Girl, you don't need to Squat 245lbs

Options
A buddy of mine messaged me and told me I shouldnt be doing heavy squats. It wont lean me out, it will only make me stronger. He said I need to focus on cardio cardio cardio and some weights afterwards. Cardio to burn the fat first , then focus on weights. As long as I have been workingout, I should be leaner.
Today was squat day and I only did 185lbs. 245lbs is my max.
Of course I want to lose weight and lean out, but I love being strong and I love squats :ohwell:
I know he is only trying to be helpful, but i love the weight room too much.

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    He sounds jelly; perhaps you squat more than he does?
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Your friend doesn't know what he is talking about. Stay in the weight room. As long as you are eating at a calorie deficit, you'll lose. You are doing it the right way.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options

This, HA!!

And I'm jealous; my max squats (for reps) is 205. :blushing:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Huh. So, the fact that I just went down a shirt and pants size with a squat max of 265 must mean that I'm not getting leaner????

Keep squatting and lifting. Maintain a calorie deficit. You'll get the results you want and he'll still be wrong.
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    There's a whole thread on women lifting heavy (with pictures) and dropping inches and toning up. Heavy lifting will do way more for you than cardio! Keep going with the weights!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You burn fat with a calorie deficit, which you build into your diet...you do cardio for your cardiovascular health...you lift for strength and muscle retention/building.

You actually burn more calories for the 48 hour period after a solid strength workout that you do in a singular session of cardio due to the fact that your muscle needs more calories for muscle repair...ergo, you are actually burning more calories at rest from your lift session than if you would have just done cardio that day.

All that said, I don't even worry about calorie burn from my workouts...that's not why I workout...I can control my weight through my diet. I workout for fitness..any good fitness regimen is going to incorporate cardio, endurance, strength, balance, and flexibility. Diet for weight control, exercise for fitness.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Huh. So, the fact that I just went down a shirt and pants size with a squat max of 265 must mean that I'm not getting leaner????

Keep squatting and lifting. Maintain a calorie deficit. You'll get the results you want and he'll still be wrong.

1. ^^You are both serious badasses. :love:
    2. ^^ She is right!
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Squat what you want, but he's right, you should be doing cardio as well. At least 15 minutes of cardio per workout. That's what melts the fat off faster.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    your friend is an idiot...
  • gabinonunes
    gabinonunes Posts: 26 Member
    Options

^^^^ It's all about what you're eating if you want to get leaner. Squat as much as you want, if you're eating unhealthy or too much you won't get very lean.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Squat what you want, but he's right, you should be doing cardio as well. At least 15 minutes of cardio per workout. That's what melts the fat off faster.

ummmm no a calorie deficit melts fat off ...

I dropped about 3% body fat with minimal cardio - maybe once a week - while doing compound lifts...your hypothesis is fatally flawed
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    youre friend is a F%%King dumbass

"cardio cardio cardio" kills muscles.

Squat away sister.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    He's a moron, ignore him.
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Diet for weight control, exercise for fitness.
    [/quote]
    I love this. Thank you all for your support and kind words. I know my profile says I've lost 9 lbs, but I had lost 70 lbs, I then plateaued and now I reset my profile to start a new journey to lose another 75lbs ( in 37lb phases).
    Just to clarify, I do cardio on a regualr basis. I participate in several 5ks and I love cycling outdoors.
    Now that the weather is getting better here in Dallas, I am going to start doing more outdoor running. I enjoy running although my heart is on the weights and the barbells. :heart:
  • judtod
    judtod Posts: 85
    Options
    Do what you love.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    A buddy of mine messaged me and told me I shouldnt be doing heavy squats. It wont lean me out, it will only make me stronger. He said I need to focus on cardio cardio cardio and some weights afterwards. Cardio to burn the fat first , then focus on weights. As long as I have been workingout, I should be leaner.
    Of course I want to lose weight and lean out, but I love being strong and I love squats :ohwell:

What are this guy's credentials? His bro-science is hurting my ears!

How lean you are will be determined by your diet, not how many lbs you are moving.
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much he can squat. I've never worked out with him. Plus he is a guy, he can get fit in a blink of an eye. :grumble:
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

Squat away girl friend, then go shake your awesome rear in his face.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

1. ^^You are both serious badasses. :love:
    2. ^^ She is right!

1. ^^ You are all THREE serious badasses :drinker:
    2. ^^ They are both right!