Protein cannot get stored as fat

Options

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    It can, it's just harder and less efficient to store as fat. Fats take almost no energy to store as body fat, carbs require a little bit more energy, and protein takes a lot more energy. It's a very inefficient macro. Hell, the TEF of protein is 25%.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options

I don't really agree with some of the claims in this article. How can he be certain that the carbon skeleton from an amino acid or a carbohydrate for that matter is unlikely to be used for lipogenesis? A substrate is a substrate no matter it's origin.

Curious now....I must go and do some reading...
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Seems more to me that protein is less likely to be stored as fat than fat or carbohydrates, but if you ate a diet of 3000 calories of protein and your TDEE was 2000 you would gain fat, that's what I think anyway.

Correct.

It is the excess calories that lead to fat accumulation.

In short this kind of question about whether protein can get converted into body fat (theoretically possible but unlikely) is rather missing the point. Ultimately it is about calories ;)

This is not the case, as there is an upper limit on the amount of calories of protein that can be used by the body daily. Something like 600 calories. Google rabbit starvation.
    And if they're not used, guess what happens to them.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    There are probably few "peer reviewed papers" around because this is accepted knowledge. A textbook on metabolic biochemistry will show how metabolic pathways are linked and excess macronutrients (whatever they are) are broken down and reassembled and stored as fat if in excess. If you would really like to see some evidence, I can probably find something in an online textbook. I'll have a look...

Yup.

590metabolism.gif

yup yup. ;D
  • iamkass
    iamkass Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If you can find a source of protein that is zero calories and has 0 grams of every other macronutrient... let me know.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

wow. according to this link neither protein nor carbs can be converted to fat. since we've heard that fat doesn't necessarily turn into fat i guess nothing turns to fat. nothing but magic.

i'm gonna have to pass on that one
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

wow. according to this link neither protein nor carbs can be converted to fat. since we've heard that fat doesn't necessarily turn into fat i guess nothing turns to fat. nothing but magic.

He acknowledges that carbs can convert to fat, it's just under very limited circumstances.

More detail about it here:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/nutrient-intake-nutrient-storage-and-nutrient-oxidation.html
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Fat is distilled from the wishes of fast predators. Oh and zombies.
    tumblr_mmjf3avZQr1s10m6fo1_400.gif
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

So I can go back to drinking 4 gallons of high fructose corn syrup packed soda a day and I have nothing to worry about?

5apb13.jpg
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options

So I can go back to drinking 4 gallons of high fructose corn syrup packed soda a day and I have nothing to worry about?

5apb13.jpg

All that sweet sweet carb juice will turn into pure muscle bro.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    why does it matter? if anyone had to eat that much protein 'over' their calories, I'm sure it wouldn't be health at all... poor kidneys
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Seems more to me that protein is less likely to be stored as fat than fat or carbohydrates, but if you ate a diet of 3000 calories of protein and your TDEE was 2000 you would gain fat, that's what I think anyway.

Correct.

It is the excess calories that lead to fat accumulation.

In short this kind of question about whether protein can get converted into body fat (theoretically possible but unlikely) is rather missing the point. Ultimately it is about calories ;)

^^yep. You need to look at the whole picture and how nutrients would be partitioned and not just at one macro in isolation.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Lol - no, all he was saying that it is much less likely for lipogenesis (fat creation) to come about from dietary protein then carbs then fat. For protein to be become body fat it has to onvert into amino acids, convert to glucose, find insulin, turn to fatty acids, and then do a little dance with glycerol-3-phospate. Whether this entire process gets to be completed depends on what else is going on in the body at the same time but it seems unlikely.

Again, this is a theoretical point more than anything.

In the real world, we eat food. Food usually contains a number of things, not solely carbs or fat or protein in isolation. Although a piece of steak is classified as "protein" it also contains fat. Whilst a grain like quinoa is classified as a "carb" it also contains protein etc. Trying to figure out exactly the fate of these nutrients in a real world scenario is a bit pointless in reality. No one could ever have a pure protein diet even if they wanted to (that would lead to death in the long term anyway!)

