How do you talk yourself OUT of late night snacking?

Options

Replies

• Alexandra289
    Alexandra289 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I either save my calories so I can have a bigger snack in the evening or I have some fruit if I don't have many calories left. Also, I start to plan my breakfast for the next day haha , always look forward to my big bowl of porridge in the morning.
  • kezza8888
    kezza8888 Posts: 75
    Options
    Cups of Tea or an early night - Sad but true!
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    What late night snacking? Why?
  • d9123
    d9123 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    drink water or tea
  • meriken
    meriken Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    try a cup of miso soup or chicken stock the saltiness is good to take the cravings away plus i just tell myself after seven oclock ive eaten i might want it but i dont need it. that has worked for the past 5 years. no regain lost 11kgs
  • wanderer2222
    Options
    I try to distract myself. A lot of times, a craving will pass after a little while. It's usually caused by boredom. So I'll go clean something or go check the mail or go DO SOMETHING to take my mind off food.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    More comical than realistic, but some other funny bugger once posted about binge eating...if you are going to do it , eat in front of a full length mirror naked...I would add make sure it is also cold.

See how long you last, unless your vanity smurf :P
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    These are some tricks that work for me:

-I reserve some extra calories for after dinner so that I can have a small dessert. Usually that ends up being a yogurt, some fruit, a little bit of chocolate peanut butter, a hot cocoa, a hot herbal tea, or some combination of those things.

-I don't keep "dangerous food" in my house. Dangerous food for me is food (usually snacks) that are so tempting for me that it destroys my willpower, I can just keep eating and eating and eating it, and once I start I just can't stop lol. So yeah, I keep those type of foods OUT of my house!

-One of my best little tricks: Whatever I'm craving that night, I promise myself that I won't have it now but that I *WILL* fit it into my day tomorrow! And then I go on MFP right then and there and pre-plan my meals for tomorrow to fit in that snack I was craving. Usually works and makes me feel better knowing that I'll get to have it tomorrow.

-When all else fails and that late night sweet craving is still going strong, I turn to my Ghirardelli hot cocoa powder and have just ONE spoon. It's like 30 calories but because it's such a strong and dense chocolate powder, it usually satisfies and KILLS my sweet craving right away!
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Take the snack out of the fridge/drawer - log the calorie in MFP - decide if they look worth it - if they do, go for a 15 minute walk around your neighborhood - come home do jumping jacks/jump rope for 10 minutes - if you still want it, eat the snack
  • zoefisher2785
    Options
    I have an outfit in my target size constantly on show - if i feel like i need chocolate or naughty food I will look at my outfit and think 'i'd rather be skinny than undo all my hard work by eating this'

42529893.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • sylv1979
    sylv1979 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    willpower

This is pretty obvious. Think she was looking for some advice and tips rather than stating the obvious.

Must be difficult being so perfect.
  • sylv1979
    sylv1979 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Husband works backshift and when kids in bed and time to relax. I find it hard to resist late night snacking. So I still snack but try find lower calorie alternatives, have an earlier night than usual and maybe a relaxing bath to distract myself from eating more. :) good luck
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I look in the mirror and say. You're good enough, smart enough, and gosh darnit, people like you...
  • smoootka
    smoootka Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Laziness does it for me most of the times :blushing:
    Once i'm in bed i'm too lazy to get out and go to the kitchen. A fair distance to the kitchen helps, too. lol. Lord forbid watching cooking shows before bedtime. Did that the other night with Anthony Bourdain's No reservations - Greek islands and I almost had to tie myself to the bed. Wowie. Still can't believe I managed to stay out of the kitchen that night.

So yes, willpower has a lot to do with it. But seriously, if I eat properly and enough through the day, then I don't really have problems at night. If I do, I try to eat some fruit or maybe pickles and drink water.

Congrats on throwing the snacks out, having nothing like that in the house sure helps! I love it when I go to search for bad bad food when I have a craving and can't find any. Can't find it, can't eat it. So, thank you, mom, for not buying any crapy food for yourself (lucky her, all skinny and *kitten* :laugh:) and in this way helping me :D
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    diet draaank and distract myself with Netflix or games until I pass out because I know I'll be eating in the morning.
  • fakeuntilumakeit
    Options
    Yep I also love those late evening snacks, but found the following sometimes help

TV off...........go do something else, even if its boring ironing or washing up.

Exercise

Go to bed

Brush teeth

Only healthy snack e.g. bowl of porridge (fills you nicely)

And the obvious one, make sure your eating enough throughout the day.

:smile:
  • Arwaxx
    Arwaxx Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I read someone saying in another post that they brush their teeth !! I think that's a good idea
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Isn't it funny how the junk foods in your cupboard call out your name when it comes to night time?

Some good tips that I have heard that has helped me:
    - brush your teeth
    - drink water / hot tea
    - keep your hands busy (e.g. tidying your room, crocheting, wtever)
    - don't buy the junk food in the first place
    - go out for a short walk
    - safe some calories for the night time snack and make sure it's something good that you will feel satisfied afterwards
    - close your eyes and count slowly from your CW to your GW, take deep breaths
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Take the snack out of the fridge/drawer - log the calorie in MFP - decide if they look worth it - if they do, go for a 15 minute walk around your neighborhood - come home do jumping jacks/jump rope for 10 minutes - if you still want it, eat the snack

Haha the thought of 10 mins of jumping jacks probably will make me not wanna eat anything and go to bed :P
  • BBM3011
    BBM3011 Posts: 5
    Options
    I also late night snack and it seems that if noone can see you then it doesnt count. Surround yourself with friends and family and keep your hands busy. Knit, cross stich, make jewllery or clean.