Why has cheese such a bad name?

Options

Replies

• zoodocgirl
    zoodocgirl Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If I was stranded on a desert island and had to choose one food to eat for the rest of my life, it'd be cheese, hands down. So, I try for moderation but I don't even care if it's unhealthy. A life without cheese isn't life.
  • mikkimomof3
    mikkimomof3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I use a little feta on my salads instead of dressing...it's all about moderation :)
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I like extra sharp cheddar because I can eat it despite lactose intolerance :D I don't think those "bikini ready in 21 days!!!" articles are exactly rife with solid nutritional advice so unless you're eating like a freaking block of cheese at a time you're probably fine
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I have a little feta cheese on my salads atleast every other day and atleast another ounce some some fruit (pears, grapes, apples are great pairings). Like everyone has said, everything in moderation. It is not bad for you just don't overdo it!
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese with most meals and often snack on it as well, as long as it fits into my calories and macros...and it hasnt stopped me from losing weight (but must admit a LOT of people comment on it in my diary lol)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Cheese is great and healthy in moderation, like just about anything else. Problem is that it is addicting and calorie dense,if you don't measure it can get ugly.

^^yep
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Cheese is my friend:) it fills me up and boosts my protein and add it to a white sauce over veggies.... Yum!!!!!
    I eat it as long as it fits.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love cheese especially sharp/pungent types. It's easier to get by with a smaller amount of a strongly flavoured blue or old cheddar than the more bland types.
  • Deps
    Deps Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I love cheese too. I recently started buying Bega Stringers again. I haven't had them since I was a kid! Only 59calories or so per stringer plus it keeps me busy while I eat it. However I have to prevent myself from buying Blue Vein or my self-control flies merrily out the window and I will happily eat the entire block.

I think the trick with cheese is small servings. Handily, a lot of cheeses come in small packets if you have trouble limiting yourself and it makes a wonderful snack. :) Free the Cheese!
  • cng31183
    cng31183 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Mmmm.....parmesan.... one of my goals in life is to go to Italy and buy a wheel of parmigiano reggiano....loves me some parmesan!!!!:love::love: :love:
  • Peanutbutterx
    Peanutbutterx Posts: 332
    Options
    i thought that too when i first started dieting, but now i eat the kraft cheese slices made with 2% milk instead of whole and its just as good : ) i dont drink a lot of milk so need the calcium. i love cheese. they also have 60 calorie colby jack cheddar cheese sticks that are really good, and string cheese thats lower in calories. feta cheese is also pretty low in calories and really good with salads : )
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    a whole wedge of light cheese is less than 500 calories, but people are too lazy to actually learn about nutrition so they stick to low calorie foods and deprive themselves thinking they're being healthy.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    You had better brielieve that cheese is gouda for you!
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I always put some cheese in my omelettes, bit of black pepper on top, delicious protein breakfast or lunch :tongue:
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I loooove cheese!

Funny thing about Parmesan... Anyone else ever notice it smells like vomit? I still like it, love it actually, but the distinctive flavor of Parmesan comes from butyric acid, which is also the distinctive odor of vomit. Also, interestingly, it's what dogs smell from our pores when they "smell fear".
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    You had better brielieve that cheese is gouda for you!

Well I'll be edammed.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I loooove cheese!

Funny thing about Parmesan... Anyone else ever notice it smells like vomit? I still like it, love it actually, but the distinctive flavor of Parmesan comes from butyric acid, which is also the distinctive odor of vomit. Also, interestingly, it's what dogs smell from our pores when they "smell fear".

Yes, I've noticed that smell, but didn't know what was causing it! Actually, a few delicious, flavoursome foods have a smell that verges on unpleasant - fish sauce, sauerkraut, stilton, etc.

Anyway, cheese. It's high-fat, high-calorie and very easy to eat too much of. I'd hate to give it up though, so I eat up to an oz a day (OK, I have sometimes eating more than an oz) of the high fat ones, plus some low-fat fromage frais/quark. If I'm buying high-fat cheese I do tend to go for the highly flavoured ones such as parmesan because I feel that I'm getting more taste for my calories! :laugh:
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I loooove cheese!

Yes, I've noticed that smell, but didn't know what was causing it! Actually, a few delicious, flavoursome foods have a smell that verges on unpleasant - fish sauce, sauerkraut, stilton, etc.

Anyway, cheese. It's high-fat, high-calorie and very easy to eat too much of. I'd hate to give it up though, so I eat up to an oz a day (OK, I have sometimes eating more than an oz) of the high fat ones, plus some low-fat fromage frais/quark. If I'm buying high-fat cheese I do tend to go for the highly flavoured ones such as parmesan because I feel that I'm getting more taste for my calories! :laugh:

Omg I loooove speisequark! I wish they had it back home, it's a fantastic protein source!
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Go for proper cheese, yum yum bulks up my omlettes on training days to get the calories, plus damn tastey

I cant stomach the low fat stuff (plus you end up eating alot more cause you think its 'good')
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I love cheese. I'm never giving that up. I've found some low fat cheese I like too.