How much is your gym membership?

Options
Hoosier96
Hoosier96 Posts: 118 Member
All the "women should lift heavy" posts have me hankering for a gym membership so I can have access to free weights, but our budget is reeeeeally tight, and all my healthy grocery shopping isn't exactly freeing up extra money for it right now.

Replies

• crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I go to Goodlife Fitness(Canada) My membership is $18 bi-weekly + tax. It's about $40 a month.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I don't have a gym membership. But... I do have a yoga membership

Since I signed up for the whole year ahead of time, it averages $64 a month.

I used to do 24 Hour Fitness, and it was 29.99 a month. That didn't include the pool, just the basic gym membership.
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where you live, but my gym membership is $19 a month at the Las Vegas Athletic Club. That $19 gets me access to all 5 locations and it's open 24/7, 365.

If your budget is super tight, body weight exercises are still great alternatives to free weights. You can find some amazing programs on Youtube for free.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    My husband pays $30, but gets a discount. I pay $0. Well, montly. We did purchase a bench, bar, plates, dumbbells (plate loadable) and a small rack for me. I will be upgrading from a 3 piece 30 pound bar to a real Big Girl Oly Bar soon. I'm very excited. You may be able to find some equipment to use at home for fairly cheap in the want ads, on Craig's List or a Play it Again Sports type place.
  • Lawngirl296
    Lawngirl296 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is $10.00
  • salemnye
    salemnye Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Mine is free.

I use my apartment complex's gym. I mean it's not elaborate. For cardio there are 2 ellipticals 2 treadmills (1 is broken right now) and 1 bike. There is 1 weight machine that has like 20 different weights you can do (with picture demonstrations) and then there is a leg press (I think it's called) and of course dumbbells are there as well. Not elaborate but it gets the job done.

Ask your friends if they have any weight equipment at home and just hang out there a couple times a week
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    We have a family membership (2 adults, 1 child) and we pay $78 per month. Ours also includes both an indoor and outdoor pool, which sometimes causes the price to go up.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is $10.00

PF also bans deadlifts (as a general policy, per the corporation, I know individual PFs have different rules) and don't tend to welcome heavy lifters, so I'm not sure spending the money, small amount that it is, would be worth it for someone who specifically is looking for a gym to lift heavy in.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I use the YMCA for the pool and that is $456 a year.
  • mmoonstars
    mmoonstars Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    crunch was $10/mo with $50 annual fee, and was great. Lots of cardio options and free classes and good wieght machines and free weight sections

I'm now at my local community center $40/mo no annual fee -smaller weight section, but still all the basics covered, 4 types of cardio machines, and a pool/basketball gym
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I have a family membership (2 adults and 2 kids) at the Fitness Center of our local Hospital. We pay $60.00 and it includes classes, pool, and childcare.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    YMCA in Oklahoma. Average $45 per month, but you have access to all Y locations.
  • RCMPWannaBe
    RCMPWannaBe Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    $68 a month for Goodlife Fitness, and that includes tanning expenses!
  • kingtermite
    kingtermite Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I go to one called "Crunch" (chain, but not that big yet). They are $9.99 / month.

For that price, we have access to all classes, cardio equipment, weight machines, and free weights. There is also tanning booths, but those cost extra.

Look around...this is kind of a new gym model that's been getting popular the last few years. Gyms have all the basics, but not the big expenses (like pools, saunas, etc...) and have these $9.99 range memberships. There may be one like it in your area. Check Yelp.com as a good starting place to look.
  • Rambo529
    Rambo529 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Mine i free (after work gives $25 per month just for having a gym membership) and the health insurance reimbursement of $20 for going 12 times per month. Something to think about is if your health insurance rewards you for going, and if so, is the difference within your budget.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I pay $19.95 at LA Fitness. Bad thing about them is your price depends on when you sign up... right now I hear it's 39.95 a month.
  • Kellylicious01
    Options
    I go to NYSC and pay $69 a month. However, my medical insurance reimburses me $200 every 6 months if I show proof if attendance, so I am really paying $35 a month. However it has no pool. And you need to pay I think $10 per workout to workout at another NYSC.

However, I no longer have that medical insurance and the new one reimburses me $100 every 6 months. I am thinking about switching to Retro Fitness. It's $19.99 plus tax a month.

Wow, Planet Fitness does not allow deadlifts? Why????
  • Watchoutforred
    Watchoutforred Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I pay about $35/month for Anytime Fitness - pretty good setup for lifting and cardio. I like that my membership gets me into any Anytime Fitness around the country - helpful when I'm traveling or even housesitting for a friend across town. However, there seems to be a disproportionate number of tatoo-ed weightlifting men at my local location... :)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    $25/mo at Gold's Gym in Pittsburgh. Membership includes everything except for a parking pass, which is an extra $10/mo. Our gym is located in Downtown so it doesn't have a parking lot, only access to a nearby parking garage where they give discounted monthly parking passes to members.

I want to stress however that my gym membership is going to be cancelled soon as I have put together a home gym with a total investment of approx. $700, give or take, that has gotten me better results so far than anything I was doing at the gym.
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Mine is £18 a month (was £26, but I didn't know they did student discount!) that's anytime gym and swim.
    or it's £21.50 for full access, which includes classes and personal training.

For non students it would be £26 gym and swim, and £30 for full access.

You can also go to any of the other 13 gyms in the area, and they all offer different things, like tennis courts, different classes, badminton and football pitch hiring, etc.