Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Friends Posting recipes on FaceBook

Athena53
Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
Has anyone else noticed the annoying trend of FaceBook friends posting endless recipes? During one week I had 2 different people post recipes for greasy, cheesy, fattening stuff and then post “spring cleanse” recipes for water and various fruits and seasonings. I posted the snarky observation that if you refrained from all the bad stuff, you wouldn’t need “spring cleanse” recipes. No one responded.

I thought the worst offender had reformed when he posted a link to recipes for lean, healthy meals that could be made ahead and frozen. No, the next day there was “Millionaire Spaghetti Casserole”. Yesterday there was “Strawberry butter”- perfectly lovely, healthy strawberries blended with a ton of butter and sugar. This morning there was “two-ingredient lemon cake”. The two ingredients were cake mix and lemon pie filling. Guess they didn’t count the ingredients in the ingredients.

I finally used the option to hide all his posts. Every recipe seemed focused on taking basic, healthy stuff and turning it into a sugar and cholesterol bomb. And of course they all exhorted the reader to “be sure to re-post this on your Wall so you can refer to it when you need it.”

Anyone else find this annoying?

Replies

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    What is this "facebook" of which you speak? Seriously, I don't do facebook, but I wouldn't let that bother me.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    No. It's facebook. I don't let it get to me.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Yes. All the time. One of them also posted a Someecard about poking fun at people who post about their workouts, and I found it ironic and hilarious because she isn't in shape and is always posting these fatty looking recipes! I think people do it so they don't "lose" the recipe. I've seen some of those even captioned that way: "Share so you can save for later" kind of things. It really does clutter up my newsfeed, but I also have friends who go on, what I call, "sharing binges" that seem to have been browsing and sharing every freaking thing they thought was cool. Recipes, photos, whatever.
  • imtrinat
    imtrinat Posts: 153 Member
    I noticed a bunch of them too all of the sudden so I figured it was one of those sneaky apps that auto posts for people. Most of them really are horribly bad for the body but it doesn't bother me. *Scroll, scroll. Gross food. scroll, scroll.*
  • teamstanish
    teamstanish Posts: 274 Member
    This is a huge pet peeve of mine. I get sick of people posting pictures of desserts, junk food, nasty fat filled casseroles...PLEASE JUST STOP. If you want to post that crap just use pintrest.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    I don't let it get to me.....

And one's I see that are good, I just reform into something healthier.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Gotta get your DCA somewhere... (discretionary calorie allowance).. I also wonder what people consider unhealthy. Is an italian beef sandwich unhealthy? Are ribs unhealthy? Is a pulled pork sandwich unhealthy? I dont really consider anything unhealthy unless its processed. Everything in moderation.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Recipes, meh.

It's the endless stream of motivational quotes that irk me for whatever reason...it's all I see on my wall anymore!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Sometimes it confuses me because I'm thinking I am looking at Pinterest... because I have already seen those recipes.... on Pinterest.
  • jacklis
    jacklis Posts: 280 Member
    Recipes, meh.

It's the endless stream of motivational quotes that irk me for whatever reason...it's all I see on my wall anymore!

^^^^
    this, me too, What the heck. I am about to "unfriend" some folks because I guess I just don't need that much motivation!
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    I post my healthy recipes. Heh. Sometimes I just post pics, but if folks want the recipe I add it.

I do get frustrated with all the recipes that use a bunch of processed or boxed ingredients (especially prevalent with desserts). I'd rather see the home-made recipes so I can choose what to swap out or eliminate all together.

But, it's an open form, so my frustration is really just about seeing something that looks good, and finding out it's really a combination of processed crap and not something I can work with. It's all about MEEEEEE. :glasses:
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Sometimes it confuses me because I'm thinking I am looking at Pinterest... because I have already seen those recipes.... on Pinterest.

Ditto
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Recipes, meh.

agreed... they are elitist bull**** IMO.. they often convey stupid messages, too... all the "try harder" themed ones truly drive me crazy.. try too hard and youll snap your **** up or do way too much exercise or diet way too extreme... this is a marathon..
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    I only have one FB friend/family member who posts recipes. She's in the process of losing weight (using WW) and is doing really well so it always amazes me that she posts all these great-looking oooey-gooey bad-for-you recipes. There were a few that I actually took the time and entered the ingredients into the MFP Recipe Builder, posted the calories in a serving, and she thanked me saying "Well, I guess I won't be making THAT!"
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    What is this "facebook" of which you speak? Seriously, I don't do facebook, but I wouldn't let that bother me.

Purposefully and decidedly do not participate in Facebook...life is happy.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    There is this handy little "ignore" feature on fb, or better yet, the "delete this friend" option. Snarky comments about other people's diet would surely earn you the latter on my page.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Yes.
    It's like everyone on my feed just discovered freakin' Pillsbury crescent rolls.

I try to follow stuff that's just real food, clean food or paleo food...and of course GRUMPY CAT! :drinker:
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Erm, nope, it's their facebook, they can do what they like.

I have a friend who can't have children, this would be like her saying she gets annoyed at people posting pics of their kids.

If you don't like seeing their posts, hide them but they're entitled to post whatever they want on their facebook even if it upsets you on your diet.
  • ihammen
    ihammen Posts: 55 Member
    I pin recipes on Pinterest, and a lot of them are ooey, gooey recipes, that look really decadent. They are not on my plan right now, but you never know when you may want to make something to share with a lot of people. I figure then I'll have a store of great recipes to choose from, and just have a tiny serving of something that looks really good. The people following you on pinterest can see what you pinned.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,123 Member
    Maybe they didn't read the recipe disclosure clause.