just break up
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Pics! (And lifts!)
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    A buddy of mine messaged me and told me I shouldnt be doing heavy squats. It wont lean me out, it will only make me stronger. He said I need to focus on cardio cardio cardio and some weights afterwards. Cardio to burn the fat first , then focus on weights. As long as I have been workingout, I should be leaner.
    Today was squat day and I only did 185lbs. 245lbs is my max.
    Of course I want to lose weight and lean out, but I love being strong and I love squats :ohwell:
    I know he is only trying to be helpful, but i love the weight room too much.

You should message your buddy and tell him he shouldn't be sending out uninformed b.s. to you.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    He just can't handle your awesome all up in his play space. It's deflating to ones ego, methinks. Keep squatting! I want to get to that weight one day!
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    A buddy of mine messaged me and told me I shouldnt be doing heavy squats. It wont lean me out, it will only make me stronger. He said I need to focus on cardio cardio cardio and some weights afterwards. Cardio to burn the fat first , then focus on weights. As long as I have been workingout, I should be leaner.
    Of course I want to lose weight and lean out, but I love being strong and I love squats :ohwell:

It will "only" make you stronger? Guess he's ok with being weak then. Also, you look great.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Amanda Harris anyone?

Amanda-3.jpg

Amanda-Harris-Loud-Media-Tom-Stokes-Agent.jpg

weik58f.jpg
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be nice if people who gave advice actually knew what the hell they are talking about?

Sounds like you are going an excellent job, keep working and next time squat 255 and shoot him the death glare across the gym!
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    You burn fat with a calorie deficit, which you build into your diet...you do cardio for your cardiovascular health...you lift for strength and muscle retention/building.

You actually burn more calories for the 48 hour period after a solid strength workout that you do in a singular session of cardio due to the fact that your muscle needs more calories for muscle repair...ergo, you are actually burning more calories at rest from your lift session than if you would have just done cardio that day.

All that said, I don't even worry about calorie burn from my workouts...that's not why I workout...I can control my weight through my diet. I workout for fitness..any good fitness regimen is going to incorporate cardio, endurance, strength, balance, and flexibility. Diet for weight control, exercise for fitness.

WELL SAID!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    He sounds jelly; perhaps you squat more than he does?
  • miche_smash
    miche_smash Posts: 131 Member
    Options

Thank you for posting this article- very inspiring!!
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options

Does he even lift?
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Squat what you want, but he's right, you should be doing cardio as well. At least 15 minutes of cardio per workout. That's what melts the fat off faster.

ummmm no a calorie deficit melts fat off ...

I dropped about 3% body fat with minimal cardio - maybe once a week - while doing compound lifts...your hypothesis is fatally flawed

This. He's not right. I lost all my weight lifting heavy. I hate cardio with a passion. Even once a week cardio is enough for me.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i've heard that weights should come first, then cardio. i don't always follow that, but i say do what works for you. and what the hell is wrong with getting stronger? leaning out is a great and very much wanted side effect of lifting, but i'd say the main purpose is to increase strength :)
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    He's Beta as fvck
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    You're stronger than him! LMAO! Pshhhh. Whatevs. :noway:

Do your squats! Nothing burns more fat than HEAVY squats. I had some fool just tell me some similar ****. He told me I was, "... doing it ALL wrong." I lost 90% of my muffin top in 2mos from lifting progressively heavy. FOOLS.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I bet he eats under 1200 calories to fit in his hipster jeans.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Squat what you want, but he's right, you should be doing cardio as well. At least 15 minutes of cardio per workout. That's what melts the fat off faster.

ummmm no a calorie deficit melts fat off ...

Wrong again, it's a hairdryer that melts off fat.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    see here I thought it was tape worms that got rid of my fat- guess I'll need to go get a hair dryer
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I squatted 145 today!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I squatted 145 today!

Rock on sista :)