Dr. Oz - 75 grams of protein?

Options
jennknut
jennknut Posts: 32 Member
Watched Dr. Oz today and he recommended 75 grams of protein over the course of 3 meals, looked at my reports, and the highest I have ever had, is 66. Of course he recommends lean protein, but just checking to see if others do this? If so, any meal suggestions. Thanks

Replies

• TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes, Protein bars. I found good ones at Sam's club.
  • spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My macros are set at at least 100 grams of protein.
    It's not too hard for me, but I live a low carb lifestyle.
    Feel free to check out my food diary.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Nothing Dr. Oz says is credible.

**bubbleburst**
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I am big fan of higher protein intake than MFP recommends. You can get protein from eggs, meat, fish and beans. I would start there before using powder. You want to do things that are lifestyle changes.
  • melbogg
    melbogg Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    yes, daily goal 80g, but I concentrate specifically on protein.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    On what basis did he recommend 75g of protein? A blanket approach for everyone?

And what on Earth is a lean protein?
  • freebirdjones
    freebirdjones Posts: 237
    Options
    I do 1 gram of protein per 1 lb of body weight
  • CatShelton
    CatShelton Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I try to get at least 100 but my macros is set to 124.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I try to eat at least 80 grams of protein a day. That's minimum. Most days I'm aiming for around 100.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    That is the minimum amount of protein most nutritionists will tell you to eat per day for adults. Kids don't need that much.

Lean meats, protein shakes, etc.
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options

lean protein: meats with lower fat content ie: chicken, fish, lean cuts of beef.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    75 grams of protein PER meal? Now we're talking.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Bison steak, stat!
  • ironanimal
    Options

lean protein: meats with lower fat content ie: chicken, fish, lean cuts of beef.
    The protein is still the same O.o
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Agree that some of what Dr. Oz is now recommending is starting to remind me more of an infomercial, than actual medical advice. It seems it shouldn't be a set amount of protein, but a percentage based on your calorie intake & current weight. I have mine custom set at 25%, based on the latest nutritional recommendations. If you get too much protein, although I think the opposite is more of a problem, then it can leech the calcium from your body (if you don't get enough calcium) & could cause osteoporosis, especially in women.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options

Bison steak, stat!

Eff that. Bring on the ribeye.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I do 1 gram per pound of LBM, which is 98 grams.

That said, Dr. Oz is not a reputable source of information. Some he gets right, plenty he gets wrong.
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I try to go for 90 each day, 100 if I can! I've noticed Dr Oz at the end of each show having a disclaimer against false advertisers trying to say he endorses certain products, about time cause some of the stuff I was seeing his picture next to made me think quack.

Anyways, it's a general number to shoot for and I agree it should be a minimum. To actually figure out how much protein we need, you have to calculate your body weight and activities like weight lifting and such.
  • ironanimal
    Options
    Agree that some of what Dr. Oz is now recommending is starting to remind me more of an infomercial, than actual medical advice. It seems it shouldn't be a set amount of protein, but a percentage based on your calorie intake & current weight. I have mine custom set at 25%, based on the latest nutritional recommendations. If you get too much protein, although I think the opposite is more of a problem, then it can leech the calcium from your body (if you don't get enough calcium) & could cause osteoporosis, especially in women.
    That's a new one.
  • GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options

The protein is still the same O.o
    The fat content is obviously what is meant by lean.
    4oz of chicken breast and 4oz of hamburger meat might have equal protein
    But one is LEAN with less fat and less calories.
    Come on now bro!