Cicada - Shrimp of the Land

124»

Replies

• MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    In for...

...wait, what? Cicadas? Eating them?!? Are you out of your flippin' mind?

It's bad enough i hear them singing all day, every day, 365(tinnitus). I'm not eating them.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    In for...

It's bad enough i hear them singing all day, every day, 365(tinnitus). I'm not eating them.

It wouldn't work for you, but in general, I think eating them helps reduce the noise level. Plus the others might see the consequence of singing so loud, and pipe down a little.
  • ihad
    I just grab a branch one is on and eat the whole thing. Mmm. Salad.

You clean eaters! :happy:
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Cicada-Rhubarb Pie

Ingredients:
    4 cups chopped rhubarb
    1 cup fresh cicadas, washed and any hard parts removed 1 1/3 cups white sugar
    6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie

Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
    2. Combine sugar and flour. Sprinkle 1/4 of it over pastry in pie plate.
    Heap rhubarb over this mixture. Sprinkle cicadas in amongst the rhubarb. Sprinkle with remaining sugar and flour. Dot with small pieces of butter. Cover with top crust.
    3. Place pie on lowest rack in oven. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and continue baking for 40 to 45 minutes.

Yield:
    Makes 1 pie (8 servings).

Cut the rhubarb into 1/2 inch pieces. If you're GF might I suggest a mix of sweet sorghum flour and sweet white rice flour instead of APF, ohhh or maybe some coconut flour. I also have a great GF pie crust recipe if anyone is interested!
  • melmonroe
    melmonroe Posts: 111
    I'm all for the grubs but the adults??? :noway: Something about choking on a wing or exo-skeleton too much for me.:huh:

Nice video with recipes.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqt7vXBQuCQ
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    In for...

It wouldn't work for you, but in general, I think eating them helps reduce the noise level. Plus the others might see the consequence of singing so loud, and pipe down a little.

Singing ain't all they are doing. Moaning and screaming "Oh my god, harder, harder" is more like it:

http://www.radiolab.org/blogs/radiolab-blog/2013/may/14/septendecennial-sing-along/
  • MarthaAnn8186
    MarthaAnn8186 Posts: 84 Member
    My favorite cicada recipe involves me running away from them, screaming and flailing my arms.

No calories consumed, calories burned by running away like a freak.

'Nuff said.

LoL, Me to!
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Why stop at the cicada's? Do you also eat the spiders, cockroaches and other bugs you find? No thanks.
  • circles2
    circles2 Posts: 11 Member
    OMG---I'm cringing! I am shocked at the number of serious (?) positive responses and recipes. I now am itching and have both feet lifted off the floor.
    I don't thnk we have them in L.A......i'm hoping
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Pzk6W5H_zpsd5051b25.gif
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    There is no way in hell I would ever eat anything with an exoskeleton.... unless there was nothing else, even then, debatable.

You and me definitely can't go out for crab legs, lobster, shrimp and crawfish.
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    We have a million of those bad boys here in Florida. I'd eat them if they were prepared right. Nothing can taste as bad as sea urchin. That....was tough to get down. I've had chocolate covered ants and crickets, and I've always wanted to try stir fried meal worms. That green jello pic looks pretty cool too.So....who's cookin tonight?
  • ihad
    We have a million of those bad boys here in Florida. I'd eat them if they were prepared right. Nothing can taste as bad as sea urchin. That....was tough to get down. I've had chocolate covered ants and crickets, and I've always wanted to try stir fried meal worms. That green jello pic looks pretty cool too.So....who's cookin tonight?

I agree on the sea urchin. I've tried it sushi style a number of times. Can't get a taste for it.
  • ihad
    Why stop at the cicada's? Do you also eat the spiders, cockroaches and other bugs you find? No thanks.

Do they also have a delicate, nutty flavor?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,301 Member

Consequences. Yup.

cat-vs-dog-gif.gif
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    If I didn't know what they were when you offered them to me, I *might* try one. "poor little bugs, tho'" *snicker, chortle, giggle, snort*
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    you guys are *kitten*. now am all itchy before bed. :sad: :sad: :sad: :angry:
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,644 Member
    I still have some frozen, but how did the rest of you guys do with yours?
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    I was reasonably hungry until I mosied in here and saw all of the pics. :sick:
  • Patzycakes
    Patzycakes Posts: 175 Member
    I would imagine cajun seasoning ... crunchy and spicy