Why has cheese such a bad name?

Options
Just looking to get some opinoins in general, its not just that I have read it on here but a lot of the time when i've come across bikini-diets for summer recently and that sort of thing everyone says to cut back cheese/cut it out...now I don't eat it everyday but i do eat it occasionally in a sandwich or on crackers, i've probably cut it down to 2 days a week now, 1 sometimes i'm just wondering why it has such a bad rep, is it the high fat amount?

Replies

• Cese27
    Cese27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    People assume high fat is the devils creation,people are wrong
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I think part of the problem is that many kinds of cheese go hand in hand with junk foods.
    If you pick the right cheeses and pair them with healthier foods you should be fine.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    What a friend we have in cheeses,
    Gorgonzola, blue, and brie,
    What a privilege to serve them
    Sliced with fruit, for you and me.
    Oh Canadian Black Diamond!
    Who could ever ask for more?
    Smoky, earthy, full of flavor,
    Aged since 1994.
  • CeriGrindrod
    CeriGrindrod Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    just eat it in moderation like everything else :)

grapes and cheese as a snack.. YUMMMMMM
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Cheese is a gift from above. It is calorie dense but not bad for you.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I have MOSTLY cut out cheese just because it is calorie dense and I am currently on a cut. I will prolly start eating more when I switch to a bulking diet. Love me some sharp cheddar with an apple.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Aged since 1994.

Thank you so much for sharing this inspirational hymn! I'm going to go about memorizing it now... CHEEEEEEEEESE!
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    1 ounce of full fat cheese daily greatly reduces diabetes risk. In small amounts it is good, bingeing on cheese or having cheese oneverything not so much
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Cheese is great and healthy in moderation, like just about anything else. Problem is that it is addicting and calorie dense,if you don't measure it can get ugly.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Just looking to get some opinoins in general, its not just that I have read it on here but a lot of the time when i've come across bikini-diets for summer recently and that sort of thing everyone says to cut back cheese/cut it out...now I don't eat it everyday but i do eat it occasionally in a sandwich or on crackers, i've probably cut it down to 2 days a week now, 1 sometimes i'm just wondering why it has such a bad rep, is it the high fat amount?

It is pretty calorie dense. 1 oz of full fat cheese is like 100 calories. I love sharp cheddar cheese and monterey jack with peppers. I can eat a lot of cheese so I try not to have it around.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    The type of fat, and sodium. Look at the difference between Munster cheese and goat cheese; that should give you a clue.
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I love cheese and I will include it as part of a healthy diet in moderation. I think people over do it with cheese and it gets a bad wrap.
  • a_claire
    a_claire Posts: 61
    Options
    Whenever people say that cheese isn't worth the calories, all I can think is "Wait what? Have you ever even HAD cheese?!"
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I love cheddar cheese, and eat it when I want it, but no one is going to get me to believe it is healthy. It is almost pure saturated fat and those fats are not healthy. But it is soooo tasty!
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Lactose intolerance won't stop me from eating cheese. It's too tasty.
  • christinealexis
    Options
    I would never cut cheese out of my diet...love it too much...again..everything in moderation. I have low fat string cheese with an apple for a snack. it's a good combo.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Misinformation mostly. Obviously theses same people never had the opportunity to eat Moliterno black truffle pecorino.....and rightly so, those smug *kitten*. :happy:

[image]http://www.itausimports.com.au/media/k2/items/cache/d3b3799d6611d677944f5f86a500beb3_M.jpg[/image]
  • Saturn226
    Saturn226 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Its calorie dense

Cheese for the most part also makes me vomit. I cant stand the taste or smell of almost all cheeses. I can only stomach american cheese and pizza lol. I can't have mozzerella any other way and I certainly can not eat it fresh. Thats why cheese has a bad name for me :)
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Aged since 1994.

Thank you...and can I get a AMEN!?!?
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    The sodium in a lot of cheeses is high. I love cheese, and it's often been my go-to snack, but I have to cut back. I don't really care about the fat or the calories because I count the calories like everything else, and my fats are usually not too bad, but the sodium is what kills me (I have high blood pressure.)