Scared to lift!

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    my membership isn't up for a little under a year from now.. and I cannot afford to pay two gym memberships :(

I was a member at Gold's for about 6 years. I have no idea why bull would advise you to change gyms. Guess what, none of the guys lifting will care that you're there. Gold's was by far the best facility I was ever a member at. Too bad my location got bought out.

I'd recommend a couple of Personal Training sessions to get a program put together for you.

^This on all counts. WTF is up with the gold's hate I see on MFP from time to time. I'm not the most welcoming personality, and I've had nothing but warm and fuzzies from golds, and I'm nowhere near mr olympia with the weights.
  • Becksga
    Becksga Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with this same thing.... I"ve been trying to find times when not many guys are there but it seems that there is always a couple hulks skulking around. They intimidate me....not because the say or do anything...just their presence. I went yesterday and ended up in a little room with little 12lb weights when what I really wanted to do was play with the squat rack and try deadlifts.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Do they offer any classes at Golds Gym? I belong to a small town fitness center and they offered body pump classes. It would be a good class to start out with (just my thinking) then you can work into the heavy lifting as you feel more comfortable. Great music is a huge motivator for me. Go for Girl!!!!:smile:

This is exactly what I was going to say! I've been doing body pump for a couple of weeks now and it has been SO helpful - both strength and technique wise. I'm sure it'll be much easier for you (like riding a bike?) to get back in to it. The other thing I've realized is that NOBODY CARES that you're there. Nobody checks out how much you lift. The guys that are there are so in their own zones that they couldn't care less that you're there with them. Go give it a shot... what do you have to lose? :)
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Just go for it, I lift at a Gold's no one is paying attention to anyone but themselves, maybe if you are doing something really stupid like hanging upside down and trying to do curls someone might, but otherwise don't slam weights and no one takes a second look.
  • MudRunLvr
    MudRunLvr Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Muscle memory. Once you grab that bar it's gonna be like riding a bike. You'll remember how much you miss it and you'll be shocked you waited this long.

Now get up and grab some iron.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    It's like riding a bicycle.. You don't forget how ever in your life
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I liked Gold's Gym in NC when we lived there. I went in the morning when I was a stay at home mom. Most Gold's gyms have a lady weight lifting room...maybe start in there until you get a feel for handling the weights again.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Just go to Gold's. And leave your ego at the door. Start ridiculously light...no, even lighter than that...now a little lighter. Yeah, right there. Assuming you knew what you were doing in HS, it'll come back to you quickly. If not, use a trainer. But don't push yourself...yet. There will be plenty of time for pushing your limits a few weeks/months from now once you're acclimated to the work again.*

(* From someone who struggles to follow his own advice and assumes (incorrectly) that he can just pick up where he left off 15 years ago...)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with this same thing.... I"ve been trying to find times when not many guys are there but it seems that there is always a couple hulks skulking around. They intimidate me....not because the say or do anything...just their presence. I went yesterday and ended up in a little room with little 12lb weights when what I really wanted to do was play with the squat rack and try deadlifts.

so do it.

I really am struggling to understand- they don't do anything but lift and make jokes.

Just go in there and grab the weights and dead lift. no one will judge you for trying.
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    See if you can afford a trainer for a couple of sessions just to show you the ropes and if you are really uncomfortable about others ask you gym what their slower days and hours are and go in then at first til you are comfortable.

PS Lifting is awesome! So much better than cardio!
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I use Golds Gym... Those guys are always nice to me.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I also go to Gold's Gym.
    And also a short chunky girl, lol.

Been planning my first workout of the StrongLifts 5x5 program. Walked into the weight room, guys pumping, grunting, slamming wts. I went at 8pm hoping it was late enough to have less people there. I was so nervous I felt like passing out, lol.

Thought OMG, I'm not ready for this!!! Walked out.
    Later worked up the nerve to try it again, and plan on going again and again. I'm just using the bar as I'm a newbie, but hope that as I build on strength, I also build on confidence.

If I can do this, you can too! :happy:

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    By 8 PM most of the afternoon- just need to get my workout done for the day people are gone- the only people at the gym from 8-11 at my gym are generally the serious lifters. I'd actually go in the morning super early. or around like 2-3 PM.

