House Cleaning count as Exercise?

Options

Replies

• MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I log it if I am doing a lot of heavy-duty cleaning like sweeping/mopping/vacuuming all floors in the house, or cleaning all 3 bathrooms thoroughly. When I log it, I only log 1/4 to 1/2 of the time I spent, because MFP grossly exaggerates all exercise calories.

I do not log quick, easy day-to-day cleaning, nor do I log cooking.

I have a few friends who log cooking and even driving. (!?!)
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I don't log it. I use to do it before I started losing weight....
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    When I go to clean, I don't just wave a feather duster over stuff...I'm a scrubbing freak, so yeah, I count it.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    i love how this is posted about everyday

i love saying "NOPE!"
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I think it mainly depends on how you have your settings.

If you have your MFP set up with a "sedentary lifestyle", you may be OK logging cleaning as a workout.

If you have it set up as...(crap, I forgot how they exactly have it worded for the next option up), "Light Activity", and that's based on the fact that you work a desk job and do chores at home...then no, in that case, I would not log it because it's already included in your calories.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I'm set at sedentary, I log the house cleaning - I'm packing to move so there is much scrubbing, hoisting, lugging and down right elbow grease. I earn those 90 calories for 1/2 hour. Especially when I work at it for 2 hours straight. JMO
  • SunshineCharm
    Options
    It's all about keeping your heart rate elevated.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    just because your not working to the level of that Insanity workout doesn't mean that it is not excercise. That being said, I don't think that standing at the sink washing dishes counts, but I do count putting laundry away. Let me explain, I put one thing on a hanger and walk from the laundry room all the way to my bedroom closet and then back. I do each garment separately. I consistantly stay in motion. I also count vacuuming, gardening, and occasional cooking experiences. Anything that gets you up and moving should count, IMO. But, I do sit at a desk for 9 hrs and a car for 1 hour on weekdays so I am very sedentary.

This is the worst example ever. By this reasoning, I should count waking up and getting out of bed in the morning because it "gets me up and moving" You are moving your hands in a circular motion and that expends calories because you are, well moving...

The force is to strong in this one...I must reply ^^^^^ this, Breathing burns calories do you count it? I think there at two types of people on MFP, those who workout hard and are proud of their efforts and those who will claim any movement as a calorie burn. If you didn't lose weight doing those things before MFP why in the world would you think it is going to help you now?

my new exercise program is going to be - clean your way and wash dishes to fat loss in 60 days or your money back ...
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    This question come up over and over. Everyone is different so there is no "right" answer for anyone.

I have a cleaning lady (thank God) and if I do what SHE does, I count it. Otherwise, I don't count the regular upkeep. This works for ME but it may not work for another person.
  • meagank28
    meagank28 Posts: 52
    Options
    When my weight gain happened, I was sick and couldn't get up to clean. Now that I am doing some better, I joined MFP, and I log my cleaning. I use a HRM and when I clean I dance and move quickly. I don't just pick things up and run a rag over my counters. :) I like to scrub my house. I vacuum every carpeted room twice(dog hair) and I sweep/scrub/mop my tile. My two bathrooms get scrubbed also.
    Since I do work up a sweat and get my heart rate up I count it. It depends what you call 'cleaning' .
  • meagank28
    meagank28 Posts: 52
    Options
    Forgot to mention I am a house wife, and can't stand dirt!
  • AmberLee2012
    AmberLee2012 Posts: 540
    Options
    I normally don't count it. If I'm scrubbing walls or floors and working up a sweat, I might.
  • girlfromOklahoma
    girlfromOklahoma Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    No. I consider exercise to be exercise.

If you work up a big sweat doing some major house cleaning, just consider it a bonus.

ITA! If you do burn some extra calories cleaning, just consider it a bonus... but don't log it.
  • tootchute
    tootchute Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    You could always strap a heart monitor / calorie counter on while you're clean and see.
  • Alison12121
    Alison12121 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I don't normally count it. I would only count it if I was cleaning to move out of an apartment.
  • bongochick45
    bongochick45 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I log it if I'm doing a big day of cleaning. If I sweat, bend and lift that's exercise. Am I counting washing dishes, or sweeping up the floor? No. But my spring cleaning, or when I turn my soil and plant my veggies, or paint the house. Hell yea! But once again those are special occassions not every day things.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I log it if I'm doing a big day of cleaning. If I sweat, bend and lift that's exercise. Am I counting washing dishes, or sweeping up the floor? No. But my spring cleaning, or when I turn my soil and plant my veggies, or paint the house. Hell yea! But once again those are special occassions not every day things.

so if you walk outside in the summer and sweat do you log that?
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I count it if it is outside my normal activity level. Doing dishes or the laundry: no. Picking up the house, going up and down stairs, deep cleaning: yes. I also tend to put some extra physical effort into it if I am going to count it as exercise.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    so if you walk outside in the summer and sweat do you log that?

I powerwalk outside in the summer. i sweat. I log it. Are you saying that I shouldn't log 600 calories worked off?