"Bang for Your Calorie" snacks

Options
timberowl
timberowl Posts: 331 Member
I've been snacking on Goldfish at work lately because it's 200 calories for a relatively large amount, that can keep my hands and mouth busy for awhile..

I need more work snack ideas--non perishable and non refridgerated, preferably 300 cals or below (something to quell the mid-shift munchies for a couple hours until dinner time).

Replies

• timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    PS I hate pretzels
  • lisiloulah
    lisiloulah Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My local super market sells a 20g bag of mini breadsticks (85 cals) and I buy mini pots of Philadelphia low fat soft cheese to go with it (34 cals). I normally eat it with my lunch, but if I get peckish mid-morning it fills the gap nicely - and has the same advantage of keeping your hands busy!
  • FaerieCae
    FaerieCae Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    How are you with baking? I made oat, coconut, cranberry, walnut and choclate bars the other day. 161 cals, 10g sugar, 22g carbs. Sufar is mostly from honey tho. If you like I could send you the recipe.
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Mini breadsticks?
    Nuts?
  • eringrace10
    eringrace10 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Nuts any nuts, dried fruit but only small amounts (contains lots of sugar)
  • Jess830409
    Jess830409 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Low sodium sunflower seeds in the shell - love them. They take awhile to eat and 30g in the shell equal a little under 100 calories :)
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    How are you with baking? I made oat, coconut, cranberry, walnut and choclate bars the other day. 161 cals, 10g sugar, 22g carbs. Sufar is mostly from honey tho. If you like I could send you the recipe.

That sounds awesome. I'm definitely interested in that recipe!!! :)
  • FaerieCae
    FaerieCae Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    100g butter 1 cup flour
    1/2 cup sugar 3tbsps honey
    1 tsp baking powder 1/2tsp cinnamon
    1 cup oats 1/2 cup coconut
    1/3 cup craisins 1/3 cup choclate chunks
    1/3 cup chopped walnuts

Melt butter in a pan, add honey and sugar and beat til thick. In anotherbowl sift flour, bakingpowder and cinnamon together. Add dry mix to butter until well mixed. Add oats and coconut, mix well.throw it craisins, choc and walnuts (or whatever flavour you want your bar).

On clean dry bench, with a sheet of plastic wrap underneath, shape into a rectangular shaped log, wrap up and refrigerate for at least half hour. Slice 5mm thick slices, lay flat on baking paper and bake for about 10 mins at 180 degrees celsius or until golden.
    They will harden up when they cool down so dont worry too much if theyre a little soft in the middle. Makes approx 24.

Dont know what the us equivalent of the temp and measurement are, havent got time to look, maybe just google it.
  • boothekm
    boothekm Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Light butter popcorn
    Yogurt-covered raisins
    100 calorie packs (lots of varieties)
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I like ot munch on Turkey Pepperoni from time to time. It would take a mountain to get to 300 cal, and by that point you'd have eaten so much protein you'd be stuffed.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I like Sage Valley White Cheddar Puffs. They are in a bag like cheetos, but in my grocery they are in with the natural foods. I shop at shoprite and they go on sale regularly to $1.

this is what the bag looks like: http://www.amazon.com/Sage-Valley-White-Cheddar-4-Ounce/dp/B0048IKV4A

they aren't too filling but neither are goldfish.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I like Baked Cheetos, one serving is around 120 calories and about 30 pieces!

And they're the only "baked" chip I've found, that doesn't taste baked. I can't tell a difference from the regular ones (although I've never had them side-by-side).
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I eat an apple for a snack in the morning. Almonds are good. Cups of fat free pudding. One hundred calorie bags of popcorn are pretty big. A sandwich made with 100 calorie sandwich rounds and some sliced turkey is less than 200 calories. Mix some corn flakes in with the pudding cup!! Yum!! Raisins. Grapes.

Beef Jerky...a whole bag for 240 calories and keeps you busy chewing and high in protein which I have trouble getting.

Cheese and crackers.

There are A LOT of things you can eat for 300 calories!!!
  • mama2mila
    mama2mila Posts: 92
    Options
    air popped popcorn, snow peas, Cheerios, grapes, baby carrots, celery & peanut butter
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I love the emerald breakfast on the go nut and granola mix they are 180 calories a pack and come in different flavors
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I've been snacking on Goldfish at work lately because it's 200 calories for a relatively large amount, that can keep my hands and mouth busy for awhile..

I need more work snack ideas--non perishable and non refridgerated, preferably 300 cals or below (something to quell the mid-shift munchies for a couple hours until dinner time).

Chicken breast. That one does me for a long time.
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    What on earth is Goldfish? Please don't tell me it is a fish :-s
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Christie Nilla cookies. You can have 8 for 110 calories. Not too sweet but nice and crunchy.
  • nikkibrown_78
    Options
    I like fruit, carrots and hummus. i'm also a big fan of portion control. I eat things i like i just make sure its one serving. Traders Joe's has the best reduced fat cheese curls and you can eat 35 at 130 calories per serving.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    apples slices w/ peanut butter