Lifting at age 40 and beyond

Options

Replies

• kaylabrose
    kaylabrose Posts: 71
    Options
  • Pringlelingus
    Options
    Great job on what you are doing. My biggest fear is that I will injure myself and end up in a worst state than I already am. I've already got some hip issues. I plan on seeing a PT.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options

You are so not alone. I'm 61 and working my way through New Rules of Lifting for Women 2/5 of the way through Stage 6. I LOVE lifting! I don't even care if there are no physical changes (there are loads) I just enjoy the workout. I haven't done anything at all for the previous 10+ years except a short walk to and from work occassionally and I sit at a desk 80% of my day. I LOATHE cardio (although I recently discovered spinning which strangely is fun to me!), and never could consistently keep up a program. When I started NROL4W I could only do bodyweight squats lunges deadlifts and 3#DBs on OHP. I'm squatting 85 DL 150 and OHP 20.

My shoirt term goals are to squat my weight, DL 1.5 my weight, OHP 75#, and do 5 pullups!

Yes I do battle fatigue but I sleep crappy even with all the workouts.I broke my ankle last year and yes have some balance issues but there's a lot you can do to improve that. Practice standing on one foot for as long as possible, change feet. When that beomes easier, add weights. You can improve your balance!

Never give up!

Glad you're on my FL :flowerforyou:

Just started lifting this year. Concentrating on form and being patient with myself are priorities at this stage in my life.
  • rburgess7
    rburgess7 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Ok you have hear from the younger crowd, not I'll put my 2 cents in. I'm 63 year young. I started the stronglifts 5x5 9 weeks ago and at first I hurt I'm not kidding, but by the second week I have had no pain and a lot of gain. Don't use the age thing because that just makes you sound (place the O word here), and at 40 you have just begun. Hang in there it will be worth it.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    You and I were separated at birth. Sorta.
    I am currently 44 years old. I did Taekwondo in the past, but when I quit smoking after 32 years of carrying a pack a day habit, I started at a professional studio. This was back in February of last year. I am now a blue level three. In the past year I have battled stomach issues, I broke my collarbone, wrenched BOTH my knees (one just racing my kids to hit the birdie in badminton and I'm still nursing it), but I continue to press on. Why? Because I am in better shape NOW than I ever was.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    40 - you are a baby!! :wink:

I'm 53 and can vouch that it is different to when I was younger - think I started strength training in 1974!!

Recovery from injury is a lot slower, progression is slower. I used to be able to pile more weight on bench press almost every session in my 20's & 30's but now it's taking months to slowly progress. January was 63kg and I'm now at 79kg for example.

On the other hand my energy levels are great, I'm working out 5 or 6 times a week (60% cardio at moment as I have a particular goal I'm working towards). Just did a VO2 max test and result came out in the "excellent" range.

The major limiting factors are a lifetime of injuries (knees, back, shoulder...) which mean I have to modify my routines to suit my joint's capabilities.

One thing is for sure though - losing weight has made a huge difference to how I feel, look and my general health.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not the only one! I am 45 years old (today) and feel aches and pains (and overuse injuries) more now than I used to. The caveat is that I am in better shape than when I was 25 years old, so it is all good! :smile:

Happy birthday, funnily its my 45th tomorrow :bigsmile:

I work out 6 days a week a mix of weights, circuit training, classes, squash and running. I lift heavy and have made big gains in my strength this year. I have only been lifting 15 months, and exercising 21 months (before I would only walk and sometimes played netball). I have had a problem with the tendons in my wrist, but no other injuries (touch wood). I used to carry the bulk of my weight around my middle, so I actually have less stress on my knees and lower back now I have dropped so much weight.

Personally I have never felt better, I love working out and have never felt so confident. I am now worried that following sods law, I will probably end up injuring myself tomorrow.
  • Mforman60
    Mforman60 Posts: 3
    Options
    I was out of shape for years. Now in my 50's, I've finally decided to get healthy. Over the past year, I've dropped 50 lbs of fat and added between 20 - 25 lbs of muscle. I've used multiple trainers, who to my surprise have all told me something different. I've taken what they have taught me, and created workouts which through trial and error now work for me. Do you know who I listen to the most.... my body. Your body will tell you if you are pushing too hard, or not hard enough. When I'm lifting, I always use a slow and controlled motion. If I ever feel a muscle "tweek", I immediatly stop and re evaluate the exercise. I tend to use dumbbells rather than machines, as they assist in developing all of the smaller stabilizer muscles. I'm always asking questions at the gym, as I want to continue to challange my self, but I'm always aware of my limits. Hope this helps.
  • durangocal
    durangocal Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Im in my early 40s and working out with this older body surely feels different then it did even just 5 years ago! Can't wait for tonight when I can read through this thread!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I'm 54 and have been working out since I was 19. I'm lucky where I really didn't notice a big difference until I hit the big 50:noway: Suddenly all that stuff that I ignored when I was a kid became really important -

warm up
    cool down
    stretch
    hydrate
    proper nutrition (protein protein and more protein)
    a good night's sleep
    Rest days are rest days, not maybe I'll just slip in a light work out day. Recovery days...so important
    over training is a no no