If it's night time it feels less intimidating- don't ask why but it does.

And yes- keep working with the bar- as your form/technique improves- your confidence and ability to lift will grow dramatically.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I'm usually the only girl in the weight room at my gym, and I'm old enough to be most of the boys' mother (age 47). I just put my headphones in, ignore everyone else, and do my thing.

As a side note, I did have a little bit of a humorous thing happen on Friday.....I was going to do deadlifts and added the weights to the barbell....forgot to subtract the weight of the bar. I struggled through 3 reps before I realized my mistake. I'm sure I looked like a doofus, but ya know what?....no one even noticed. All the boys were too busy doing their own workouts to see what the old lady was doing.

All that to say.....for better or for worse, no one will pay any attention to you. Just get in there, get it done, go home and eat some protein. :wink:

On the bright side, you realized you can lift at least 45lbs more than you think you can. I wish I had that problem!
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Do they offer any classes at Golds Gym? I belong to a small town fitness center and they offered body pump classes. It would be a good class to start out with (just my thinking) then you can work into the heavy lifting as you feel more comfortable. Great music is a huge motivator for me. Go for Girl!!!!:smile:

My Gold's Gym is awesome!!! Love love love it!

Many classes (zumba, gravity, yoga, pump, pilates, kickboxing, boxing, jiu jitsu, etc), MMA building, outdoor wt room and indoor, cardio theater, pool, sauna, therapy pool, basketball.

I know gyms vary as to what they offer, I know some up in LA are different than mine too.
  • KickboxFanatic
    KickboxFanatic Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    6 weeks ago I was exactly in your shoes. I spent months in the cardio section of the gym, drooling over the idea of getting back to lifting after many years away from it. I finally asked myself why I wasn't in there doing it and it was fear. I was scared of those big boys in there and didn't want to be laughed at. SCREW THAT!!!!! So the next day, I made a plan and started attacking the weight room. Those boys barely even knew I was there.

Last night, I went in, did my thing and actually got a high five from one of them "good job tonight girl". :D

So my advice. Just do it. You know you love it. You were born to lift! Don't let those boys intimidate you, just do it. Make a plan and do it!
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm usually the only girl in the weight room at my gym, and I'm old enough to be most of the boys' mother (age 47). I just put my headphones in, ignore everyone else, and do my thing.

As a side note, I did have a little bit of a humorous thing happen on Friday.....I was going to do deadlifts and added the weights to the barbell....forgot to subtract the weight of the bar. I struggled through 3 reps before I realized my mistake. I'm sure I looked like a doofus, but ya know what?....no one even noticed. All the boys were too busy doing their own workouts to see what the old lady was doing.

All that to say.....for better or for worse, no one will pay any attention to you. Just get in there, get it done, go home and eat some protein. :wink:

On the bright side, you realized you can lift at least 45lbs more than you think you can. I wish I had that problem!
    Yes! I called it my 1RM, although I did at least 3 reps. LOL. I recorded in my lifting log, and my trainer said, "Well, I see it's time to up your deadlift weight....."
  • hungrywhodat
    hungrywhodat Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Everyone is so intimidated by "experienced" gym people.

I wish the "new people" could know just how ridiculous that is.

If you aren't sure what you're doing or can't remember, ask someone. It's kind of a secret, but gym people actually tend to enjoy dispensing helpful lifting tips. You may have noticed this every time you ever talked to someone who works out a lot and didn't want to hear anything about it.
  • hungrywhodat
    hungrywhodat Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Those boys barely even knew I was there.

Oh, they knew you were there

They just didn't mind
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    i know what you mean! i was really scared to start lifting too! i took my husband with me to help me the first few times to help me with form, etc. now i normally go at like 5 AM, and there's only a handful of people there. it stinks getting up so early, but it's nice that there's no waiting for equipment or tons of people clogging the place up. i'm sure like tons of people said already, once you get back in there, it'll all come back to you quickly! you could try going really early when it's not busy in order to get yourself back into it. plus it feels good to start the day off with exercise! you can totally do this!!!!