Dr. Oz - 75 grams of protein?

Options

Replies

• kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I have roughly 190lbs lean body mass, my macro for protein is set to 240g though.
  • spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I do 1 gram of protein per 1 lb of body weight

Actually, it is supposed to be 1 gram of protein per 1 lb. of LBM, not body weight.
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Agree that some of what Dr. Oz is now recommending is starting to remind me more of an infomercial, than actual medical advice. It seems it shouldn't be a set amount of protein, but a percentage based on your calorie intake & current weight. I have mine custom set at 25%, based on the latest nutritional recommendations. If you get too much protein, although I think the opposite is more of a problem, then it can leech the calcium from your body (if you don't get enough calcium) & could cause osteoporosis, especially in women.
    I would be very interested to know where this information has come from ? If you could point me in the correct direction I would be most grateful

Forks over Knives talks about how increasing protein content of food in both rats and populations of humans whose food is supplemented through the UN directly correlates to cancer in the rats and "Western" diseases in humans.

The China Study is also fascinating - people living in the areas in China that have traditionally used meat for flavour rather than a macronutrient have 4000 times less risk of developing cancer than those living in populations in China where meat is eaten frequently.

PCRM advocates 15% of total calories be protein in humans.

Editing to add: Dr. Oz is a fame-hungry media addict. I don't place much value in most of what he says.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Please stop watching Dr. Oz and go find some real books. At one time he was credible, but alas, the money has led to flogging what people want to hear or what his sponsors want him to talk about. Here is a vlog from a Bodybuilder that happens to have a PHd in nutritional science and his research thesis focused on protein use in the body.

http://www.biolayne.com/uncategorized/biolayne-video-log-4-myths-about-protein/

You need to estimate your lean body mass and decide on a goal for your physique to determine what is a good nutrition plan. Here is a simple calculator that might help.

http://iifym.com/IIFYM-calculator/
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Generally the western diet includes far too much protein. Protein is great and your body needs it but in balance with carbs and fats.People get obsessed with high protein. Has anyone ever known anyone with a protein deficiency? The answer will be no because in the western world it doesn't happen.

I know the you need to eat silly amounts of protein brigade will disagree with this. Just remember carbs are the bodies main source of energy.Carbs give you the energy to work those muscles so they can get bigger. If you haven't eaten enough carbs you will lose energy and your body will use your protein for energy rather than muscle building.

I await this POV to be leaped upon with gusto.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    The mention of Dr Oz should be banned in all forums :)
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Well you should generally stop listening to Dr. Oz, but yes, more protein is a good thing. I aim for at least 100g a day. 1g per pound of lean body mass.
  • SrsLii
    SrsLii Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Nothing Dr. Oz says is credible.

**bubbleburst**

Agreed. He let a podiatrist tell the world to spray their flip flops with HAIRSPRAY in the summer to keep them from slipping. Hahaha.
    BUT.. to get more protein just try the powder's =) I used to make a coffee drink and mix it in there. It was Yummy <3

I don't know about flip flops, but hairspray on the soles of shoes to keep from slipping is an old dancers' trick. We used to do it all the time back in the day. It's legit.

Who knew, apparently Dr. Oz has actually had one legit thing on his show. I wouldn't have believed it if you hadn't posted it. Then again, it wasn't about dieting, so, there you go. ^^
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I fall short of my protein goals every day and it's very frustrating. Usually it's because I've exhausted my fat calories and I don't eat fat-free dairy. I know I can eat more egg whites but I'd love some ideas on very low fat sources of protein.

Oh...I should note that this has been a challenging week food wise because of a Mother's Day brunch and a horrible dinner that my sister prepared for her son's birthday. Just in case anyone looks at my diary :)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Generally the western diet includes far too much protein. Protein is great and your body needs it but in balance with carbs and fats.People get obsessed with high protein. Has anyone ever known anyone with a protein deficiency? The answer will be no because in the western world it doesn't happen.

I know the you need to eat silly amounts of protein brigade will disagree with this. Just remember carbs are the bodies main source of energy.Carbs give you the energy to work those muscles so they can get bigger. If you haven't eaten enough carbs you will lose energy and your body will use your protein for energy rather than muscle building.

Vegan alert

Typical defense when asked how to get more protein; "you don't need much!"
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I fall short of my protein goals every day and it's very frustrating. Usually it's because I've exhausted my fat calories and I don't eat fat-free dairy. I know I can eat more egg whites but I'd love some ideas on very low fat sources of protein.

What's your fat goal?
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Watched Dr. Oz today and he recommended 75 grams of protein over the course of 3 meals, looked at my reports, and the highest I have ever had, is 66. Of course he recommends lean protein, but just checking to see if others do this? If so, any meal suggestions. Thanks

I don't give a crap what Dr. Oz says in general...but I think this time he got it close to right. I eat over 140 grams every day
  • tinytasha7
    tinytasha7 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I do 1 gram of protein per 1 lb of body weight
    Yikes! I'd be at 330 grams per day!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I'll stand over here with you for a little bit. While the MFP guidelines are too low, the protein recommendations I see around here do seem on the high side. There are 150 pound women on here that are being told to eat more protein than I ate when I was a 26 year old, 240 pound mountain of muscle. I used to giggle about the "Magical Proteins" of MFP when I joined the site last year. Sore? Pile on the protein! Want to run 5 miles a day on a bulk? No problem at all, just have more protein all your muscle will be spared! And yeah, the main difference between bulking and cutting for me is the carbs. My protein and fat stay relatively high during either cycle.

While I don't believe there's an inherent danger to high protein diets, I'm starting to suspect some of the super high recommendations have been secretly coming from the supplement industry. You know, sort of how people will say breakfast is a conspiracy started by cereal manufacturers.

As with most things, the answer probably lies somewhere in middle.
  • bound4beauty
    Options
    That formula isn't right. It's 1 g for each pound of lean body weight, not total body weight.
  • bound4beauty
    Options

What's your fat goal?

30% but I try and get the bulk of my fat from things like avocados, olive oil, coconut oil, nuts, nut butter, etc...
  • teamike
    teamike Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I shoot for at least 200 grams of protein per day.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Personally, I am beginning to just understand my body and find when I consume between 80-110 grams of protien per day, my other macro counts are tracking well also and have had a pretty balanced day. I like balance.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

What's your fat goal?

30% but I try and get the bulk of my fat from things like avocados, olive oil, coconut oil, nuts, nut butter, etc...

I'm not sure what mine is in terms of percentage but it's 48 grams per day, which is close to the minimum recommended by this post:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

It recommends .35 grams per pound of body weight (or per pound of LBM if you are obese I think).

Anyway I'm regularly right at my limit. I do 2% on most dairy, but that's because of the calories not the fat.