Replies

• goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    cereal one of the worst culprits!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    Not eating breakfast is counter-productive to losing weight (if that's what you're trying to do).
    Actually untrue. Over consumption or maintenance of calories is counter productive to losing weight or body fat. If the body is in a calorie deficit, then timing of meals is irrelevant. Personally myself (and for many it's personal) I don't eat breakfast, and first meal is after 12pm. I do get in my calories all the way up to 11pm.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • goodtimezzzz
    Options
    Not eating breakfast is counter-productive to losing weight (if that's what you're trying to do).
    Actually untrue. Over consumption or maintenance of calories is counter productive to losing weight or body fat. If the body is in a calorie deficit, then timing of meals is irrelevant. Personally myself (and for many it's personal) I don't eat breakfast, and first meal is after 12pm. I do get in my calories all the way up to 11pm.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • goodtimezzzz
    Options
    precisely
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    On Sunday evening I fix an egg cassarole and cut it into 4/6 servings (depending on the size of the cassarole) and then eat that every morning. I have found that keeps me really full for a long period of time.

The one this week was simple fun, and VERY filling. 2 cups shredded potatoes, 6 eggs, 6 sausage links, 1/2 cup fresh baby spinach chopped (you can use any veggies you want, I am not an onion and pepper person but I have lots of friends that add those as well), and 1/2 cup shredded 2% milk cheese. It was 370 calories per serving and held me until 12/12:30 (I eat breakfast around 7am).
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    My personal experience is that I would rather skip breakfast than eat cereal. If I skip breakfast, I don't get hungry, at all. If I have cereal, I've got the shakes and am ravenous by 11:00. It just seems to happen with cereal, no other breakfast has that effect on me.

ETA: And the shakes come at 10:00 if I eat a sugary kids' cereal. Somethign something something Glycemic Index. Something something something Insulin.
  • wcso911mn
    wcso911mn Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Is porridge just another word for oatmeal? Or are they 2 different things? I've only heard of porridge in children's nursery rhymes.
  • RiannonC
    RiannonC Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If you really prefer to have cereal, there are only a few kinds I have found that keep me feeling full. They are the ones with not only high fiber and low sugar, but also with high protein. Kashi GoLean and Crunchy Flax have been the only ones I can really eat without feeling hungry an hour or two later as you said. Adding fruit on top of the cereal also helps.

If you are not set on the cereal, I recommend oatmeal, as many here have said, or oat bran, or I also have this recipe for a flaxseed muffin you can cook in 1 minute in the microwave (it sounds terrible, but it really tastes pretty good) http://www.food.com/recipe/one-minute-flax-muffin-low-carb-295649. I also have protein pancakes I make with 2 eggs, 1/2 C cottage cheese, and 1/2 cup oats. Puree in the blender and cook like regular pancakes.

These are the things I have found so far that keep me filled up in the morning. I can't really do savory foods for breakfast, it just feels strange to me. Shakes don't do it for me either. Hopefully this is helpful to you :)
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I have to have protein for breakfast. If you're used to breakfast burritos, you could either make your own, healthier version at home with egg whites, turkey sausage, a small amount of cheese and maybe add some spinach or bell peppers. Or you could eat a healthy egg /English muffin sandwich - English muffin, one egg, 2 oz ham and a slice of cheese. Add a piece of fruit or some yogurt and you're good to go.
  • stephie10
    stephie10 Posts: 24
    Options
    Cereal doesn't work for me, either. I have to have protein at breakfast or I don't make it through. I drink a protein shake or eat a couple hard boiled eggs with toast.
  • rkramer924
    rkramer924 Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm also learning the best route to take for breakfast. I find that cereal never keeps me full. Drink a large glass of water with breakfast. Try eggs and a lean meat or greek yogurt and fresh fruit. It's so important to eat a hearty, filling breakfast. It will help to prevent reaching for those unhealthy snacks throughout the workday!
  • rkramer924
    rkramer924 Posts: 3
    Options
    Excellent advice!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Is porridge just another word for oatmeal? Or are they 2 different things? I've only heard of porridge in children's nursery rhymes.

I think porridge is a little more generic of a term. Any grain prepared like oatmeal could be porridge. Oatmeal, cream of wheat, grits .. I think they're all technically porridge.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Cereal wouldn't fill me up in the morning. My breakfasts are protein heavy. Eggs and ham or low fat cottage cheese and a full fat greek yoghurt. I'm good until lunch.
  • spiffybarbarella1
    Options
    Cereal is probably one of the worst things you can put into your body in the morning, especially sugary kinds. You might be mildly insulin resistant after all those years of binging on soda and pizza: and your sudden drop in blood sugar and subsequent hunger is a good indication of this!!!

You are better off having a breakfast that is protein based such as scrambled eggs or fish. Cutting down on processed carbs is a really good way to rebalance your blood sugar.
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I like to make up a batch of hard boiled eggs once a week and keep them in the fridge for a quick breakfast. If I'm not working out first thing, carbs for breakfast make me ravenously hungry for the rest of the day.
  • njwritergirl
    njwritergirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I must agree with those suggesting eggs in the morning!! You can either hard boil them or make them in the morning. I'll add a slice of cheese and fresh spinach or kale to it and maybe a few almonds. I've discovered that my weight never came off until I quit eating all forms of bread! Bread/cereal makes you crave more of it. (I've read "Wheat Belly" and watch a ton of nutrition videos).

This will get me through most of the day without a single craving!

Best of luck!
  • clobern
    clobern Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Yup, protein is the way to go. Some eggs, maybe a nice healthy omelet. That is what I eat and I am good until my mid-morning snack.
  • PrettyUgly18
    PrettyUgly18 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Have a low cal yogurt for breakfast before work, and bring a snack to work to eat before lunch like an apple, or banana.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats. I make ours in a mini-crock pot with a timer.