Divorce

Options
Capt_Inzane
Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
Not really sure how to say/ask this so basically just gonna lay it out there.

When I was younger I didn't date much and on my 4 or 5th girlfriend depending on how you count them I met my wife. We were together for 8 years so 20-28 and then we got divorced.

Took me awhile to get over it and now I'm done but I feel like my life is still controlled by the divorce (not her just the fact I am). I feel like I have to explain to everyone I'm divorced and have a son (who kicks *kitten*) but I hate this compulsion to go into it.

I realize that when meeting new people it shouldn't be this defining thing about me but I don't know how else to explain myself or my life without bringing it up.

Also just curious would you ever date someone that was divorced? In a society where it seems to becoming the norm I'm curious. My ex-wife was married before we got together and it took me 6 years to propose to her. I felt like we were too young and all that stuff. Now I realize I was hesitant for other reasons but that's for another thread.

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Took me awhile to get over it and now I'm done but I feel like my life is still controlled by the divorce (not her just the fact I am). I feel like I have to explain to everyone I'm divorced and have a son (who kicks *kitten*) but I hate this compulsion to go into it.

I've had this talk with many of my friends. I often remind them that a divorce DOES NOT define them in any way. I catch them writing on their Faccebook profiles or other online status they are divorced. I tell them, you are actually single! If they mention they are divorced in some kind of negative way I remind them they are divorced for a reason, good or bad, and that is the past.

In talking with others, you can always say I was married before and things didn't work out for XXX reasson. But that is your choice.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I'm divorced. I say so. I have an ex wife I have to deal with almost daily due to having 3 kids with her. But I only really bring it up if it's relevant. It's not a definition, it's simply a fact.

And yes I would date a divorced person. My gf is divorced. Most of the women my age who are dating are divorced!
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    isn't everyone divorced these days? i don't even bat an eyelash.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are still having a hard time with the fact that the divorce happened. It is a very hard thing to get through to know that the life you planned and hoped for just didn't work out. I think the statistics say now that over half of marriages will end in divorce, so, though it's not really comforting, you are in the majority. You don't have to go into great detail when you meet someone and really it's up to you if you want to say you are divorced, which is true, or if you want to say you are single, which is also true. There are tons of women out there who would date a divorced man. There are tons of women who can accept the fact that you had a life prior to meeting them, that you have a son, and that is all part of your story. Hopefully you will be able to come to better terms with the circumstances and you will start enjoying your new life and really living it.
  • Sactown900
    Sactown900 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    There is ALWAYS baggage, but that can be overlooked if both parties want it to work. After 35 years together (my 2nd marriage -her first) it is a constant effort to put each other's needs above our own.

Now on our 32nd year of marriage, two great (grown & out) kids and a 17 month old granddaughter, we are having more fun than ever (volunteering, travel, gym, charity 5K jogs, cycling, etc).

I wish also she grew up riding horses, but at least I got to buy a motorcycle. ;-p
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I have dated both divorced guys and guys who have never been married. I prefer to date divorced guys as I am divorced with kids myself.

Whatever the label, divorced or single, the more important issue is that you have a son and you should never feel bad about having to explain that. There are many women out there who will think that's a great thing. If they don't, then the relationship can never work and you shouldn't waste your time on it anyway. I don't mean that to bash anyone - if someone isn't into kids, there's just no possible way things can work; it's just a fact.
  • Ladyinwaiting4
    Ladyinwaiting4 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I am also divorced since 2003. I have the same problem you do as well. I totally relate to you.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    If you had told me I would have married a man who had been divorced twice, I would have laughed. But, what I realize now is the relationships/experiences he's had have made him who is today. Everyone has baggage. It's how you carry that baggage that defines who you are.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    My divorce did not redefine who I was and who I have become, it's a chapter of my personal story that as much as I personally feel sad that I had to go though it, I am a more wise person about marriage for it. I know better how not to rush into it and what it really means to be married to try and make it work.

This is something you should think about, it's not defining you, it was a learning experience so you can be more successful in each long term commital relationship or in any future marriage. So never feel bad, ashamed and never feel like it's something that defines you.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    i have a feeling this might be a bigger thing for you because you are so young. focus on the reasons why the divorce was for the best and hopefully you work through who you are now, where you are now, and all that jazz.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Get over it....seriously.

I am divorced my 1st wife, lost my last bride, and am engaged to a wonderful woman. Together we will have 4 kids...My late bride's daughter (whom I adopted before her mother past), my son (who is 10 years my daughter's junior), and my bride-to-be's kids that have different fathers.

Just because you have a child doesn't mean you can't date or be happy in life. Your son doesnt define you, he enhances you.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    How young was your wife when she got married if she was married before y'all got together and y'all were together from 20 years old onward?

Also, I'm dating a guy who has been divorced.... TWICE. So I have no room to talk about that type of thing. I don't think you should judge someone based on divorce. I know people automatically want to ask, "oh you've been divorced? so what's wrong with you?" But could it just be that you and that person weren't compatible? Not that one of you is a terrible person? That's my opinion even if it is a bit wordy...
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you are open to a new relationship, and ready to move forward that you dont have much to worry about. That next woman in your life is going to want to know that she's special to you.
  • thisdarkpassenger
    thisdarkpassenger Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Being divorced is better than being married, IMO.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    What you've done does not define you. Introduce yourself by your name and nothing else. "Hi, my name is ________," I'm very pleased to meet you." It requires no history, no baggage, no definition of who you are. If the converstaion continues, the question may come up by by that time at least the other person knows a little of who you really are and "divorced" won't be the first thing you're labeled with. You wouldn't introduce yourself by telling someone you're constipated, right? Same thing - it's none of their business unless the conversation develops into a more personal one.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I always feel the need to explain that I am a single mom because I am divorced and don't live near their dad. I haven't dated much, but the few who had a problem with my divorce aren't the one for me. I learned a lot through being married and I look for guys who have been married before.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    After getting divorced myself, I met and dated a man twice divorced. We celebrated our 11th wedding anniversary yesterday.

The neat thing about divorce is that you get to learn what you can and can't accept in a relationship/marriage. Take that knowledge and run with it!
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    First, I just say I'm single, and I end the conversation. I'm not very open usually, so it's easy for me to just not say things.

I"M NOT DIVORECED. I'M SINGLE. It's lame to walk around with a label on you like that.

The social stigma you attach to divorce is only yours. Hardly anyone I know thinks twice about it. I know people that are divorced, and other saying, "Oh, that's too bad, I'm sorry". that's about all I think of it.

That's how I see it as well. My last/current partner is divorced and I don't have a problem with it. He only mentioned the divorced part after we saw each other for a month and even then he explained why. :) And I still love him!