Overall energy balance is the final thing which determines the storage or burning of body fat. We could try ourselves mad with the "Is a calorie really a calorie" question but in a real world scenario it is not worth worrying about (in the absence of metabolic disorders etc..)
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

I don't really agree with some of the claims in this article. How can he be certain that the carbon skeleton from an amino acid or a carbohydrate for that matter is unlikely to be used for lipogenesis? A substrate is a substrate no matter it's origin.

De Novo lipogenesis is an irrelevant process in a normally functioning human. This is well established by science.

Converting carbs/protein to fat is nonsense. Overeating on carbs/protein can cause a state where all ingested fat is stored instead of burned. Carb and protein intake controls the ratio of fat burn:storage.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It's not I don't agree with the theory that it's harder convert protein to fat than the other macros, but I take issue with how it's presented. It's that all or nothing fallacy that tends to dominate a lot of the F&N threads. I mean, the author dispels one all or nothing (who's gonna eat 1250 grams of protein) but then uses a different all or nothing to back up his point (it would take 700 grams of carbs!).

Also makes assumptions in favor of it's argument. Satiation powers of protein, glycogen depletion, etc., that will vary for different people and can't be assumed. Like I said, I do believe it's harder to get fat off of protein but I'd never present it as impossible or even unlikely. Like anything else, if you exceed your caloric limits, bad things happen.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options

De Novo lipogenesis is an irrelevant process in a normally functioning human. This is well established by science.

Converting carbs/protein to fat is nonsense. Overeating on carbs/protein can cause a state where all ingested fat is stored instead of burned. Carb and protein intake controls the ratio of fat burn:storage.

Nope, this is simply incorrect and is certainly not well established by science.

Here's a nice review article in a high impact factor journal that discusses it in relation to carbs.

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v28/n4s/full/0802852a.html
  • jalloggio
    jalloggio Posts: 141
    Options
    It's unlikely unless you are practically starving to death. But to make the statement "protein cannot get stored as fat" is highly inaccurate
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

Nope, this is simply incorrect and is certainly not well established by science.

Here's a nice review article in a high impact factor journal that discusses it in relation to carbs.

Did you read the experiment?

Clearly eating 700-800-900-1000g carbs day after day is normal eating patterns for a human. In that experiment DNL didn't start until 1500g carbs had been consumed within 2 days, without exercise, and then started ramping up as the CHO intake continued to climb.

DNL can occur no doubt, but to absolutely top off glycogen and begin DNL as a safety valve release for excess carbs takes dietary conditions a normal human is unlikely to experience.

You need to keep reading up on this. DNL is irrelevant in a normal functioning human, this is widely agreed apon. It is though to start occurring about when CHO intake exceeds TDEE for a couple days. Which is exactly what this experiment shows.

And something that 0.0% of people reading this have in their food diaries.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options

Did you read the experiment?

Clearly eating 700-800-900-1000g carbs day after day is normal eating patterns for a human. In that experiment DNL didn't start until 1500g carbs had been consumed within 2 days, without exercise, and then started ramping up as the CHO intake continued to climb.

DNL can occur no doubt, but to absolutely top off glycogen and begin DNL as a safety valve release for excess carbs takes dietary conditions a normal human is unlikely to experience.

You need to keep reading up on this. DNL is irrelevant in a normal functioning human, this is widely agreed apon.
    Which experiment are you referring to?

I can assure you that this it is not widely accepted in the scientific community, although it seems to be widely accepted in the bodybuilding community based on a few old studies. I accept that under usual conditions, it is not energetically favourable but I am convinced that is way more complex than the simplistic view that is interpreted from some of the studies I have read.

Edit: Just saw your edit. I'm not talking about individuals eating under requirements and I'm assuming that the OP wasn't either.