Make sure you're eating enough!! Getting protein! And if you're that fatigued.. a check up with your Doc would be a good idea.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I am nearly 70, so you would say I'm definitely over 40, I didn't start working out until my 50s so I can't compare myself to then. I lift 2 or 3 days most weeks and walk 3 to 5 miles several days a week. With all of that, I have flabby arms and a muffin top. Really, compared to most women my age I look and feel fantastic. Don't expect to be 20 again. Just be the best you can be at this point in your life. When I was 40 and complained about getting old, my now late husband would tell me that in 20 years I would look back at that age and lament how good I looked, felt, could perform. He was right. Celebrate who you are!

^^^ Thank you for sharing, I'm 48 and my saying for years now has been, "getting old sucks". I'm going to try harder to embrace where I'm at.
  • heidi5k
    heidi5k Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I started lifting right around my 40th birthday. Yes, I get tired pretty quickly these days, some mornings are harder than others, but the way I look at it is I'm going to age anyway, so why not do something that is going to help me fight it?

I have been extremely careful with form and the amount of weight I lift and have, thankfully, avoided injury thus far. But if I feel too run down or too sore to do more, I stop and give myself a break. It's part of being middle-aged.

I don't want to compete with the younger girls who see faster results or have fewer aches. This for me and I do it at my pace.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    So what am I asking? Well I guess I want to know, is it just me? Do any other people around this age find they battle against fatigue and injury despite their best efforts to be sensible about training?

Not just yes, but hell yess. I find I am always fighting some little tinge in an elbow, knee, or joint. Muscles are sore much longer than when I was younger so I really have to moderate my workout vs. recovery time. And I have a bit less stamina than before, though I still keep up with them younger punks it is getting harder.

I won't say 40 sucks, but it is definitely different. Odd how much more it changes each year too. Uphill battle and I gotta say, I am willing to fight it off as long as I can.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'll be 40 this year and I lift as well. I'm in the best shape now than I ever was in my 20's/30's even though I have been able to stay pretty fit and lean all these years.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Bump for future. This is a great thread!
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    No, your not alone! I have just turned 40 and have lifted on & off for the past 10 years. Had son 4.5 years ago and started back lifting about 18 months ago. I now lift & Crossfit and man, it is so much harder now!
    The weight just doesn't come off as easily, I fear my *kitten* will never be pert again and I just do not have the strength I used to.
    While I applaud other younger women lift & crossfit I wish I was 20 years younger so I could really kick some *kitten*!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    No, your not alone! I have just turned 40 and have lifted on & off for the past 10 years. Had son 4.5 years ago and started back lifting about 18 months ago. I now lift & Crossfit and man, it is so much harder now!
    The weight just doesn't come off as easily, I fear my *kitten* will never be pert again and I just do not have the strength I used to.
    While I applaud other younger women lift & crossfit I wish I was 20 years younger so I could really kick some *kitten*!

If I'd worked this hard at 25, I'd have been the stud I thought I was. :-)
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm also 40 and haven't yet experienced the "falling apart" aspect of working out, though I've been doing it consistently for over 20 years (and am probably more fit than ever now). MY HUSBAND, on the other hand...phew. He is a very fit Marine and works out hard, but MAN, he is always getting hurt--and not from being sloppy or doing things improperly or anything like that. He's extremely consistent about warming up, stretching, etc. Plus, we are both super, SUPER anal about form and always have been.

So, that said, I haven't gotten hurt but I definitely see the changes in my body and way more looseness and wrinkly-ness than ever before. Ugh. But it could certainly be way worse. :)

I love this thread! :)
  • msleanlegs
    msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You and I were separated at birth. Sorta.
    I am currently 44 years old. I did Taekwondo in the past, but when I quit smoking after 32 years of carrying a pack a day habit, I started at a professional studio. This was back in February of last year. I am now a blue level three. In the past year I have battled stomach issues, I broke my collarbone, wrenched BOTH my knees (one just racing my kids to hit the birdie in badminton and I'm still nursing it), but I continue to press on. Why? Because I am in better shape NOW than I ever was.

Good for you for not throwing in the towel because of those injuries! I think about all the injuries and pain I've gone through and the benefits of exercising still outweigh the negatives. But how I wish I was one of those people who weren't injury prone! :laugh: