House Cleaning count as Exercise?

Options

Replies

• RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I don't count it because I was still doing it while I was stuffing my face and getting chubby.
    So, people (like me) who walked two or more hours a day and ate at a surplus to get heavier shouldn't log the walking they do once they start eating at a deficit?
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I break a sweat cleaning half the time, so I think you could consider it exercise, but I wouldn't track it on here or replace my work out with it. That would be like saying the walk from your car into your building at work is exercise. It's not. It's just something you do.
  • nrod1988
    nrod1988 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    i agree. I only use it when im doing deep cleaning
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

my new exercise program is going to be - clean your way and wash dishes to fat loss in 60 days or your money back ...
    [/quote]

Would you like to hold classes at my house?
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    so if you walk outside in the summer and sweat do you log that?

I powerwalk outside in the summer. i sweat. I log it. Are you saying that I shouldn't log 600 calories worked off?

how many hours straight are you walking to burn those 600 cals!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

my new exercise program is going to be - clean your way and wash dishes to fat loss in 60 days or your money back ...
    [/quote]

Would you like to hold classes at my house?
    [/quote]

sure, I do it in the nude, but that costs extra...
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options

I powerwalk outside in the summer. i sweat. I log it. Are you saying that I shouldn't log 600 calories worked off?

Five miles every day. (Currently side lined with an injury for a few more days :( ) Takes me an average of about an hour. I walk faster than some of the joggers in my neighborhood. :bigsmile:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

well my comment was not directed at you :) It was a wise as* reply to someone who said "anything that I do that breaks a sweat I log" so I was saying if you just step outside and start to sweat do you log that?

I would count power walking as exercise so go ahead and log it...
  • Momma2PrinceNPrincess
    Options
    Hell yea I log it! But it's only on the days I actually spend 20 min or more on heavier cleaning...vacuuming my entire house, mopping the floors, scrubbing the kitchen, every bathroom, etc. Picking up toys, putting way laundry, doing dishes....no, those activities I don't log.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    If its part of what you do every day - don't count it.

If its out of the ordinary, count it. A friend of mine is over 400 and picking up the toys is HARD for her. If it makes her feel more productive, I am all for counting.

I count mine only if I'm doing the whole house top to bottom. I counted cleaning out the garage as housework, too.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options

Five miles every day. (Currently side lined with an injury for a few more days :( ) Takes me an average of about an hour. I walk faster than some of the joggers in my neighborhood. :bigsmile:
    you are not burning 600 calories in an hour of walking
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

That's a little presumtious!! Do you know the posters weight, age, size fitness lever and lever of exercion to make such a comment.... It is quite possible to burn 600 cals an hour speedwalking.....
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    What is this deep cleaning everyone does? I cleaned out my dad's crawl space last night. Is that deep cleaning since it was under the basement?

I love the endless search for more to eat and the sweat equals calories burned theory.
  • movu101779
    movu101779 Posts: 27
    Options
    I only count it on the day I do deep cleaning for HOURS. Usually 4 - 5 hours. 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, livingroom, dining room and kitchen.. So yes I count it. However, I still do my normaly daily workout. Get your heart rate up for a long period of time is the way to go..
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options

Wrong. Like I said, it's power walking. I walk faster than some joggers. It's highly cardio intensive and involves legs, arms, and core, It's not a stroll around the block. The numbers jive with both Map My walk and MFP.
  • italian_bella_xo
    Options
    You are moving around and not being a couch potato! Anything you do moving is considered exercise in my opinon. I learned the other day that you burn calories when you click a mouse! haha crazy.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You are moving around and not being a couch potato! Anything you do moving is considered exercise in my opinon. I learned the other day that you burn calories when you click a mouse! haha crazy.

You burn calories sleeping and breathing and just existing, doesn't make it exercise.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness.

These threads always become a snarkfest.

That being said...if you're logging it, eating those cals back and it works? Good for you. If it doesn't? Re-evaluate. What one person considers exercise another may not. That's the lovely thing about being different people taking this journey. :flowerforyou:
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options

Wrong. Like I said, it's power walking. I walk faster than some joggers. It's highly cardio intensive and involves legs, arms, and core, It's not a stroll around the block. The numbers jive with both Map My walk and MFP.

I don't power walk. At age 46 however I can tell you that at my present weight of 164 lbs I burn ~100 calories per mile walked (Body Media Fit Link stats). 600 cals for 5 miles power walking passes the smell test.