Anyone Learn to Lift Heavy without a Trainer?

Options
Hi! :smile:

So I have been doing HIIT and I am down to about 21 percent body fat so I think its time for me to incorporate heavy lifting into my workout routines. (Although "heavy" for me is going to embarrassingly light! )

Anyway, right now I can't afford a personal trainer, but my gym here at the office has a whole set of weights (1 lb- 50lbs), a cable crossover (I think that's what its called) a pull up bar, an inclined sit up thingy, lateral pull down, leg extension machine, a some sort of bench press machine... Unfortunately, due to liability issues I guess, they won't provide a barbell set up.

So I want to start lifting heavy...but I am kind of scared :embarassed: because I have no clue where to start. I googled a bunch of beginner dumbbell routines and I am thinking about buying NROLFW (But modify the moves for Dumbbells and the equipment available.) I know I can watch u-tube videos for help with form and posture, but lots of people here at work are telling me it's too dangerous and I need to hire a professional to guide me so I don't get injured.

So my questions are:

Did you learn to lift heavy without a trainer?

If yes, do you have any pointers/tips that you have learned?

What does your schedule look like? How do you incorporate other sports/cardio (I would like to still do my yoga, HIIT and I mountain bike with my husband...but I am afraid of "over training.")

Also, When you started lifting how was your diet effected? How much protein and calories did you have to eat? I am not worried about the scale number, but I don't want to regain body fat!

Finally, my last question is this... I can't find anyone to work out with me :sad: so I wont have a "spotter" or anything. Did any of you have to go it alone? Do I need a spotter if I am not using a barbell?

Also, let me clarify that once I have "outgrown" my gyms selection of weights I intend to join a small local gym that is surprisingly affordable ( I just cant afford the trainer at the gym!)

Sorry If some of these questions seem silly! I have been lurking in the exercise forums and on body building websites, but I still have these questions. I am half tempted to just keep doing HIIT and yoga and biking, but I am not getting the muscle definition I want from these. I look pretty good ( I think) but I really like the lean strong look :tongue:

Replies

• beastmode1414
    Options
    I never had a trainer but I use to play football and I look up different programs online. I will add you as a friend and I can give you my schedule if you are willing to try it.
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Yes -- there are alot of resources on line (such as exrx) that help you with proper form. If you want a beginner program, look up Starting Strength.
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'm having the same concerns.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,569 Member
    Options
    My advice is to get a session with a trainer. Lots of gyms out there will let you pay for a session without joining the gym. This way you can learn the basic mechanics of lifting. "Packing" your shoulders, keep your core tight, how to keep a flat back on lifts, pushing through the heels in squats, etc.
    There's lots of visuals on videos, but it's a different deal when you actually have to perform them yourself and can't see your own form.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'm having the same concerns.

Cory Everson used to train me. Watched her every morning at 11AM Eastern on ESPN.
  • harleygirl00
    harleygirl00 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing your HIT workout. I hear alot about it and would also like to drop % bodyfat but the one I have been doing I haven't seen any results yet. I would be interested in seeing if I can get results like you did.......congratulation :smile:
  • rburgess7
    rburgess7 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    stronglifts.com
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I started off with NROL4W and also used dumbbells as I had no barbell access. A couple of the moves were tricky to substitute but once I got the hang of it it worked out just fine. I saw amazing results really fast!

I think it's totally possible to learn without a trainer. Just make sure you read up on form and watch videos on youtube of people doing it properly. Then, try to do the moves in front of a mirror to make sure your form is correct. Also start out as light as possible until you get form down.

And don't worry, "heavy" for me is embarrassingly light as well :) Good luck and have fun! I bet you'll love lifting once you give it a try.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    No trainer.. doing Stronglifts!! Highly recommend !!!!!
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options

I think it's totally possible to learn without a trainer. Just make sure you read up on form and watch videos on youtube of people doing it properly. Then, try to do the moves in front of a mirror to make sure your form is correct. Also start out as light as possible until you get form down.

YES
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    My advice is to get a session with a trainer. Lots of gyms out there will let you pay for a session without joining the gym. This way you can learn the basic mechanics of lifting. "Packing" your shoulders, keep your core tight, how to keep a flat back on lifts, pushing through the heels in squats, etc.
    There's lots of visuals on videos, but it's a different deal when you actually have to perform them yourself and can't see your own form.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^^^ Excellent advise. I was going to suggest the same thing if you can afford it. If you are new to lifting just remember it is always better to fair on the lighter side at first to be able to read / know your body and its capabilities. The last thing you want is an injury which would prolong results or turn you off of weight training all together. Form is king.... be sure you can properly perform the lift. I see far too many guys in the gym that have weight loaded that they can not handle and they are not getting the full benefits of the lift and also risk injury. Im talking about the guys on the bench or squat rack that un-rack, go a 1/4 to 1/2 way down and then that's it.....I mean this is not accomplishing much IMO.
  • gisele246
    gisele246 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Check out Jamie Eason's Live Fit. It's a 12 week program and intense. You don't need a trainer. I'm in week 8 and seeing great results !
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    Luckily my gym only makes you pay for a trainer if they set up a plan/routine for you. I was able to have a trainer come show me proper form, and watch me for a few sets of each move to ensure I had proper form. Maybe you can get one to do that on a free trip to the gym (1 day pass to see if you like it kind of thing).
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    stronglifts.com

^^ This ^^

I don't go to a gym, and can't afford a training. I have weights at home, as well as a rack and bench. I watched a LOT of videos.

I just started in February, and lost a month in March due to an injury (which is WHY it is so important to really pay attention to your form and NOT let just anyone distract you from what you are doing, LOL...), and heavy lifting to me started at a 10 lb bar and two 5 lb plates. :blushing:

It is my workout of choice, with running and swimming following up at a close second. :)
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    stronglifts.com

She does not have access to a barbell so this would not be the best routine out there.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I have nothing against trainers...my son happens to be one, and is pursuing sports medicine as a field of study.

They aren't "required" for any exercise regimen however. They can and do alot of times find problems in your form that you don't see.

Guess I'm a bit lucky that I can call my son up and go "Come over for dinner tonight", then have him critique my form on a couple of example sets of whatever I'm doing.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hi Everybody!! Thanks for your great replies! I am already feeling encouraged!
    I did not consider just taking a single lesson (Or maybe a couple) I can probably afford that :happy:
  • zaftiggirl
    zaftiggirl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It is helpful to have a trainer show you (or remind you) of correct form - but I have found good trainers with blogs that will basically give you the same or better advice. Niashanks.com is one of my favorites. There are tons of trainers on youtube that can "train" you, if you've got good awareness of your body in the first place. Just make sure your source is credible, either way! :)
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I tried NROLFW without the proper equipment as well. I found it complicated. I switched gyms and programs.

I would read NROLFW and Starting Strength. Watch a lot of videos. I did this and then started the Strong Lifts 5x5 program. It's easy, effective and has a phone app that keeps track of your routine for you (when, what and how much). It's starts with just the bar which weighs 45 pounds and progresses 5 pounds with each session. If you find a gym with a power rack that has safety bars, you may not need a spotter for quite a while.

Also, check out these groups:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

Good luck to you.