Lifting at age 40 and beyond

Options
So I just turned 40, which is fine because I am fitter now than I was for many years in my 30s, and over the last few years I've lost 3 stone. Yay.

However, I am having a very different workout experience to when I last trained regularly which was in my 20s (yeah, my 30s were pretty stressy and unhealthy).

14 months ago I started Karate; I'm now proud to be a brown belt. 12 months ago I started lifting free weights. About 4 months into that, I got sacroiliac strain ... twice. That was a wake-up call to the fact that my body needs a bit more care than it did in my 20s!!! I now have a great relationship with a great Osteopath who has helped me continue training, recover my back, and choose exercises to reduce stress on it and strengthen my core.

She's also helped me with my rotator cuffs. Tennis elbow. Tendonitis. And a lot of other crap.

I quickly learned my lesson to not overtrain. I reached a happy balance when I was doing 2x Karate sessions a week and 2x lifting (full body workouts with compound exercises). I have recently moved to 1x Karate and 2x lifting a week as I have been getting just too damn tired.

I warm up well and stretch out after each and every workout. I always lift with a training partner who meticulously watches my form to ensure my back is straight, my knees are in the right place, that I have a spot where I need it, etc. I know when I need to rest. I try to get enough protein, especially straight after a workout.

So what am I asking? Well I guess I want to know, is it just me? Do any other people around this age find they battle against fatigue and injury despite their best efforts to be sensible about training? I am quite aware of all the magnificent-looking lifting specimens at age 40+ - I know what CAN be achieved! - but I'm interested in those that have overcome or are fighting against similar annoying hinderances, and how they feel about it / handle it.

Never give up, and all that :D

Replies

• kakklespakkle
    kakklespakkle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Wow, it really is just me then? LOL
  • kakklespakkle
    Options
    OMG I'M SO ALONE - WAHHH!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    I just turned 39 and although I don't have the energy I had 20 years ago, my stamina is still pretty good, maybe even better. My recovery time can take a bit longer and yes, I do have to watch myself for injury. I suspect, however, this may be partially due to the fact that I push myself harder than I did when I was younger. I also have to watch my diet more closely to make sure I am being properly fueled. I used to eat two slices of pepperoni pizza, 20 ounces of Dr. Pepper and then off to the gym! Now, not so much. :smile:
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    The thing I've noticed more now is that when I push myself hard, things happen that would have not happened in my 20s, pain, injury, and recovery time-wise. It is more likely that I will over-do it and pay a bigger price. My motto these days is no more excuses, but as my dear husband pointed out, some things are not excuses. So, I am working on finding the balance between challenging and too much. It's a work in progress. :grumble:
  • ntdrive
    ntdrive Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've lifted for more than 20 yrs (sometimes infrequent ... more routinely for 5 yrs). The only thing that I've noticed is recovery takes longer when I lift really heavy. Otherwise I've had less injuries and tweaks than when I was younger.
  • janiecrake
    janiecrake Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Lol, I dont have any answers for you but I'm glad you posted the topic. I've been thinking about starting with some weights as it seems to be a good way to stay lean. I am pretty new to fitness, been pretty slack over the last 10 years.
    I currently do yoga 2-3 times a week and swim twice a week. I also walk my dogs every day, at least 40 minutes brisk walking, often more. I'm gradually building up my fitness but I am worried that if I start to do anyhting more strenuous like weights I will end up putting my back out or something. After swimming I developed really sore shoulders for a while, my over-40 body telling me to take it slower I think.
    Be interested to read any replies (!) you might get :)
  • Megdonald1
    Megdonald1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It is NOT just you!! Holy cow I am right there with you. I lifted regularly right after I had my last son, 12 years ago. Could lift and do ANYTHING i wanted and bounced right back into shape. NOW at 43, sometimes I feel like i hurt myself just picking up a piece of paper!! LOL I am being very faithful and diligent on FORM, FORM, FORM! I love lifting but this getting old crap, well someone else can have it!! ;) Add me if you need some motivation!
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options

Ha ha too cute! Nah, you're never alone. Add me if you like! :flowerforyou:
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Well I'm 56 and I don't suffer from a tiredness problem although I have only just started lifting, running and circuits has been my bag. I did have some leg problems before I invested I some properly fitted running shoes but I mainly just kept the intensity of my exercise low and gradually built it up.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    IDK for sure just yet. I don't "lift" (but would like to, if I had the opportunity), but I'm doing a variety of workout on a REGULAR basis finally in my life. I'm 40 and feeling great since working out and losing some pounds (since Dec). But I can tell you that I *never weighed this much in my 20s* and I never worked out this much in my 30s, so there's *no comparison*. Come to think of it...I never worked out this hard in my 20s either! But, so far, so good. Assuming things continue this way, I think that by the time I reach a weight that I was in my 20s, I'll be far more fit and better-off than I ever was back then. :) Remember, if you weigh more now than you did before, that is exponentially more stressful to your joints, bones, etc.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I'm 42. I don't feel the fatigue on an every day basis, but after about 8 weeks of a heavy lifting cycle (3 x per week), I am definitely in need of a break, so I have a deload week.

