Running alone in the dark

Options
So I want to start running in the mornings because of the cooler temperatures vs after work but I'm having a bit of anxiety about it. It'll be around 4:00 am in the pitch black, no street lights and a pretty much deserted roadway. Other than a reflective vest and not having my music up as loud as I'd like is there any other suggestions as to ease my mind for doing this w/o thinking that someone or some animal is going to jump out at me along the entire way?

Replies

• Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Bumping this back to the top
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You just have to look at your local crime stats and judge how safe your area is. I see a few women out at dawn on my local running trail and nothing has ever happened to them, but I live in a fairly crime free area.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    When I switch to morning runs for the summer, I let my husband know how long I'll be gone, run with only one headphone in, and carry a weapon. Pepper spray is probably the easiest option, since it's light and small. Although if you're worried about animals, do some research. I don't know how effective it would be on, say, a bear. I carry a small pistol, but I'm trained and prepared to use it, if necessary. That's not comfortable for most people, I suspect.

I also switch to a route in town instead of my usual trail route. I figure it's more populated, so more chance of someone hearing me scream if something happened.

Your best protection would be to not run alone. If you have the option of finding a jogging buddy, do that. But at least have a check-in buddy. Someone that knows where you've gone and when to expect you back.

Be aware and take precautions, but don't live in fear. Have fun!
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    That is a tough one. I set out one morning to do a long run around a very popular running lake in my area, with virtually no crime. It was dark...I couldn't bring myself to get out of the car until I saw two other women running, i got out and "followed them" until it got a little lighter out. But there also weren't very many street lights, as it was a park. I do have a dog that runs with me sometimes, I guess I would take him if it were dark. But I'm guessing you don't or you probably would already do that :tongue:
    I know some people in my area do trail runs when it is darker, and they where headlamps. But as for crime..maybe carry mace if you are concerned?
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    So I want to start running in the mornings because of the cooler temperatures vs after work but I'm having a bit of anxiety about it. It'll be around 4:00 am in the pitch black, no street lights and a pretty much deserted roadway. Other than a reflective vest and not having my music up as loud as I'd like is there any other suggestions as to ease my mind for doing this w/o thinking that someone or some animal is going to jump out at me along the entire way?

Welcome to my world. I do this 3-4 days a week. Normally the sun doesn't come up till I'm almost done. There are a couple streetlights near my house but I have a 5 mile stretch of nothing but whatever light is in the sky. I typically wear a headlamp. You can run without one but it isn't as much fun and it helps any cars to see you better. I used to run without one but after I tripped over something unseen once and bit the dirt hard, trashed my phone, and banged up my knee I decided to run with one. I'm using a pretty basic Energizer headlamp that I bought at Wal-Mart.

The headlamp turns out to be a great tool. I run into skunks and coyotes occasionally and you can see their glowing eyes long before you could ever see them even in the day. The headlamp really makes the critters stand out and it gets them to start running away from you long before you get there.

The only other thing I have is a flashing led reflector on the back of my shirt or belt in case a car comes up behind me. Even though I don't run with music I like having them as a back-up safety device for visibility.

http://www.amphipod.com/products/vizlet-led-triangles-2-pack

I've only been "harassed" once in the last 6 months. A car was driving up slowly behind me and gradually pulled along beside me. It turned out to be a Sheriff's Department police car. I guess they were just checking out who was running down an empty road so early in the morning. Once they got even with me they sped up and drove off.

