PCOS success stories without Metformin? Need Motivation!

Options
I need some motivation/encouragement! Someone I can take as an example: "If she can do it, then I can do it too!" Anyone with PCOS and has lost weight WITHOUT metformin? How does your average meals looks like? And what is your exercise plan? How do you stay motivated when you see the scale moving down sooo slowly??

I would appreciate it a lotttttt!!! =)

Replies

• zdreamer
    zdreamer Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I can't post a success story just yet but I am GOING to do this w/o Metformin (which makes me feel absolutely awful). So, I will be watching this thread for big time successes!!

I am 14 pounds down so far...........no complaints. Just keeping carbs low and MOVING.
  • middyfire
    middyfire Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm not a success yet as I have a loooong way to go. But I have lost over 40lbs since January.
    This time I am simply sounding my callories and trying to meet my macros. I don't specifically avoid anything but do make sure it fits into my goals for the day. I did have success losing about 30lbs on a low carb (south beach) diet and metformin before, but I -felt- like I was on a diet and it wasn't sustainable for me.

This time I'm simply looking at this like a lifestyle change and I'm not feeling deprived.

Exercise wise I 've been doing circuit training 3x per week and I just recently started C25k.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I've had PCOS for almost a decade and am losing weight with a ketogenic diet and no medications. :)
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I'm down 87 with PCOS, diabetes, and an underactive thyroid. You absolutely can do it without Metformin. I've found that lessening (not eliminating!) carbs has really helped.
  • zombiemomjo
    zombiemomjo Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I tried WeightWatchers, Atkins, grapefruit diet, etc. Metformin didn't do anything for me. After finally getting pregnant after years of trying, I figured out that low dose birth control pills really helped me out. On them for a month or two so I could stop focusing on getting pregnant, and BOOM, conceived the first month off of them. Any hoo, this isn't a trying to conceive story. :) When I got serious about losing the weight 18 months ago, I went back on the low dose BC and started exercising every day. I burned more than I took in every single day, and I lost 30 lbs in 10 months. Slow progress, but I did it!!! I gained some back after taking a break from the pill, celebrating the big 4-0 and the holidays, and I have been struggling to lose that, but once I got back into exercising every day, my body continues to change. No, I'm not dropping the weight, but I'm getting stronger and adding muscle. Even my 5 year old noticed my shoulders. :)

I do try to watch my carbs, but I will not cut them out completely. It's hard, and it's slow for us cysters, but it can be done! I'm no longer pre-diabetic!! It can be done!!!
  • mdj2011
    mdj2011 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have pcos. Just starting my journey. I have 80+ lbs to loose. Feel free to add me. I think support from other people who understand the frustration will be key for success.
  • tooliebell
    tooliebell Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I have lost 71 pounds since July 1, 2012, with no Metformin. I only took that stuff when I was trying to get pregnant and it made me feel awful!

Carbs are my worst enemy as I'm sure you can relate. I try to keep them at a minimum and find I do better when that happens. Exercise and eat right and it will happen.
  • MoreOfJen
    MoreOfJen Posts: 13
    Options
    Oh, I'm so glad to read that you CAN LOSE weight WITHOUT Metformin! Of course, everyone lose weight on a different way. But my doctor in the Netherlands wouldn't describe Metformin for me, as I thought that that must be the only way to lose weight with PCOS. He just simply told me: you gotta live with it... Anyhow, I started with walking these couple of weeks and found myself gaining weight instead of losing. Very discouraging! I read that most of you limited the usage of carbs. I grew up learning to eat bread in the morning, lunch and white rice in the evening. I guess I need to find an alternative! I also read somewhere that people with PCOS need to increase the amount of protein? What is your experience with protein and is taking protein shake the same? It makes me feel good that I'm not alone battling this! Good luck with your journey ladies and keep updating :happy:
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Ask if he will prescribe you Spironolactin. That drug basically cured me. I took it for a year and a half and my cysts disappeared. I have been off it for two years and still no cysts.
  • Init2winIt79
    Init2winIt79 Posts: 582
    Options
    I am a work in progress and I too have PCOS, I'm glad you started this thread, it is easy to forget that we are not alone in our struggle : )
    Anyone can add me, it is nice to have support and give support.

