Mother's Day, 133 pounds difference

Options
ShannonMpls
ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
I've been in maintenance mode for 9 months now and - I hate to admit it - some of the novelty wears off.

I don't get the "omg, you look great!" comments from friends who haven't seen me in awhile anymore, because, well, they've all seen me.

The bliss of being able to shop anywhere, of buying size small shirts, of never having to set foot near a plus-size section? That's worn off. I no longer buy clothes JUST BECAUSE THEY FIT, which I used to do all the time. It was just so astounding to me that a dress that looks that tiny will fit my body so obviously I had to have it, but no more - I buy things because I actually want them, not because of the size on the tag. Good for my wallet, though, and my overflowing closet :)

I don't get as excited about gains in the gym anymore. Yes, I can fun faster. Yes, I can keep up in any group class. Yes, I can do real pushups while the other ladies are on their knees. Yes, I can lift more. It's old hat, you see.

I've started a new job, and no one here knows who I was before (who I was? weird way of phrasing it...let's try "how I looked." I'm the same person). People just assume this is how I've always been, a lunchtime gym-goer who rarely goes out to eat.

I feel great and energetic. But...I feel that way every day now.

And this is the kind of complacency that I don't want. I need to be reminded of where I've been so I don't go back. That's why I am posting this. Thank you for humoring me :)

This was me in June of 2010, a few months after my son was born (that smile is real; it's perfectly possible to be fat and happy).
4920196632_102528e8f5.jpg

This was me last summer. This is the mom I want to be, the mom I am. Active and showing my son the world from within, not from the sidelines.
photo5-1.jpg

This is Mother's Day, 2010 vs 2012 (I started losing weight in June of 2011):
picstitch.jpg

And this was me with my boy on Sunday:
5dce0315-eec6-4da9-83bd-0a1db55ca6db_zpsb8ede48a.jpg

What's good about the novelty wearing off though? My son won't remember his mom as tired and obese. He'll remember me as the one who takes him on hikes, who happily wears a bathing suit to swim in Lake Harriet with him, who is always up for a challenge, who NEVER says no to having a photo taken with him (how sad that I don't have a Mother's Day pic from 2011...).

Though I kind of miss the "wow, you look amazing!" comments I'm so grateful my son will grow up in a home where healthy food and attitudes and summers of camping and kayaking and adventure are the norm, so he will hopefully carry that with him for his whole life and give this gift to his own children some day.

I'm down 133 pounds and, though it's trite, I've gained so much more. I'm not going back, that's for certain.

(if you'd like to read more about me and my weight loss, check out my blog: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ShannonMpls )

Replies

• NoleGirl0918
    NoleGirl0918 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Wow - i'm sure it took hard work to get there but you look GREAT! You know how you used to be, so enjoy knowing that you are healthier, even if your new co-workers don't remember you that way.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    You look absolutely great!
    You are an inspiration to everyone and a great role model for your son!
    Congratulations!
  • swedishwillow
    swedishwillow Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Looove looove this post! You look amazing, sound amazing and your goals for yourself and your son are amazing! Eventually I will get there, and with people such as yourself achieving so much I think I will, eventually!!!!
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Just remember your setting a great example for your children. You look great
  • ketchupqueen
    Options
    WONDERFUL!!
  • kaseymei
    kaseymei Posts: 164
    Options
    You look great! congratulations on being able to maintain. That's a huge accomplishment.
  • svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Wow amazing transformation! Did u eat clean? What kind of exercises?
  • mrsjay4life
    mrsjay4life Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Great job you look awesome
  • EpicPickle
    EpicPickle Posts: 35
    Options
    I love this. You look fantastic, and I really enjoyed your story. Best to you in the future.
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    you look AMAZING!!!!!
    WAY TO GO!!!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Wow, I can't get over the difference! You look amazing-you can tell you were happy in that first picture but the smile in the after pictures-they say even more. Amazing story and I'm so glad you're able to be the mom you want to be :bigsmile:
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Wow great job... an amazing story for sure.. Good for you for not forgetting where you have come from...!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    awesome awesome awesome :smile:
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Wow amazing transformation! Did u eat clean? What kind of exercises?

I guess I'm a clean eater? But I also eat a lot of crap too ;) My diary is fully open, so feel free to check it out. Lately I've not been logging weekends though and that's where things get messsssssssssssy ;)

Strength training 3 days a week, 45-60 minutes, heavy to mid-range lifting, free weights and barbells. I normally alternate weeks between 10-12 reps and 6-8. For cardio, usually two days a week, sometimes three if I'm training for a race. Group exercise classes or runs, I basically never use an elliptical or machine anymore. Lots of walks and hikes when it's nice outside which it FINALLY is in Minnesota. I take fitness pretty seriously now!
  • jonswife0206
    jonswife0206 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic ! Thank you for sharing your story, it's so inspirational.
  • CRichards22
    CRichards22 Posts: 120
    Options
    Ah!!! I'll humor you! You look abso-freakin- lutely INCREDIBLE!

This post will inspire so many, and so many will flood you with friend requests like me :wink: in hopes that there is some secret to how you went from picture 2011 to 2013. I know they won't find anything but a mama who has busted her rear end and gotten to where she set her mind to go!

So proud of you! I feel that way sometimes too...I'm not even to goal yet, but close. But I feel like the "wow, you've lost how much?" is pretty much over. I'm sad (kinda) but not really because I AM this person now. And whether I ever see 140? Who knows! But I know one thing! I'm never gonna see 269 on my scale again!!!

So, cheers to you! And don't ever forget how awesome you are and how far you come. No matter how strong or fast you get... always remember where you came from! Becuase THAT shows how amazing you are! *hugs!*
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    You look incredible! Even though your smile in the first picture is contagious, you look so much more happy in the latter pictures.
  • Corbinsmom
    Corbinsmom Posts: 117
    Options
    Absolutley inspirational. You look incredible. WOW
  • sreed016
    sreed016 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Your son is adorable and you look awesome! Way to go on being a fit mom. I have a teen daughter and my goal is to be a good example of eating clean staying active!
  • Elbee1
    Elbee1 Posts: 2,024 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic and I love your blog posts!
    Linda
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!