Ultimate Protein Pancakes... omg.

Options

Replies

• Mkmassey3
    Mkmassey3 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    This is so I can find it faster than going back to the original post. I am not trying to take any credit for this recipe, but it will not let me quote it from the original post. I also pinned it from Pinterest so I can find it there too.

Edited by LaurenAOK On May 16, 2013 1:33 pm
    Ladies and gentlemen, I’ve done it.
    I’ve created the ultimate protein pancake recipe.

Pancakes are great. Protein pancakes are even better. For about a year now I’ve been trying to find the perfect pancake recipe; one that’s healthy, packed with protein, and amazingly delicious. I came pretty close with the original greek yogurt pancakes recipe, but I wasn’t satisfied with the high carb content. All the other lower carb/higher protein recipes I found online just didn’t taste as good.

Finally, an idea struck me. I decided to combine the greek yogurt recipe with a protein powder recipe, by replacing some of the flour in the greek yogurt recipe with protein powder. The result is a pancake recipe that has less carbs, more protein, and tastes even better.I swear, these taste better than the pancakes my mom used to make. I would eat those by the dozen, and they were about 1238484720 times less healthy than this.

Okay, here we go.

Ultimate Protein Pancakes

You’ll need:

6oz plain greek yogurt
    1 large egg white
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup (about 2/3 scoop) vanilla whey protein powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    Anything else you’d like to add for flavor (I like adding in strawberries and vanilla extract)
    In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients (protein powder, flour, and baking soda), and mix with a fork until well combined. In another bowl, combine the wet ingredients (egg white and yogurt) and mix until well combined. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, stirring as you go. The batter should become thick. Add in any extras for flavor, and keep mixing until everything is totally combined.

Heat a skillet over medium heat and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Drop batter by the spoonful into the pan. Pancakes will expand as they cook, so don’t put them too close together. When little bubbles start to form all throughout the pancake, it’s time to flip it. Flip it a couple of times until it’s thoroughly cooked. Transfer pancakes to a plate, and top with whatever you’d like. They’re plenty flavorful on their own, but adding a couple tablespoons of syrup made them even better!

Makes 6 large pancakes. Nutritional information:

Calories: 314 | Carbs: 34g | Fat: 1g | Protein: 43g (!!!)
    Edited by LaurenAOK On May 16, 2013 1:33 pm
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I have to add - Fage is vastly superior to Chobani for this. It makes it taste more like a pancake than a cheesecake.
  • Heliconia
    Heliconia Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Mkmassey3
    Options
    Not sure what I am doing wrong, but I could not get them to cook all the way through in the middle. I had it over the heat forever, they started out big and puffy and then completely deflated to a crepe. I just did not care for the texture of the innards . What a bummer!! My mouth was watering for these!!!! :sad:
  • Francl27
    Options
    Not sure what I am doing wrong, but I could not get them to cook all the way through in the middle. I had it over the heat forever, they started out big and puffy and then completely deflated to a crepe. I just did not care for the texture of the innards . What a bummer!! My mouth was watering for these!!!! :sad:

They are definitely more like a thicker crepe than a pancake. And using fage made a difference for me for the inside too... it seemed to cook better.
  • Mkmassey3
    Options
    They are definitely more like a thicker crepe than a pancake. And using fage made a difference for me for the inside too... it seemed to cook better.
    [/quote]

I only had Oikos left, I will have to give it another try with the Fage. Thanks for the tip. I made the first batch this morning with egg beaters, coconut flour and baking powder....total bust!!!! Trashed it as it turned into scrambled eggs :noway: (not kidding). So I followed the instructions completely on batch #2 and....slimy middle. :sick: Fage 0% it is! Thanks again!! :flowerforyou:
  • Francl27
    Options

I only had Oikos left, I will have to give it another try with the Fage. Thanks for the tip. I made the first batch this morning with egg beaters, coconut flour and baking powder....total bust!!!! Trashed it as it turned into scrambled eggs :noway: (not kidding). So I followed the instructions completely on batch #2 and....slimy middle. :sick: Fage 0% it is! Thanks again!! :flowerforyou:
    [/quote]

Yeah you're changing a lot of things.

I did it with chobani and baking powder this morning and it was good but more yogurty. With baking soda and fage it's much better. I've never tried with egg beaters or coconut flour though so I can't help you there.
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    bumping!!
  • Fuchmylife
    Fuchmylife Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Just curious, it sounds delish as is but Im not good in the kitchen department. To lower the carbs, would one try psyllium husk? gluten flour? Im just not sure...thanks!
  • Rachelc1992
    Rachelc1992 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Will have to try these :)!!
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    bump
  • omatga
    omatga Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a perfect thing to try for Sunday breakfast tomorrow! Thanks for sharing :)
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • billyswife0516
    Options
    Bump. These look great!
  • allyjon964
    allyjon964 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Is the nutrition facts based on one pancake? I cannot wait to try them-- disregard I got my answer
  • JackieAC1951
    JackieAC1951 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Just tried this recipe; all I can say is....yum, yum, yum! I included cut-up strawberries in the recipe. Very good! Even the DH, who is not a pancake eater, said they were very good. Of course, I included pre-cooked bacon on the side. This recipe is definitely a keeper!
  • goredguar
    goredguar Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I tried these and they didn't seem to taste very nice, or cook on the inside....

I suspect it's because I was using non-strained greek yoghurt and a supposedly "chocolate" (but pretty foul tasting) protein powder.

...will have to try again next time I feel like pancakes XD
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Was looking for a high protein recipe for the fresh blueberries I have. Can't wait to make these in the morning!
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Seriously, they were awesome! Made mine with a whole egg for added nutrients, only 1/2 tsp baking soda to keep sodium down, Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Natural Vanilla, 1 packet of sucralose because that protein is very unsweet, 72.5g (1/2 cup) fresh blueberries, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and I used 10g salted butter to coat the pan. They were so delicious that I didn't use any of the syrup I had planned to, and I am very pleasantly full. Will definitely make again! Can't wait to try with other fruits like banana and strawberry.

Nutritional values for my recipe without the butter:
    384 Calories, 6g Fat, 50g Carbs, 36g Protein, 19g Sugar, 864g Sodium
  • motoman305
    Options
    My first attempt... Burnt em. ..lol. But they still showed promise.