Really need advice on increasing calories.

Options
2»

Replies

• purple4sure05
    purple4sure05 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I've been a dancer/gymnast since I started walking, and it's pretty intense cardio combined with strength training because of the lifts we do, so I have a ton of muscle built up. In fact, I was pretty bulky before so the slight muscle loss was actually flattering.

Now I switch it up throughout the week. I run a few days, or I'll go indoor rock climbing, rollerblading, swimming, sometimes just a long walk, etc. I get bored if I put myself on a routine.

My body looks more fit than the average skinny person. I have visible abs and decently defined biceps/triceps still. And my legs have muscle definition. I'm not sure how else I'd describe that over text. Lol.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I've been a dancer/gymnast since I started walking, and it's pretty intense cardio combined with strength training because of the lifts we do, so I have a ton of muscle built up. In fact, I was pretty bulky before so the slight muscle loss was actually flattering.

Now I switch it up throughout the week. I run a few days, or I'll go indoor rock climbing, rollerblading, swimming, sometimes just a long walk, etc. I get bored if I put myself on a routine.

My body looks more fit than the average skinny person. I have visible abs and decently defined biceps/triceps still. And my legs have muscle definition. I'm not sure how else I'd describe that over text. Lol.

Since you have visible abs, that would probably put you around 16-18% body fat, that means, you have about 95 lbs of lean body mass and 20 lbs of fat. It's actually not as much as you think. But as long as you are happy that is what matter.
  • purple4sure05
    Options

Since you have visible abs, that would probably put you around 16-18% body fat, that means, you have about 95 lbs of lean body mass and 20 lbs of fat. It's actually not as much as you think. But as long as you are happy that is what matter.

Of course I'm no body builder! I wouldn't mind building more muscle but I was just pointing out that I think I'm healthy where I'm at. Thanks for your tips! I may start lifting here pretty soon. I know nothing about it so I'll have to get reading first!
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    If your metabolism is slow, it's because you lost some muscle mass. Nothing is wrong with your cells ability to create ATP for energy when burning fat or carbs. If you want to raise your metabolism, build more muscle and be more active. Basically eat more protein and lift some weights. That is your only option. The girl above who is eating 1750 calories to lose weight is literally spending 6 days a week in the gym. You need to think about your activity level and how many days you want to spend in the gym. The bottom line is, build muscle and be more active if you want to eat more as that is literally what the girl above you is doing.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Of course I'm no body builder! I wouldn't mind building more muscle but I was just pointing out that I think I'm healthy where I'm at. Thanks for your tips! I may start lifting here pretty soon. I know nothing about it so I'll have to get reading first!

Look at programs like strong lift 5x5 and nerd fitness has a good beginner program. Start with light weights until you get the form down and then lift heavy.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Do you have some future goals in mind for your physique? Your protein intake is very low. If you want to add some muscle you will need to increase that. Your nutrition plan should be aimed at working towards your goals. Don't freak out if your weight bumps up 4lbs or so once as you move into the maintenance diet. It will be fine. That is just a little water weight coming back. You seem to be paying attention and this question sounds like it is largely trepidation about transitioning to the maintenance plan.

One of my coaches was published in a magazine with her simple nutrition summary.
    JF_nut.jpg
  • purple4sure05
    Options
    Do you have some future goals in mind for your physique? Your protein intake is very low. If you want to add some muscle you will need to increase that. Your nutrition plan should be aimed at working towards your goals. Don't freak out if your weight bumps up 4lbs or so once as you move into the maintenance diet. It will be fine. That is just a little water weight coming back. You seem to be paying attention and this question sounds like it is largely trepidation about transitioning to the maintenance plan.

One of my coaches was published in a magazine with her simple nutrition summary.
    JF_nut.jpg

Yeah it's like 90% me being uncertain about the maintenance transition process. Don't wanna mess anything up! I've been spending the day planning ways to incorporate more protein into my meals. Thanks :) I don't really want any major changes in my physique, but lean muscle is always a good thing!