I want to do stronglifts 5x5, however......

Options
2»

Replies

• bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Looks like you've received a lot of advice already, but here's my take on it. In order to do either squats or deadlifts, you need to have a good awareness of your lower back and a lot of strength there. If you don't know whether you are rounding your lower back, you're in trouble.

Yoga helped me figure out how my lower back works (and I've struggled with severe lower back pain since I was a teenager). It's not the be-all and end-all, and it might not be appropriate for someone with your type of injury, at least not without modification. But, after more than a decade of yoga, I definitely know what my lower back is doing.

Something you could try as a preparation for squats and deadlifts is back extensions on a Roman bench. Possibly with weight added as you get stronger (you just hold a plate or a dumbbell in your arms as you do the extensions).
  • 0OneTwo3
    0OneTwo3 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 is an interesting Choice for someone recovering from a lower back injury. Most people in your situation seem to switch to Machines where they have there back supported at all times. This will let the stabilizing Musculature of the back go weak though. So i do think you're on the right track.

5x5 or 3x8 Makes no difference in terms of safety. You will have to stay away from Max-Effort. So do 5x5 with weights you could do 6 reps with since grinding out the last rep and risking a break in form puts pressure on the spine with almost all compound lifts.

Finally i would suggest replacing Situps with an Exercise that targets the core as a whole. Something where you don't need to round your back like ab rollouts. this will train the smaller muscles in you lower back to make sure it is ready to stabilize your spine once you start doing things like deadlifts again.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 is an interesting Choice for someone recovering from a lower back injury. Most people in your situation seem to switch to Machines where they have there back supported at all times. This will let the stabilizing Musculature of the back go weak though. So i do think you're on the right track.

5x5 or 3x8 Makes no difference in terms of safety. You will have to stay away from Max-Effort. So do 5x5 with weights you could do 6 reps with since grinding out the last rep and risking a break in form puts pressure on the spine with almost all compound lifts.

Finally i would suggest replacing Situps with an Exercise that targets the core as a whole. Something where you don't need to round your back like ab rollouts. this will train the smaller muscles in you lower back make sure it is ready to stabilize your spine onece you start doing things like deadlifts again.

I agree, situps suck if you have back problems. Crunches aren't that good an idea, either. There are ways to strengthen the core that do not require rounding the back; look for those.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options

Finally i would suggest replacing Situps with an Exercise that targets the core as a whole. Something where you don't need to round your back like ab rollouts. this will train the smaller muscles in you lower back make sure it is ready to stabilize your spine onece you start doing things like deadlifts again.

I agree, situps suck if you have back problems. Crunches aren't that good an idea, either. There are ways to strengthen the core that do not require rounding the back; look for those.

This is good advice. I could pick an ab wheel up at walmart for like $10 or something. I'm also considering modifying with planks and side planks. I think I will do this...will also engage the stabilizers in the lower back as I roll out. Thanks for this.