Eating makes me more hungry..

Options
124»

Replies

• jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hi OP! I nurse full time and I'm also hungry ALL the time!!!!! It's really hormonal. I see some people recommend you to fast for 2-3 days. Um, no. Not if you still want to be able to breastfeed. Fasting will take a big tool on your supply. I'm curious about the 200 calories you log for breastfeeding. How do you know it's accurate? The whole "500 cals burn" for full time nursing seems such a random number. I personally don't know how I burn. Right now, I don't log my food. i just eat all the time, but I try to make sensible choices. I estimated that I eat over 2000 cals a day. I lift weights. The changes are very slow, but I prefer it this way. Being too aggressive with my diet will affect my supply.

Yeah, I would never fast!

I have read that 1 oz = 20 calories. I know I don't nurse 20 oz everyday, but some days more and some days less, so the -200 is what is in MFP and it is what I use. I figure at the end of the week, it evens out.

My son is almost 2, he eats 3 meals and 2-3 snacks a day and also drinks cows milk.. I do not mind if I lose my supply.. but I have gone away and not pumped or nursed for 2 days and kept it.. so apparently, I have bionic boobs. I dunno.

He nurses anywhere from 1-6x a day. Sometimes for 5 minutes, sometimes for an hour. It's very inconsistent at his age.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Hi OP! I nurse full time and I'm also hungry ALL the time!!!!! It's really hormonal. I see some people recommend you to fast for 2-3 days. Um, no. Not if you still want to be able to breastfeed. Fasting will take a big tool on your supply. I'm curious about the 200 calories you log for breastfeeding. How do you know it's accurate? The whole "500 cals burn" for full time nursing seems such a random number. I personally don't know how I burn. Right now, I don't log my food. i just eat all the time, but I try to make sensible choices. I estimated that I eat over 2000 cals a day. I lift weights. The changes are very slow, but I prefer it this way. Being too aggressive with my diet will affect my supply.

Yeah, I would never fast!

I have read that 1 oz = 20 calories. I know I don't nurse 20 oz everyday, but some days more and some days less, so the -200 is what is in MFP and it is what I use. I figure at the end of the week, it evens out.

My son is almost 2, he eats 3 meals and 2-3 snacks a day and also drinks cows milk.. I do not mind if I lose my supply.. but I have gone away and not pumped or nursed for 2 days and kept it.. so apparently, I have bionic boobs. I dunno.

He nurses anywhere from 1-6x a day. Sometimes for 5 minutes, sometimes for an hour. It's very inconsistent at his age.

Sounds good!

And LOL at the bionic boobs! :)
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I used to eat breakfast religiously, and most of the time it made me "ravenously" hungry by mid-morning. Part of the problem was probably that my breakfast didn't have a lot of substance to it - mostly cereal and toast that I would seem to burn right through. More protein can go a long way for making you feel satisfied longer.

These days I wait until midday to eat, so that lunch technically turns into breakfast. There might be one or two small hunger pangs before that, but they are usually easy to deal with. The only thing I am consuming during that time is black coffee and water. The caffeine is a bit of an appetite suppressor as well. By the time I eat I am good and hungry, not in a bad or impulsive way, but in a way that makes me feel like I gave my body a chance to actually be hungry. That might sound weird, I know.
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I used to eat breakfast religiously, and most of the time it made me "ravenously" hungry by mid-morning. Part of the problem was probably that my breakfast didn't have a lot of substance to it - mostly cereal and toast that I would seem to burn right through. More protein can go a long way for making you feel satisfied longer.

These days I wait until midday to eat, so that lunch technically turns into breakfast. There might be one or two small hunger pangs before that, but they are usually easy to deal with. The only thing I am consuming during that time is black coffee and water. The caffeine is a bit of an appetite suppressor as well. By the time I eat I am good and hungry, not in a bad or impulsive way, but in a way that makes me feel like I gave my body a chance to actually be hungry. That might sound weird, I know.
    I have days like that!