Just don't GIVE UP!!

Options

Replies

• karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Just bumping this again. Who knows, maybe someone out there who is feeling down needs to read this!! :smile:
    [/quote]:drinker: :flowerforyou: :blushing: Thank you for posting this. Will you please kick my butt?:grumble:
  • divaLibra105
    Options
    Thanks Dave.......
  • 135OHK
    135OHK Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Been on this journey with MFP for over two years...lots of ups and downs, but I wouldnt' dream of quitting because I know what would happen. I'd be right back up to where I was and then some!! But I do hate it when people come on here 'new' and expect to lose weight like 'biggest loser people'. That's not 'normal OR healthy' people. It's not easy changing your lifestyle, but that's what needs to be done in order to lose the fat and get healthy. I'm in it for the long haul!
  • trodney1104
    trodney1104 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank!! I really needed to hear this today! I was feeling somewhat discouraged!! :wink:
  • SutapaMukherji
    SutapaMukherji Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I wish I had read it earlier when I was so frustrated about not losing weight. :smile:

I am good now, but wouldn't mind a little motivation. Feel free to add me :flowerforyou:
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    You said it so well! People are wanting those results "right now". When I took on the same attitude as you wrote about, it happened over time and in a healthy way. Now I'm shifting to maintenance which has always been the bigger problem. This time I know I'm not "done" but have to continue on eating well and moving if I don't want to regain the weight again (and again and again)! Thank you for putting it in common sense terms. It might keep some from giving up because it does take time to do it well.
  • Heather032190
    Heather032190 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am not really down anymore about the slow weight loss but this is still a Killer Motivational advice. So with that being said I am bumping because I am pretty sure there are alot of people waiting to read something like this.

Thansk Dave. And I am sending a request your way!

:flowerforyou: :smile:
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    Fully agree Dave, excellent post.

Sorry to hijack your post, but the other thing I'll add is: 'don't make it too hard for yourself'.

This was my curse in the past. I was working out for stupid hours with everything hurting, limiting my calories and starving; couldn't concentrate properly on work and my career, couldn't enjoy meeting up with friends..and then I'd think to myself: what is the point, and can I keep this up much longer?

Once I gave myself permission to work with my body, listened to my hunger cues and stopped obsessing about everything that went in my mouth, life became much better. My routine now works for me, not the other way round. I still exercise a lot but I enjoy it, I don't hours of pointless cardio for the sake of it, I take breaks when I need to. I pretty much eat what I want, without that out-of-control binge feeling. I am now more slender than I was at my lowest ('goal') weight.

Also (apologies to those who don't share my Christian beliefs), a huge part of it was learning to accept myself as I am, realising my intrinsic worth in the eyes of God as more than a bag of flesh and bones designed to battle with feelings of never being good enough. I have also learned to see food as a gift that I am privileged to have access to enjoy - not something to use to abuse myself or punish my body (My younger sister who is eight years younger but a wiser head than me once said to me: "I deserve to eat because I am alive, and I don't have to earn the right to do so").
  • JenToms80
    JenToms80 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Hear hear! :drinker:
  • mclgo
    mclgo Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I'm approaching this with the mentality that this isn't temporary. This is a life change. I just can't eat whatever I want. I MUST moderate or I will gain weight and become ill with all that comes with obesity. Other people have to learn to quit smoking, or use an artificial limb, or what-have-you. This is my limitation and it's not so horrible.
    Thanks
    Margaret
  • Jensenwellington
    Jensenwellington Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Best post ever!

I need to understand that this is a lifechange and NOT just a diet :happy:

Thanks for posting this, thanks! :happy:
  • scling83
    scling83 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Great advice. Exactly what I needed to hear! :smile: Thank you!
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! I am dead center in the middle of my weight loss, (around six months in) and I needed a boost. I have always failed at weight loss attemps in the past, I truly believe that this time is different because I repeat to myself again and again NEVER GIVE UP. I cant fail if I never quit. Time is going to pass in my life whether I lose or gain, so I may as well lose.
  • battyg13
    battyg13 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Great advice.

Couldnt agree more.

There is no quick fix. everyone will reach their destination if they stay on track.
  • Lissette_Brooks
    Lissette_Brooks Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Ugh so true! Thanks for the post. :)
  • daveymac1
    daveymac1 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Just bumping this again. Who knows, maybe someone out there who is feeling down needs to read this!! :smile:
    :drinker: :flowerforyou: :blushing: Thank you for posting this. Will you please kick my butt?:grumble:
    [/quote]

Your butt has been kicked!!
  • Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Right On!
  • mickeyullrich
    mickeyullrich Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Best post I have read in a while! Thanks for sharing :smile: !
  • ceciliaiv
    ceciliaiv Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    good reminder!
  • kelly6981
    kelly6981 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Glad this was bumped...I did need to see this.