I was lifting in my mid twenties, and I think I felt MORE fatigued then. I wasn't eating as well, was doing a lot of partying, not enough sleeping, etc.

My shoulders are a bit more touchy than they were back then, but my dodgy knee is much better these days.

In terms of strength, I'm not as strong as I was in my twenties at this point, but I feel pretty confident that I could be, and will probably even be stronger than I was then if I keep at it.

I do find recovery takes a little longer, and I really have to make sure I'm sleeping and eating well.
  • LuvtheCubs
    LuvtheCubs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm 52. I've lifted off and on since I was 17. My recovery and rest days are much more important now. And I make sure I don't overtrain during a session. I still train really hard but I take my off days as real off days. Otherwise I get truly exhausted and the soreness gets more intense, lasts longer. I hope to lift for the rest of my life so balance is the important aspect for me.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I just started trying to get fit and healthy 12 months ago at age 45. I do battle the fatigue after a workout and have had a couple of injuries that i think are due to age and the body just not as resilient as it used to be. Not poor form injuries or over use.

However, i do love lifting weights so i push myself no matter what. But that can backfire too as i am nursing a neck/back thing from being so stubborn.

I think older women can do anything but, maybe not as often or as well if they havent kept it up since they were in the 20s and 30s
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Also, maybe incorporate some short HIIT sessions throughout the week (Tabata sessions or short hill sprints). I think they really help to boost energy and prevent the fatigue you describe. Otherwise, look at other aspects of your life. I know that just sitting around doing nothing physical in the presence of my 2yo daughter or 8yo son is more tiring and stressful to me than the toughest workout. Sometimes family & career are the real culprits.
  • kakklespakkle
    Options
    Remember, if you weigh more now than you did before, that is exponentially more stressful to your joints, bones, etc.

God you are so right. I actually never factored that in. Wise woman :)
  • kakklespakkle
    Options
    Well now I feel better. It's good to know that other people go through the same things!!

Thanks everyone, for replying and making me feel far more normal! xxx
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    So I just turned 40, which is fine because I am fitter now than I was for many years in my 30s, and over the last few years I've lost 3 stone. Yay.

However, I am having a very different workout experience to when I last trained regularly which was in my 20s (yeah, my 30s were pretty stressy and unhealthy).

14 months ago I started Karate; I'm now proud to be a brown belt. 12 months ago I started lifting free weights. About 4 months into that, I got sacroiliac strain ... twice. That was a wake-up call to the fact that my body needs a bit more care than it did in my 20s!!! I now have a great relationship with a great Osteopath who has helped me continue training, recover my back, and choose exercises to reduce stress on it and strengthen my core.

She's also helped me with my rotator cuffs. Tennis elbow. Tendonitis. And a lot of other crap.

I quickly learned my lesson to not overtrain. I reached a happy balance when I was doing 2x Karate sessions a week and 2x lifting (full body workouts with compound exercises). I have recently moved to 1x Karate and 2x lifting a week as I have been getting just too damn tired.

I warm up well and stretch out after each and every workout. I always lift with a training partner who meticulously watches my form to ensure my back is straight, my knees are in the right place, that I have a spot where I need it, etc. I know when I need to rest. I try to get enough protein, especially straight after a workout.

So what am I asking? Well I guess I want to know, is it just me? Do any other people around this age find they battle against fatigue and injury despite their best efforts to be sensible about training? I am quite aware of all the magnificent-looking lifting specimens at age 40+ - I know what CAN be achieved! - but I'm interested in those that have overcome or are fighting against similar annoying hinderances, and how they feel about it / handle it.

Never give up, and all that :D
    I've been at this for 30 years so let me give you my experience.

Back in my 20's I could bomb away at training each body part 2 times a week. In my 30's I started to reduce that to training just legs and back 2 times a week and everything else once a week. In my 40's I had elbow surgery (bone spur removed), 2nd degree hamstring tear 2 times, major calf pull, and now tendinitis in both elbows and one knee. My strength has gone down every year (not too significantly but more than enough to notice) etc. Am now at training each body part once a week.
    Even with that all happening, I'm still more fit and healthier than many 20 year old males today. So I keep plugging away.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not the only one! I am 45 years old (today) and feel aches and pains (and overuse injuries) more now than I used to. The caveat is that I am in better shape than when I was 25 years old, so it is all good! :smile:
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    At 46, I'm right there with you. I used to lift 3 days a week,and now I can only do 2 because I get too tired. I can't lift too heavy even though i stretch a lot. If I do, I have sciatic problems, piriformis problems. And, I have issues with my knees that keep me from doing deep lunges. Other than that I feel good!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    51 and been at this on and off for 25 years.

Gone are the days of going at my body with abandon. I spend a hell of a lot more time stretching than I ever used to and everything revolves around injury avoidance.
    Can't stress that enough. Avoiding injury is far more important that any specific gains you may be going for. Recovery time just keeps increasing and it's easy to imagine an injury keeping you on the sidelines for long enough to really impact your long term health.

You can still be a beast, you just have to be a whole lot more thoughtful about it.