I have lost 20lbs total(from my highest weight of 170is, I'm 5'2), 14lbs lost since I joined MFP :D

I do not use metformin or birth control, when I was younger I was on BC but it never helped...and I gained 30 lbs...cysts continued

I was always athletic, I gained weight because I ate very unhealthy...fast food all the time.

I've beenup and down a lot, but I know it is because of what I eat, when I take weight loss and a healthy life style seriously, I lose! This time my goal is to lose weight, build muscle, and keep the weight off!
    I'm doing this by:
    Eating much cleaner(no fast food, only on my 'cheat' day)
    I only drink water!( no soda or juices, barely drink alcohol(never liked it much to begin with), tea sometimes, or infused fruit water)
    I try not to eat any white bread or white rice, if there's no option I'll have very little and put more veggies on my plate.
    I started making 'Green' smoothies every morning(celery, asparagus, spinach, beets, carrots, cucumbers, & water..sometimes banana or blueberries added)...at first tatsed like crap, but now that I know how good I feel for the hwole day if I drink it..I actually look forward to it. It helps burn fat, fight cancer, keeps you full for longer, gives you energy, and supplies a lot of water! I drink this before my workouts;

I start by stretching then,
    I run on elliptical,(or outside, or treadmill) at level 8 for 3-5 miles doing HIIT, fast as I can for 1 minute, then run at a good pace for 2, and back to sprinting!
    After that I use a bike for 2 or 3 miles, I try to break a sweat and keep it going, even if it means doing Hills.
    After warming up I stretch again, then I hit the weights for resistance training
    chest press, flyes, curls, tricep dips
    when I have time I add in lower body workouts such as squats, lunges
    After every workout I sit in the gym's sauna for approx. 25 minutes, and do my ab workouts here, great way to wind down and sweat more!

I do this routine about 3x a week sometimes 4, I work nights so one of my biggest challenges is CONSISTANCY...finding the time and motivation can be hard sometimes, but when I slack at the gym it shows in my clothes and in the mirror almost immediately..so I am my own motivation, I like how I feel about myself and how I look when I exercise, when that doesn't work I look at success pictures and stories, that always works!

Good Luck on your journey! Just remember you can and will accomplish your goals.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and dont take metformin. I have lost 182 pounds with another 40 pounds to go...so yes it definitely can be done :)
  • livlovra
    livlovra Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Paleo/Primal diet works for me.

And plenty of exercise. Definitely don't need drugs. I did a lot of research on this for a uni course I was doing and in Holland they had found diet and exercise are MORE effective than metformin. Good luck.
  • belindab10
    belindab10 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm not a success yet as I have a loooong way to go. But I have lost over 40lbs since January.
    This time I am simply sounding my callories and trying to meet my macros. I don't specifically avoid anything but do make sure it fits into my goals for the day. I did have success losing about 30lbs on a low carb (south beach) diet and metformin before, but I -felt- like I was on a diet and it wasn't sustainable for me.

This time I'm simply looking at this like a lifestyle change and I'm not feeling deprived.

Exercise wise I 've been doing circuit training 3x per week and I just recently started C25k.

I don't have PCOS but I saw the words metformin and just cringe when I think of that medication. I was diagnosed with diabetes couple years ago and was put on metformin...i hate that stuff! made me feel awful! I basically have been weaning myself off of it by watching what I eat which is watching my sugar intake, reading packages and aiming for products that have a higher fiber count and less sugar count, counting my calories by inputting them in MFP, drinking alot of water and exercise. I am down 40 lbs down.

I didn't even know that they gave metformin for PCOS so this is new to me but I feel better not taking it. What's funny is at my recent doctor checkup they were amazed at how much weight I had lost and how better my sugar count was....but you know what? He still wanted to keep me on the meds! I just nodded and said yeah but I'm still not taking it. Just gonna keep doing what I'm doing and I guarantee with what I'm doing and faith I know next time when I have my check up I'm going to be out of diabetic range :).
  • mariahmilan
    mariahmilan Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've had PCOS since I was a teen - it's been HELL!

Honestly, the only way I was to EVER lose any weight with PCOS (I went down from 252 to 192 myself this way) is to keep an eye on hormonal elements.

