Scared to lift!

Options
I used to lift a ton in high school. Actually, I didn't take P.E I took weight training. I was in the 600lb club. I loved to lift.. but now I am way overweight after having my kids... weak... and just embarrassed and nervous to step foot near the weights at Gold's gym because of all the huge buff crazy guys... I will be short, fat, and weak... I am getting butterflies just thinking about it... I want to cry! I am also nervous I wont remember how to do anything! Its been about 6-7 years since I have lifted... (my sophomore year) :(

Replies

• Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I used to go to Gold's Gym as well, my advice would be to find another place. Lifting is fun, healthy and a great challenge. Are there any smaller Crossfit-style gyms in your area? You'll probably be more comfortable there even though you have nothing to be embarrassed about.
  • AlexLeeAS
    AlexLeeAS Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    my membership isn't up for a little under a year from now.. and I cannot afford to pay two gym memberships :(
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    my membership isn't up for a little under a year from now.. and I cannot afford to pay two gym memberships :(

I was a member at Gold's for about 6 years. I have no idea why bull would advise you to change gyms. Guess what, none of the guys lifting will care that you're there. Gold's was by far the best facility I was ever a member at. Too bad my location got bought out.

I'd recommend a couple of Personal Training sessions to get a program put together for you.
  • fitzonegirl
    fitzonegirl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Do they offer any classes at Golds Gym? I belong to a small town fitness center and they offered body pump classes. It would be a good class to start out with (just my thinking) then you can work into the heavy lifting as you feel more comfortable. Great music is a huge motivator for me. Go for Girl!!!!:smile:
  • HealthyLeeLee
    HealthyLeeLee Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Start out smaller until you're comfortable. Who cares what they think anyway (they'll probably be more impressed that you're lifting at all)? You're there for YOU!! Go get em tiger! :wink:
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I used to lift a ton in high school.
    This is the reason why you can lift anywhere and no one will make a fuss or stare at you. Because you have experience and familiarity with lifting. You may be a little rusty, but it'll come back to you within a couple of weeks. And you can always ask for assistance/advice from other experienced lifters at the gym. But I'm certain your past experience will make it so that you're practically invisible to the other experienced lifters.

Edit: Invisible until other experienced lifters ask you to spot them. :)
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    It may help if you have a routine and watch some YouTube videos before you go. Knowing what I am going to do, in what order, helps keep me from wandering around lost LOL. Do you have a plan in mind yet?

I was short fat weak and *old* too when I started. You can do this!
  • Sonjalalala
    Sonjalalala Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Start out smaller until you're comfortable. Who cares what they think anyway (they'll probably be more impressed that you're lifting at all)? You're there for YOU!! Go get em tiger! :wink:

^^^ Best advice :)
    Do it for yourself. Maybe a couple of sessions with a personal trainer to get you back in the groove. You can do this.
  • WASOLADY
    WASOLADY Posts: 4
    Options
    Everyone needs to start somewhere.. and if you cry- then you cry.

When I lift I feel like an idiot. And sometimes I've even cried in the weight room. But I LOVE it. No one is looking at me. And no one is looking at you.

tell your insecurities to "shut up please." and go lift something!
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    My 43 year old coworker lifted for football in high school, quit playing/lifting when he graduated, and didn't touch a weight for 25 years. I dragged him to the gym with me a few weeks ago and got him started on a lifting routine - he started light, but he had near-perfect form on everything. You don't lose memory of how to do things like that when they're that ingrained in you. Don't worry about that part, and DEFINITELY don't worry about what the guys in the gym are thinking. No one cares what you're doing - you're there for you, they're there for them. I think the hardest part will be your frustration that you can't lift as much weight as you used to.... Just accept that and start working to get back to where you were. You can do it =)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    just grab weights you need and leave to a smaller corner.

Least you are there.

Lift the things- ask for help from someone if you need it.

Pick some basic moves- you don't even need weights- pick a small corner... do squats- push ups- curl presses- and lunges (All can be done with 5/10 lbs too)

you'll never get better if you don't do it- so just summon the 5 seconds of courgae needed and start walking- don't give your self time to chicken out.

Write down the program.
    Go to the gym.
    Find a corner
    Grab the wegihts.
    Go to corner
    work out.
    RACK YOUR WEIGHTS
    Pat self on back-
    go home
    shower
    eat.

no time for saying no!
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    find a squat rack, claim it, and do your thing.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options

I was a member at Gold's for about 6 years. I have no idea why bull would advise you to change gyms. Guess what, none of the guys lifting will care that you're there. Gold's was by far the best facility I was ever a member at. Too bad my location got bought out.