You'll probably see next to no one out if you run this early. It's not like villians wait up till 4:00 am looking for people to mug.
  • GreenChile3
    GreenChile3 Posts: 65
    Options
    i run in the mornings as well. I came across a coyote one day and now i bring a pocket knife with me. It prob wont help much if i'm attacked but i feel better that i have something. I also suggest pepper spray too if you can get it. There is a new one out that sprays up to 90MPH.
  • _JamieB_
    _JamieB_ Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Must be aware of your surroundings and keeping the music down is a good idea to help with that!! If I were to run alone at any time, I'd probably just carry my gun :)
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think I just need to go out there one morning and see what happens. As for high-crime area not too sure...the county jail is up the one hill I run past so the only fear there would be an escapee but I'm assuming they wouldn't be staying in the area - and yes I know that's far fetched; there's also a "halfway" house at the beginning but I honestly think its locked down until a certain time in the mornings. I know I'm just making it be scarier than it actually is but I'm single girl that lives alone and I worry about EVERYTHING! :ohwell:
  • geerunz
    geerunz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Pepper spray or other weapon
    Head lamp
    flasing light
    reflective vest
    light colored clothes
    one ear bud, music low
    running partner :love: my favorite
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    i run in the mornings as well. I came across a coyote one day and now i bring a pocket knife with me. It prob wont help much if i'm attacked but i feel better that i have something.

i001.jpg
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Make sure someone knows that you are going on a run. Give them a map of your route and a time period you should be gone. If you are not back by then, they know they need to start looking for you. Wear reflective clothing/shoes, always have your phone, and bring mace. If you follow these precautions you should be ok.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    get a gun and a back holster thats comfortable... nobody would even think of messing with you... my friend cyckes with a 45 on his back in AZ cuz the drivers are horrible... it has been an effective deterrent against heckling, throwing things, and people almost hitting him

albeit, most wont do this, but, it works.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I also run at night. It's quiet in my neighborhood late at night so I don't worry too much.

I do carry a small can of mace because I've had some big dogs run at me and in the event yelling doesn't scare one away I felt like I needed something extra.

I am licensed to carry a firearm, but so far I haven't felt the need to do that. I haven't been bothered by anyone.
    I just keep my music on low so i can hear what's going on around me.
  • christacb
    christacb Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I take a knife with me when I go on walks in the middle of the day! I live on a rural road that runs into a wildlife area. I am terrified that I am going to be attacked by a rabid coyote or raccoon. It is actually a pretty big knife but it does have a case so if I fall hopefully I won't accidentally cut myself.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I take a knife with me when I go on walks in the middle of the day! I live on a rural road that runs into a wildlife area. I am terrified that I am going to be attacked by a rabid coyote or raccoon. It is actually a pretty big knife but it does have a case so if I fall hopefully I won't accidentally cut myself.

You should probably get mace or a gun!
    I sure wouldn't want to let a rabid animal close enough to be able to use a knife on it.
  • _JamieB_
    _JamieB_ Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    get a gun and a back holster thats comfortable... nobody would even think of messing with you... my friend cyckes with a 45 on his back in AZ cuz the drivers are horrible... it has been an effective deterrent against heckling, throwing things, and people almost hitting him

albeit, most wont do this, but, it works.

AWESOME!!!!!!
  • emily487
    emily487 Posts: 5
    Options
    I'd say pepper spray and a whistle. A whistle would probably scare off an animal, and a lot of humans. Pepper spray will get rid of dogs/people. Plus don't have headphones or just use one/turned down so you can hear people/animals/cars, especially since cars won't be looking out for joggers as much if it's early.
  • emily487
    emily487 Posts: 5
    Options
    Also it might be helpful (less for mugging/attacking reasons than for injury I guess) to photocopy your driver's license and health insurance card and laminate them back to back. You could add emergency numbers too. That way if something happens they will have that information without having to look through your phone etc.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    When I'm running early, I don't use headphones. My music isn't loud enough to be heard in a house and there's usually nobody outside to hear it. Even when there is, they might get 3 minutes of Maroon5 before I'm out of hearing range. I don't think that's a sound violation.
  • LisaY76
    LisaY76 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You could always try investing in a treadmill. I know it's not the same as being out in the fresh air but if you are that scared to go out when it's dark and it's the only time you can run then at least a treadmill will give you the exercise you need.

I also use a headlamp if I'm running in the dark. On every run, I carry a waist pack with my keys, phone (for music) and pepper spray. I do my runs after work when the sun is setting and the weather is perfect. It is also when the trails are the busiest so I feel a little safer.

Don't give up running because of fear. For those of us that love running, we always find a way! :bigsmile: