How do you talk yourself OUT of late night snacking?

Options

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Protein shake
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Skip breakfast and shift your entire eating pattern to later...
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    My bane used to be tea and cookies. I can still remember the taste and texture of those cookies. I want them. Now. With tea.

The only way to avoid having tea and cookies was by not going there. For a long time I didn't have tea in the evening, until I managed to drink tea without wanting cookies. As for all the other stuff I then started craving: I just had to stop - cold turkey, no eating after a certain time.

I have actually loosened up on that now, if I have calories to spare, I will eat or have some cocoa or something, but now it is no longer a habit, but a choice. I just had to be strict and break the habit.

Imagining myself in ten years, if I kept gaining weight, helped a lot.
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I drink a sweet chamomile tea instead with half a teaspoon of honey. That's all I allow myself after dinner and it does help, it means I still have something nice at the end of the day but without the calories.
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I have notes on and in my fridge that say things like "Walk away fatty" "Are you hungry or just bored?" "Are you tired?" "Have some water" and a huge sign brightly colored with an arrow that says "Carrots!"

Brushing my teeth helps a lot because I hate to eat with that minty mouth feeling. Or I will do my nails. Or sometimes brush the dogs.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Big trick is to always have some broccoli steamers in the fridge. I throw a bag and eat half, even at midnight, the calorie effects are minimal, but boy does it stuff you and kills any hunger.

I'd rather go hungry! Yeurrgh!

I won't even look for anything until I'm half-way down a cup oftea - if I'm still hungry I look for something to fit wihtin the calories I have left. I look at my calories across a week (so i can have a roast dinner on a Sunday without blowing the week, for example) and try to save a few each day to give me a buffer. I also look at how much exercise it takes to "earn" those calories - do i want to "waste" those calories on this particular food item, or would I rather save them for the weekend?

Its not easy - I can't hae a biscuit tin near me, i have to have a single pre-wrapped treat (such as a 2-finger kitkat or weightwatchers Belgian choc biscuit) so I can't have more than one. And I get really low calorie snacks such as Walkers French Fries or Quavers so if I'm desperate fo a bag of crisps that is what I have - IF I have the calories of course.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I just think about how crappy I'll feel in the morning.
  • Dmaster1214
    Dmaster1214 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I eat most of my calories at the end of the day.

That way, I'm too full to think about snacking, but I'm still losing weight.

I found if I eat my calories early on in the day, by the time night comes, I have none or too little calories left and the hunger is tempting.

Try eating a larger portion of your allowed calories later in the day so you'll be satiated on the most tempting hour (the one right before bedtime!)

trust me, it works. I've lost 20 pounds thanks to doing this.

Use meal timing to your advantage!
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I tend to have nightmares if I eat near bed time. That stops me from late night snacking.
  • kavanaghev
    kavanaghev Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I usually plan ahead of time to have 3/4 cup cereal (honeynut cheerios is a fave, but the chocolate special K is bomb, too) and 1/2 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk. It's about 130 cals, but I eat it out of a cup and it's so sweet and cold and I don't know, I choose it over ice cream anyday. Plus, it's crunchy, so it kind of nicks my crunchies. Also, if I decide to have another serving (if I have the cals), I can use the leftover milk and it's only another 110 cals.
  • Nicolette04
    Nicolette04 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My house is so much cleaner now that I have started MFP. I am a total late night, boredom snacker. So instead of snacking, I will do the dishes, or laundry. Boring, I know, but it keeps my energy going, keeps the boredom snacking away, and also has helped me with my major laziness issues.

Also, I usually try to save some calories for that time, because I know that I will want something. I keep junk out of my house, and I usually choose 100 cal popcorn bags or veggies to snack on. Also, I watch TV on my computer, on my bed. I've made a rule that if I am going to eat, I have to eat at the kitchen table, and that helps me stop mindless eating in front of the TV. I find exercising at night helps.

41144800.png
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Do something else when you get the urge to snack, push ups, jumping jacks or have sex.
  • galaxysue
    galaxysue Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Bit boring go to bed
  • sznnn
    sznnn Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    double post...
  • sznnn
    sznnn Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of decaf chai tea. I used to keep sugar free jell-o on hand, but the tea is better for me. It takes me a while to drink it and by the time I'm done I know if I am or really was hungry or if I was just feeling snacky.
  • KevinLamb77
    KevinLamb77 Posts: 87
    Options
    Sometimes I'm not successful, but most of the time I just tell my self, "you don't need it you fat *kitten*", and then I just go to bed. I find sleeping is the best way for me not to snack at that point. :laugh: :laugh:
  • khans17
    khans17 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I either drink camomile tea or I brush my teeth and that makes me not want to eat...
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I don't. I do most of my eating at night most times because that's when I have the most desire to eat. Therefor, I save up my calories specifically for that reason. Then it doesn't matter if I late night snack because I've planned for it.
  • Sactown900
    Sactown900 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I look at my aerobics and calorie totals for the day. If I am in a big deficit "1000 for the day net," I'll have a high protein snack.
  • Kpablo
    Kpablo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I have late night cravings periodically. I just brush my teeth and go to bed. Brushing my teeth really helps me.