PCOS is an edocrine disorder and we have way too much estrogen. And the bummer about it is that estrogen is everywhere! So we have to be really crazy about things that include more estrogen around us - these are things like laundry detergents and cleaners we use, plastic that we drink out of, skin care (skin is our biggest organ!), soybeans, gmo foods (these really disrupt our hormones!) and even scents. Did you know lavender has a lot of xeno-estrogens in it?

I have been very dilligent about learning all of these things since my 20's when I was ttc my first baby (in vitro) then the next two came on their own as my body got healthier.

While food is a portion of what triggers our PCOS (soy, gmo foods) a lot of it has to do with our environment as well.

Hope this is helpful to you. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions at all!
  • mrsowen2012
    mrsowen2012 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi

I too have had PCOS since I was a teenager. I was first diagnosed here in the UK by a horrible doctor at the age of 14 - who resulted me into tears after telling me that I would never be seen as sexy and that no man would ever love me - I do have to say that I later went on and worked for that hospital and found out that it wasn't just me that he would say horrible things to!

Anyway, I thought I would say that I am here for support - I am back on the weight loss wagon, but this time for forever - hence why I joined MFP.

I am currently on a birth control pill - Dianette - which is supposed to be perfect for us PCOS-ers. I love to swim and I have now joined a local pool. Unfortunately due to typical PCOS problems I can't always go and these last 2 weeks I haven't been able to go as I had a cyptoscopy and I've not been right since, but I am going to go back to aquafit tonight - which is a really great fun way to burn some calories!

Lots of people have told me that I could take Metformin, but I work with alot of patients that are on Metformin and I don't feel that I need to take it. If I can change my diet and lifestyle then I shouldn't need to pop another pill!

I have also started up a blog with food that we are eating together - my hubby (yes, Hubby - have that horrible Dr!) and I - we want to loose it together so when we have children in the future we can be good role models to them.

My blog is here: http://thelifeofmrso.blogspot.co.uk/

This week we are trying to slowly cut down on the carbs AND Jeremy has joined the gym!!

Feel free to add me on here as friend - we all need to stick together.

Good luck! x
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    I am a PCOS girl but no cysts, just amennhorreic (sp? irregular periods basically) and high testosterone. Took metformin when ttc (and it worked!) but everything since then has been just me..

my understanding is that it is easy to put weight on and hard to get it off with PCOS. But that is the clue - 'hard' not 'impossible'.

Portion control, keeping an eye on your macros, and getting yourself moving will all help you beat this.
    Oh, and I can't recommend lifting heavy things and putting them back down again enough, wish I'd discovered lifting years ago! I'm on 2000 cals/day as a result AND I have a waist for the first time ever!

some before/afters on my profile :)
  • cmalmasy
    cmalmasy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I am in major need of motivation as well. I have PCOS and have been able to control my weight, but after I had twins last year I now have 30 pounds to lose and the scale is NOT budging! I truly think I may just throw my scale away because I am so discouraged by it. I'm watching my diet and working out like crazy. Just this week I started taking Metformin again, but now that I read all of these posts, I'm thinking maybe I don't have to. I've always been afraid of birth control pills because I feel like it will mess with my already screwed up hormones, but maybe that is an option. Thanks ladies- good thread!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I have had PCOS since my early teens, which is when I really started gaining weight.

For me, I credit two things:

1) I took birth control pills, starting about 8 years ago. I know they don't help some, but they helped me get on track.
    2) I started regularly doing martial arts about 6 years ago. I love them, and since I have been doing martial arts I have even gone off the bc for over a year at a time and my blood sugars, cycles, etc. stayed regulated. I think (but cannot be sure) that the physical activity really helped stabilize me.

I lost 33 lbs last year. I put 15 back on while dissertating this spring, but THAT'S over, so I'm back on track and up to -22 from beginning. It's probably more since I haven't been able to weigh myself in the two weeks.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Me... I did it without anything but diet and exercise.
  • joeylu
    joeylu Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 lbs before i had my son without Metformin. I hate metformin. I did the pcos diet of 40% 30% 30% and ate little to no sugar and I did it
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!