I'd recommend a couple of Personal Training sessions to get a program put together for you.

My experience there was one of apathetic trainers with no interest in anything but pushing people on to their latest gadget machines. It's not just Gold's Gym, it's any of the big box chains.
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm usually the only girl in the weight room at my gym, and I'm old enough to be most of the boys' mother (age 47). I just put my headphones in, ignore everyone else, and do my thing.

As a side note, I did have a little bit of a humorous thing happen on Friday.....I was going to do deadlifts and added the weights to the barbell....forgot to subtract the weight of the bar. I struggled through 3 reps before I realized my mistake. I'm sure I looked like a doofus, but ya know what?....no one even noticed. All the boys were too busy doing their own workouts to see what the old lady was doing.

All that to say.....for better or for worse, no one will pay any attention to you. Just get in there, get it done, go home and eat some protein. :wink:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

My experience there was one of apathetic trainers with no interest in anything but pushing people on to their latest gadget machines. It's not just Gold's Gym, it's any of the big box chains.

Never had an issue. I really miss it.
  • fatrandia
    fatrandia Posts: 1
    Options
    Best thing about "buff crazy dudes" is that they are paying attention to themselves and what they are doing, NOT YOU! Have at it and you will be suprised how quickly it will all come back to you.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    SUNS OUT GUNS OUT ... don't be scared of the weight room, as long as your doing things properly no one will even care. If you aren't sure what you should be doing, then that's a different story but you said you have already taken weight training in HS, so no reason to not just start there. The "vanilla lifts" the core stuff, you don't need to be doing, upside down Cuban clean and snatches while hanging in the squat rack (come to think of no one needs to be doing that :D) ... Just do your thing and enjoy yourself, that's what the weight room is about enjoying yourself.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I used to lift a ton in high school. Actually, I didn't take P.E I took weight training. I was in the 600lb club. I loved to lift.. but now I am way overweight after having my kids... weak... and just embarrassed and nervous to step foot near the weights at Gold's gym because of all the huge buff crazy guys... I will be short, fat, and weak... I am getting butterflies just thinking about it... I want to cry! I am also nervous I wont remember how to do anything! Its been about 6-7 years since I have lifted... (my sophomore year) :(

To be honest, no one will even be paying attention to you at the gym. Girls who actually lift at my gym get more positive feedback then negative, and those "huge crazy buff guys" are the ones helping them out. It's just a stereotype...

Just do you!
  • liftreadphilosophize
    liftreadphilosophize Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Check out Jamie Eason's LiveFit Trainer program for some great lifting routines (with descriptions and videos of the moves) to help get you started! It will definitely help to have a set program for the day in mind to help you be more focused and get past those feelings of nervousness.

And I totally empathize with you on the nervousness thing. It took me a long time to get over my fear, and I was lucky that my Gold's had a women-only section with free weights. But now I just put my ear buds in and ignore everyone, and I feel just fine. Go get 'em! You'll be great and will thank yourself for pushing past the nervousness. :-)

Good luck!
  • lzlsk
    lzlsk Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    After a while it will get easier as you get more comfortable with your routine. My husband just won a one year membership for the two of us at that chain. After two kids, I have about 75 lbs to lose. I used to lift when I was younger... I traded personal training from the owners who were active competitors for web design in high school. I remember feeling the same way your describing after being a few years off program. There is a book called "The Body Sculpting Bible for Women" (and a version for men) that tells explicitly how to do the exercise correctly and how to prevent injury. It's good for dumbbells and machines. It comes with a dvd if you get the paperback edition but it's also available on kindle. That helped when I needed a refresher before I became pregnant with my first. I've had people compliment my form from it. I'm reviewing it again before I start up later this week and I'm glad I have it as a reference. I believe what is written in it is valuable enough and missed in many videos. When your doing exercises right, results are exponentially better. If you have a reference you like this much, it can help restore your confidence.

As for what others think, I bet people are more worried how they look and if they do think of you, there are other things that will change their focus such as what they are doing or will do next or their own insecurities and/or stressors. If you see the same people, they might comment on your positive changes over time. Some might even offer help if they notice your form is off. Use them as motivation and focus on you. Not everyone there always looked that way. You can do this -- after a while you will become more comfortable in your own skin. Hope this helps! Good luck :)