Anyone Learn to Lift Heavy without a Trainer?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I never had a trainer, but I used to lift plenty and learned how to lift properly in high school athletics. Every once in awhile I will ask another guy at the gym to check my form for me if I'm feeling a little off or something. Keep in mind that a good beginner program like SS or SL or NRoLfW is going to have you starting light so you can work on form before piling on the weight. You may want to consult with a trainer for a couple of sessions before you go too far up in weight...or consult with someone who just generally knows what they're doing in the weight room.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Check out Jamie Eason's Live Fit. It's a 12 week program and intense. You don't need a trainer. I'm in week 8 and seeing great results !

I liked this one too, it's free on bodybuilding.com and the workout is laid out for every week and they have videos if you want to see how to do a move.

I do wonder how long you can go without a barbell, so definitely look for a squat rack at the next gym you go to!
    I never had a trainer. I did the Jamie Eason 12-week, read starting strength but then did Stronglifts. I am still not very strong....
  • bdhcraniford
    bdhcraniford Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I recommend starting with a qualified trainer first! When I started, I felt as if I was doing it right- even by observing videos and others...but sometimes they aren't doing it properly either! :ohwell: With somone there to critique, I think there is no substitute for ensuring you have correct form...better work out and less injuries!
  • Quest529
    Quest529 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Just skimmed the thread, but what about taking videos of yourself and comparing them to youtube clips and form instructions. On the New Rules for Women facebook page, some people submit their videos for pointers, there may be other pages out there to.

I did the first workout with New Rules of Lifting for Women, but my gym just didn't have the right equipment available when I needed them. So, I switched to Stronglifts.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Fun hair OP!

That's all I've got here.
  • _happycats_
    _happycats_ Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If you go for it on your own, please be careful! I tried originally to learn by myself and managed to really injure myself. I did bench presses with "just the bar" thinking it would be a light warm-up and pulled all the muscles in my chest - turns out I was using the 45 pound bar. I really didn't know what I was doing and I was in pain for a long time after that.

A few years later I had my super athlete brother train me and it made a huge difference to go in with somebody who knows what they're doing and can take the time to teach and show you good form. I'd agree with the suggestions to book an intro session with a trainer, just for safety's sake. I now do the New Rules of Lifting for Women and love it :smile:
  • TheMrsFitnessGeek
    TheMrsFitnessGeek Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Check out Jamie Eason's Live Fit. It's a 12 week program and intense. You don't need a trainer. I'm in week 8 and seeing great results !

That is what I did :)
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I was fortunate that my man was my "trainer". He turned this little pudgy, party animal gut body OUT. LOL As per previous comments, sounds like you're doing great.

I agree with previous suggestions such as NRoLfW, Stronglifts, or LiveFit 12wk trainer. If my man didn't show me, I'd have showed myself eventually. If you want it, you do it.

LiveFit has videos for every exercise as well as a daily diet plan. It's all outlined day by day, so if you are clueless on what to eat, they hand you all the info and all the calculators on the daily. I enjoyed that program. Only did it once, but it's a good way to learn a lot of exercises, eating plans and carb-cycling.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Oh, sorry I missed your question about spotters. That's a concern for me. I am too... uh... proud to ask anyone to spot me. (Yes, some might say stupid, but I do not live in a friendly, lovey sort of city so I don't look for extra opportunities to talk to strangers.)

Anyway, if you work with dumbbells, you don't need a spotter as much. The only two lifts that require spotters are the squat and the bench press. You cannot really do serious squats with dumbbells--your grip strength cannot match what your legs can carry. So the trick there is to go slow in increasing your barbell weight; maybe get some fractionals if your gym doesn't have plates smaller than 5 lb. For the bench press, I know I lift less than I can handle, but I would rather work at somewhat below my working max weight than get pinned by the bar and do the roll of shame. You can also get pretty far with the dumbbell bench press, and not run the danger of getting pinned by a bar. Some might argue it's even a better lift because you have to work a little harder to stabilize the dumbbells.

That's my 2c on spotters.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I love MFP...you guys are so supportive and helpful!! Thanks so much!! :flowerforyou:
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Just skimmed the thread, but what about taking videos of yourself and comparing them to youtube clips and form instructions. On the New Rules for Women facebook page, some people submit their videos for pointers, there may be other pages out there to.

I did the first workout with New Rules of Lifting for Women, but my gym just didn't have the right equipment available when I needed them. So, I switched to Stronglifts.

The "Eat, Train, Progress" group that I mentioned in an earlier comment has a thread where you can submit "form" videos for critiquing from the more experienced members.
  • Wowat50
    Wowat50 Posts: 16
    Options
    I found a groupon in my area for a month of bootcamp for $30.00, which turned out to be a good deal because found out that he normally charges $30.00 a week on top of the gym membership. I learned a lot from that one month class and he gave lots of advice and encouragement. It was lots of fun too. Maybe you could find something like that.
    After my bootcamp class, I started Chalean Extream. I love working out with her at home, but you would need your own dumbells or you could use the resistance band that comes with it.
    There are plenty of fitnes magazines out there that can help as well.
    Good luck with what ever you find for you!
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Hi, I would get a few sessions with a trainer because it is so easy to have bad form when lifting heavy. Many people injure themselves because they do not know how to do the exercises correctly. I did when I was lifting heavy years ago. I did not know how to squat properly so I pulled my hip/back not sure exactly which. It still flares up if i push too hard too fast or if I have incorrect form. I finally saw a trainer and he showed me how to squat properly. Good trainers are worth it and help a lot.
  • NoleGirl0918
    NoleGirl0918 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Bump - i am currently going through the same thing & need guidance also.
  • ShandiH
    ShandiH Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I never had a trainer. I bought the book Starting Strength, took form check vids and posted them online for my friends on Fitocracy to review (plenty of very experienced lifters there), and started low to work my way up while keeping form as the highest priority.

TBH most trainers don't know a damn thing about heavy compound lifting. They'll have you doing smith machine high bar quarter squats onto a yoga ball with the bar pad, and flared elbow wide grip bench press with your feet on the bench.

If you want to lift heavy, seek out information from people who specialize in lifting heavy; powerlifters. There are some great online resources and TONS of teaching videos on YouTube.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    It can be difficult without someone to guide you along. My gym offers a free session with a trainer, so you should check into that. Otherwise I would do a lot of YouTube videos for basic exercises, gotta start somewhere.
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Form is everything. You can't go straight into lifting heavy. You have to learn form first and gradually move up to heavy lifting.

The book Starting Strength and its instructional DVD on barbell training helped me immensely, but it's still wise to get a trainer as you can't observe your form completely even with a mirror (a mirror can also impede learning form properly). Bad form and heavy lifting will lead to serious injury.