PCOS success stories without Metformin? Need Motivation!

Options

Replies

• tytybaby626
    Options
    I was recently informed that I may have PCOS or close to having it if I don't start changing my eating habits. The doctor wants me to lose weight before continuing my TTC journey. I plan to lose 10 pounds per month for the next 5 months. I just need a little boost and some occasional motivation.
  • erin4609
    erin4609 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and am thus vulnerable to weight gain. You just accept that you can't eat like other people and not gain weight, and the weight starts coming off after you start eating right. I take D-Chiro-Inistol which may have helped keep my weight down.

You can do this! I did, and although it's been a hard journey, I'm doing it and it's going great!
  • VanCityFit
    VanCityFit Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    With insulin resistant PCOS I am only able to lose weight with restricting my carbs to around 50grams a day. I am seeing a Naturopath now who just took blood yesterday to get new readings I will likely go on Metformin, I've never had issues with it and I will accept any help I can get regulating my insulin level. I am also going to be taking desiccated thyroid meds to get my thyroid working properly.

I am struggling, restricted diet and lifting heavy five days a week hasn't done a single thing for me, if anything I have gained weight. Keto is the only way I lose but as soon as I reintegrate carbs I gain it all back.
  • AmberleyAngel
    AmberleyAngel Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I was first put on Metformin in 2000 and it never helped me lose weight even though I was also under a dietitian at the same time. My stomach doesn't like it and so I went off it.

I've been back on Metformin (at half the dose I was on back in 2000) since October last year, but because I am now a diabetic. My weight loss can be entirely attributed to diet and exercise. I started on a VLCD program in October 2012 and then joined here to continue the loss going. Still got 38 kilos to go.

They say Metformin helps with weight loss but in my experience it did absolutely nothing but give me a tummy upset.

When I first started losing weight on the VLCD it was without exercise as I was an invalid with a bad leg infection. About February I really started doing some exercise and worked up to where I do about an hour 5 days a week now. My base calorie goal is 1500-1600; more when I exercise. My carbs are limited to 150 (most of the time) regardless of the caloric goal.
  • arpitaruby
    Options
    Dear Friends

I have the worst pcos ever. not getting period on my own even after having metformin. we have been trying for a baby since 3 years with out any success. want to stay in low carb diet and loose weight to get pregnant. Hope, it works for me.
  • nicolemtracy
    nicolemtracy Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    We are totally in the same boat girlie! Us polysisters need to stick together. :)
  • StrivingForaPerfectfit
    Options
    I've been trying to manage my PCOS without Metformin this past year (start in October). I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was fifteen and never had done anything about it because my doctor was completely useless. When I graduated high school I realized I needed to make a lifestyle change. I eat as healthy as possible in my given circumstances and exercise nearly every day (excluding the weekend).

With that being said. I've lost 65+ pounds so far. After I lost around 30 pound, my cycles started to get more regular (they started on March 15) and now they have been coming every month since.

For my diet, I keep it mainly low carb (excluding fruits and whole grains with the occasional splurge) with high protein and healthy fats. However I'm thinking of going vegan for personal reasons, which may be a challenge but I'm determined to try it.

Basically, it just takes tons of dedication and hard work!
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I've never been on any time of PCOS medication and I have lost 85lb. successfully. I'm at 64 (gained a bit due to extensive travel) lb. loss now but I will be back to where I was in no time.

It CAN happen!!
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    No drugs/meds here, 30 lbs more to go. Just keep swimming!
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    hmmmm.... i have had pcos probably even longer than i was diagnosed (which was like 18 years ago)

i have rarely had enough insurance to be on any medications.

every time i have tried to lose weight, i have had success by following high fiber low fat reasonable calorie deficit plans and exersizing. the only reason they have failed in the past is because i failed to keep them up.

i may not be able to lose all my extra weight because of it, i really dont know. but i do know that i take nothing except a diet plan and consistent exersize that increases in length or difficulty or both over time.

that said i am going to the doc to discuss it for the first time since my diagnosis this month. i mean i have mentioned it in passing but no insurance meant no doc unless it was life or death. anyway i will discuss it but i tend to look for alternatives to medications... so we shall see.

also for my gift to myself when i reach my loss goal i am going to get electrolysis for my stupid face.
  • chatchaser
    Options
    U don't need metformin to lose weight with pcos!

I took metformin for 4yrs, I lost 50lbs the first year as I had a smaller appetite cuz I was always nauseous..but then my body got used it and no matter what I did gained all back AND I got a huge 20cm ovarian cyst which i had to have removed along with one of ovaries

If you have pcos go GLUTEN FREE now!

And use weights when exercising it's extremely important for pcos! take magnesium and vitamin d supplements, both vitamins pco
    women are statistically extremely low in.

Get checked for hashimoto...

