Running alone in the dark

Options

Replies

• pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Now that we're almost into summer, my early runs are light outside. But all the way from October to March they are pitch black. Headlight, lighted armbands, reflective clothing, pepper spray, phone for emergencies. So far so good! Drivers who don't look where they are going are more of a danger than stalkers or wild animals.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Read ths thread: Embarrassed to go jogging because of pervs.

|
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    i run in the mornings as well. I came across a coyote one day and now i bring a pocket knife with me. It prob wont help much if i'm attacked but i feel better that i have something.

i001.jpg

hahaha, But I've come across a coyote before. But it didn't do anything. Maybe because I was walking my dog which was probably about the same size of the coyote or slightly bigger.
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Do you have a dog? They are great running buddies and tend to deter creepers.

Otherwise, how well do you know the area you plan to run in? Make sure you stay to the higher traffic streets, with best lighting (even if it is 4:00am there are some that are better than others). Bring your cell phone with you, stay out of higher crime/secluded areas, stay away from wooded areas, alleys, etc. if you are on a run and get an uncomfortable feeling go home. Trust your intuition.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Read ths thread: Embarrassed to go jogging because of pervs.

|

No OP don't read that thread.

Just run. Bring a headlight and cell phone.

Let people know where you're going.

Some of these threads must be from posters in Syria the way everyone is going on about how dangerous running is.
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I never even thought about a headlamp. Will definitely have to look into getting one of those! I live in a pretty secluded area so in reality, "nothing" should happen....I'm just moreorless thinking the worse because I love to scare myself with things like this!
  • RisOnTheRun
    RisOnTheRun Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest running without headphones at all if you can. Besides the fact that you want to be aware of your surroundings, wearing headphones makes you more of a target because it looks like you're not paying attention even if you are. It can be tough to get used to at first if you always run with music, but it gets easier (I used to be addicted to my iPod, but after a couple of runs without it it wasn't so bad).
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Move to Alaska :)

20 hours of sunlight FTW
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I run with a fully loaded gun in my hand and my finger on the trigger.

In this town, there's no such thing as safe.
  • rich347
    rich347 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I think you should be able to run where ever you want to, we as a society have this "BLAME THE VICTIM" mentality. For example, a woman is raped while jogging late at night in the park, a lot of people are quick to say "SHE SHOULD"T HAVE BEEN JOGGING IN THE DARK"as opposed to "LET FIND THE PERSON THAT DID THIS CRIME".
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    My neighborhood - while it may SEEM OK - is not anywhere I would run alone in the dark in. EVER. Even the safest of places can be surprising when someone things nobody else is looking.
    That being said, we can't be scared of everything, so do what you need to do. My advice though - as a woman - is never to run alone at night or early before the light comes. I found other workouts to do unless I have a buddy. Your safety is paramount.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I say run naked covered in Neon paint.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Move to Alaska :)

20 hours of sunlight FTW

Bears....LOSE
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    When I switch to morning runs for the summer, I let my husband know how long I'll be gone, run with only one headphone in, and carry a weapon. Pepper spray is probably the easiest option, since it's light and small. Although if you're worried about animals, do some research. I don't know how effective it would be on, say, a bear. I carry a small pistol, but I'm trained and prepared to use it, if necessary. That's not comfortable for most people, I suspect.

I also switch to a route in town instead of my usual trail route. I figure it's more populated, so more chance of someone hearing me scream if something happened.

Your best protection would be to not run alone. If you have the option of finding a jogging buddy, do that. But at least have a check-in buddy. Someone that knows where you've gone and when to expect you back.

Be aware and take precautions, but don't live in fear. Have fun!

How do you carry your pistol? Holstered? If so what kind. I've thought about doing this as I may be getting a small pistol soon.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    Options
    I run with a fully loaded gun in my hand and my finger on the trigger.

In this town, there's no such thing as safe.

:flowerforyou:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I think you should be able to run where ever you want to, we as a society have this "BLAME THE VICTIM" mentality. For example, a woman is raped while jogging late at night in the park, a lot of people are quick to say "SHE SHOULD"T HAVE BEEN JOGGING IN THE DARK"as opposed to "LET FIND THE PERSON THAT DID THIS CRIME".

I agree with this, theoretically. However, until the day comes when all the rapists are gone, we need to balance this with avoiding *being* the victim. While you are never really safe, there are places and times when you are less safe.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    Options

I really don't think anyone blames the woman jogging . . . .
  • viser_haut
    viser_haut Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I used to run at 1-2am in my first year of uni (life of a student haha) and I always carried a rape alarm with me; I assume the horrific noise would work equally well to scare animals away! :)
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I run at 4 am all the time. I carry a berretta tomcat, run with my dog and wear light clothing.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I really don't think anyone blames the woman jogging . . . .

Interesting. As a matter of fact, among the women that they've blamed for being raped, there was a 11 year old who was gang raped in Texas a couple of year ago. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/gang-rape-case-11-year-old-girl-texas-continues-divide-small-town-article-1.156043