enough food to eat like we do, they stay lean.
    Bonniecarbs,
    what are your weight/height/age and how much exercise you do? How long did you use the TDEE?
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I still need to be convinced of this whole "not enough calories" thing. I still go back to the cliche "you don't see any fat Etheopians". It just doesn't make sense. If you don't have enough calories, your body will use what it has for energy. This is why professional atthletes, college athletes, high school athletes, people in third world countries who have to walk 4 miles a day just to get water for their family, active children, marathon runners, gym rats, etc. etc etc. are all lean. This whole concept of having too much of a caloric deficit is rediculous, and another excuse for people to eat more and sit on their *kitten*. Move, move, move. That's all there is to it. You can't be a highly active person, eat a clean diet, and be fat. Our bodies just don't work like that. As long as you are getting enough nutrition and working your butt off, you will be lean. Period. If your not losing fat, move more, lift more. Eat enough to meet your macro and micro requirements and stay the course. It will come off. It can't not.

Interesting...because I lost 35 Lbs eating more to lose...and I don't sit on my *kitten* at all as you can see from my photo. Perhaps you miss the whole point of it all...eating more to lose is all about having enough of a deficit to lose FAT, but preserve lean body mass and have more consistent and steady weight loss rather than just trying to dump a bunch of pounds over night.

Also, you can have a calorie deficit that, at least temporarily, stalls your metabolism. Yes, eventually you will start losing again, but people plateau for a very long time. Eat more weigh less isn't about stuffing yourself with **** and sitting on your *kitten*...if you look at the individuals who practice this, they are some of the fittest and leanest on MFP.

OP...I'd also suggest that you really take a look at your calories in/out estimates. Many people just underestimate consumption because they eyeball servings and don't weigh and measure food...also over-estimating calorie burn when you're using the MFP method and eating back those exercise calories...you should leave a margin of error in there...my rule when I was doing MFP was no less than 50% and up to 75% of my exercise calories to make sure that activity was being properly fueled, but not overestimating the burn from that activity.

Wonderful. Thank you.

^^^ Totally this:

" the whole point of it all...eating more to lose is all about having enough of a deficit to lose FAT, but preserve lean body mass and have more consistent and steady weight loss rather than just trying to dump a bunch of pounds over night."

I've always been able to lose at 1000-1400 calories, but NEVER been able to keep it off plus... didn't like the way my body looked. I like it this way much better.
    :smile:

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I gain. I've tried the formula so many times cause I think I'm doing something wrong, but I still gain. I said the same thing about people who don't have enough food to eat like we do, they stay lean.
    Bonniecarbs,
    what are your weight/height/age and how much exercise you do? How long did you use the TDEE?

This happened to me due to eating back my workout calories.
  • skparker2
    skparker2 Posts: 132
    Options
    Don't have time to read all of these, but I will reply---I did!

Long story short, started my weight loss at the end of February, beginning of March. Lost inches, didn't lose weight. I was PISSED and almost gave up. Tried and failed miserably at 1200 calories. Took me a good month to really start being self-aware about how much I actually ate and drank. It took me almost 2 months to see results. Hit up the gym a heck of a lot more.

Lost 2 pounds, gained it back, threw a fit (lol), and then lost it again. Then April happened & I upped my calories to 1400 and BAM! Lost weight. Lost approx 8-10 pounds last month. Now it's May and my weight has fluctuated a bit. But I'm slowly getting back on track.
  • deranieri1
    deranieri1 Posts: 2
    Options
    My Trainer has been complaining that I am not eating enough. I thought his calories for me were too high and now that I eat healthy food it is very hard to eat that many calories a day (2500). I am eating about 2000 to 2100 and the weight is coming off. I lift 4 days a week and do cardo 4 days for 35 minutes. The workout are brutal when start a new one but after 4 weeks I can do it with no problem. So far so good I am 50 lbs down since Jan.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    it's been a couple of days of this and I feel like I'm gonna turn back into bullwinkle in the macy's day parade. hope y'all are right.
  • ashleyplus3
    ashleyplus3 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. :smile:
  • jerber160
    Options
    how would it be if I ate back 100 calories from my workout today? that's 20%
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options

If you do TDEE-, do you calculate your exercise hours? If you do then you do not eat back your calories.
    How can 100 calories be 20%? That means that your TDEE is 500!
  • jerber160
    Options

If you do TDEE-, do you calculate your exercise hours? If you do then you do not eat back your calories.
    How can 100 calories be 20%? That means that your TDEE is 500!
    20% of my exercise calories. someone mentioned they were eating calories plus 50% of exercise cals. I'm sticking myself at 1500...earned aorun 500 for exercise ..... so thinking if I hat 1700 today would be good?
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I started at 1200 calories/day & was able to eat that amount without difficulty. Initially I lost weight, but plateaued for 4-6 weeks without any change in weight. I did all my calculations & was eating more than 300 calories below my BMR. I upped my calories to TDEE-20% and started resistance training in addition to my previous cardio workouts. I also upped my protein intake to 1 gram/pound lean body weight. I'm usually over that protein goal on most days & below my carb goal. My weight started dropping off again. My weight loss has been a bit slower this past month (3 pound loss), but I'm down by >5 inches & 2 dress sizes in that same period. My % Body Fat is also down significantly. I just upped my diet another 130 calories again 2 weeks ago, after recalculating my numbers for current changes & I'm down another pound & more inches. I'm currently 53 y.o., height 5-8 and weight 176 pounds, down from 217 (that's down 41 pounds since the middle of January).

I should add, I'm a physician & don't know why I let myself get sucked into the 1200 calorie goal. I should have calculated my BMR & TDEE from the beginning! I'll give myself a little break, as I'm a neonatologist, so know "baby nutrition" backwards & forwards, but not as great with adults. The idea of consuming below your BMR makes absolutely no sense! Why would you take in less calories than your body needs for basic existence???! Plus, the whole point of successful weight loss is develop a true lifestyle change. There is no way folks are going to stick to 1200 calories/day in the long term. It's just not sustainable! The minute you start eating more, having met your weight goal, your weight will creep back up, as you let your guard down. Better to learn to eat, exercise & move at correct levels that are sustainable in the long term. You also learn to cook & eat healthy foods & quantities, which you can continue to enjoy. I love everything I'm eating now & I don't miss the junk & extra sweets. That doesn't mean you can't occasional indulge, (i.e. I celebrated a graduation & 2 birthdays last week requiring restaurant dinners & desserts, but still lost a pound!) I also find the use of a Fit Bit One to be very important. My calculated TDEE is within 50-100 calories of my weekly Fit Bit calorie burn average. The Fit Bit also keeps you moving, so you can acquire steps & calorie burn. I've bought Fit Bit Zips for all my family members, who have been shocked at how little they move! Competition is a great incentive!!!

Our whole extended family has a weight loss challenge going on this year, and they all had also plateaued on seriously restricted calories & WW. I've since done all their calculation & upped their calorie consumption accordingly. They are losing weight like crazy again. My dad, who is 76 y.o., has lost >12 pounds in the last 4 weeks with his dietary changes, including the extra fluid in his lower legs & feet! I have him drinking one protein shake/smoothie & eating one protein bar/day, in addition to his lean meats, fruits, vegetables, etc. I had to hunt some for a protein bar he would enjoy, as he was a sugar junkie! I ordered a sampler package from the My Bariatric Pantry website, and he discovered the Oh Yeah bars. He gets his "candy bar fix" without it being unhealthy, and he's no longer disturbed by not getting desserts!
  • bfitgirl
    bfitgirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I started at 1200 calories/day & was able to eat that amount without difficulty. Initially I lost weight, but plateaued for 4-6 weeks without any change in weight. I did all my calculations & was eating more than 300 calories below my BMR. I upped my calories to TDEE-20% and started resistance training in addition to my previous cardio workouts. I also upped my protein intake to 1 gram/pound lean body weight. I'm usually over that protein goal on most days & below my carb goal. My weight started dropping off again. My weight loss has been a bit slower this past month (3 pound loss), but I'm down by >5 inches & 2 dress sizes in that same period. My % Body Fat is also down significantly. I just upped my diet another 130 calories again 2 weeks ago, after recalculating my numbers for current changes & I'm down another pound & more inches. I'm currently 53 y.o., height 5-8 and weight 176 pounds, down from 217 (that's down 41 pounds since the middle of January).

I should add, I'm a physician & don't know why I let myself get sucked into the 1200 calorie goal. I should have calculated my BMR & TDEE from the beginning! I'll give myself a little break, as I'm a neonatologist, so know "baby nutrition" backwards & forwards, but not as great with adults. The idea of consuming below your BMR makes absolutely no sense! Why would you take in less calories than your body needs for basic existence???! Plus, the whole point of successful weight loss is develop a true lifestyle change. There is no way folks are going to stick to 1200 calories/day in the long term. It's just not sustainable! The minute you start eating more, having met your weight goal, your weight will creep back up, as you let your guard down. Better to learn to eat, exercise & move at correct levels that are sustainable in the long term. You also learn to cook & eat healthy foods & quantities, which you can continue to enjoy. I love everything I'm eating now & I don't miss the junk & extra sweets. That doesn't mean you can't occasional indulge, (i.e. I celebrated a graduation & 2 birthdays last week requiring restaurant dinners & desserts, but still lost a pound!) I also find the use of a Fit Bit One to be very important. My calculated TDEE is within 50-100 calories of my weekly Fit Bit calorie burn average. The Fit Bit also keeps you moving, so you can acquire steps & calorie burn. I've bought Fit Bit Zips for all my family members, who have been shocked at how little they move! Competition is a great incentive!!!

Our whole extended family has a weight loss challenge going on this year, and they all had also plateaued on seriously restricted calories & WW. I've since done all their calculation & upped their calorie consumption accordingly. They are losing weight like crazy again. My dad, who is 76 y.o., has lost >12 pounds in the last 4 weeks with his dietary changes, including the extra fluid in his lower legs & feet! I have him drinking one protein shake/smoothie & eating one protein bar/day, in addition to his lean meats, fruits, vegetables, etc. I had to hunt some for a protein bar he would enjoy, as he was a sugar junkie! I ordered a sampler package from the My Bariatric Pantry website, and he discovered the Oh Yeah bars. He gets his "candy bar fix" without it being unhealthy, and he's no longer disturbed by not getting desserts!

Great read and well done with your success
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I hit a plateau and upped my calories by 2000 and started losing again. Worked for me.
  • HealthyLeeLee
    HealthyLeeLee Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Bump!