My periods returned after going gluten free..after no period for
    17 yrs

Lastly..exercise after dinner and try not to eat after 7pm.
    That alone helped me lose 100lbs in the past quite easily
  • Sonshine1296
    Sonshine1296 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have lost 30 lbs by eating protein, veggies, fruits, and nuts (I cut out wheat and sugar) along with consistent exercise since March of this year. Still on my way down and I have hope that I will continue to lose.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I have never been on any medication for it. I have lost 86 pounds so far. It took me about a year and a half. I started with very low carb, but it did not work for me for various reasons. I then switched to moderate carbs and my weight is coming off slowly but surely. At first I was strictly on a low calorie diet to take off as much of the weight as possible until my blood sugar stabilizes. It used to hover around 110 and now it hovers around 85 most of the time, which is considered in the normal range. My periods used to come once every 3-4 months, and at the 50 pound weight loss mark they started coming every single month like clockwork.

Diet: Started low carb, low calorie then gradually increased my carbs and calories guided by my glucose meter. I now eat a random calorie random carb diet (1000-2500 calories and 100-250 carbs).

The loss has slowed down because some weeks I eat at maintenance, but when I go at a deficit I do lose weight steadily. A typical day includes some kind of fish or poultry, mostly tuna, moderate amounts of starches, mostly beans and oatmeal, a lot of vegetables and vegetable soups, 1 or two portions of nuts a day, an indulgence food like chocolate or ice cream, and quite a bit of fruits (not the best choice, but I love them and I have enough flexibility to handle them now).

Basically I'm successfully managing blood sugar now without cutting down on carbs, gluten, dairy, or anything. As a matter of fact the bulk of my protein intake comes from dairy. Every person responds differently, so I urge you to experiment for yourself and arrive on a diet that works for you.

Workout: bodyweight and dumbbell resistance training 3x a week and incline walking 7x a week. Staying active whenever possible is what gives me such a flexibility with diet and keeps my blood sugar under control.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I am curious to find out how all of you were diagnosed with PCOS?? I went to a new Dr he did blood work and told me that I had PCOS, he also said that I had hormonal imbalanced. he put me on hormone medication, metformin and thyroid medicine.

I hated the way I felt with the medication, I felt like I was retaining a lot more water and was gaining weight vs loosing. I went for a second opinion took the medication and my blood work and the Dr told me that I should be on any medication that according to the blood work all my levels were fine. I did not need hormone medication, thyroid medication or the metformin. He said that the test I had done was not even testing me for PCOS.

I know i can drop the weight without any medication

I was diagnosed through ultrasound when I mentioned the low frequency of my periods. And sure enough, classic case of cysts.
  • prensis
    prensis Posts: 7
    Options
    Low-carb all the way! It's the only thing that has ever worked for me.

Check out this highly informative 20-part series on dealing with PCOS: http://www.examiner.com/article/20-simple-steps-you-can-take-to-control-polycystic-ovarian-syndrome-pcos-1

The 5th post in the series examines going low-carb with PCOS: http://www.examiner.com/article/20-simple-steps-you-can-take-to-control-polycystic-ovarian-syndrome-pcos-5

But really, check out the whole series!

Also, a simple "low-carb pcos study" google search will result in a lot of medical information on how and why this works.
  • plamina
    plamina Posts: 5
    Options
    Have you considered acupuncture? It has really helped.
  • Anahita_Swims
    Anahita_Swims Posts: 4,127 Member
    Options
    lost 22 lbs on my own with out metformin... taking it now i seem to have lulled oh and the fact my androgen levels are through the roods like 900's :/
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    One thing I cannot stress enough ladies-- Metformin/Metformin ER is NOT, and I repeat is NOT a medication to help you lose weight. If you have PCOS and are, or have ever taken this medication ONLY for this specific purpose, you will be sorely disappointed. That is NOT it's purpose. That IS a side-effect. Each of us struggling with PCOS are unique. Every woman you meet with PCOS will be different, and how she is able to be treated and/or lose weight will be different. For those who are insulin resistant with hormonal imbalances- YES, Metformin is a good option, that's what it's designed for. Metformin helps the body to absorb the insulin that the body has produced to allow you to properly metabolize food. It's NOT a weight loss drug, for those of us who have PCOS, it simply allows our bodies to function as it's supposed to naturally, only it's not doing naturally.

Now, there are natural alternatives, such as Cinnamon tablets (they aid in absorption of insulin), as well as Chromium. Like many other women have mentioned, eating a higher protein, lower carbohydrate diet is ideal.

Not every woman who has PCOS is insulin resistant, so the need for any type of medication or supplement wouldn't be necessary, but I think there is a lot of misinformation out there as to what some of the medications we have for PCOS actually do.
  • mcva929
    mcva929 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 15, prescribed birth control, and slowly gained weight until I was about 20. When I really started trying, I was able to lose about 30 pounds by diet and exercise alone. I was able to keep it off for about a year before my body decided to lose its mind; I gained about 60 pounds in a year and a half by changing nothing except my brand of birth control. Now I'm on BC, levothyroxine, and metformin just to keep my hormones in check. I'm hoping that I'll be able to lose enough weight by the end of this year to get off of the metformin, at least (I've never had any issues with it; I just don't like taking so many meds). Good luck to you on your journey! It definitely can be done!
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Down 54 pounds since March 8th with pretty severe PCOS and no meds. Feel free to friend me!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!