Replies

• paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • summery79
    summery79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at 1800, and trying to find my maintenance level. I run, and am fairly tall, so I suspect I am under eating. I have a fitbit coming in the mail to help me sort out my TDEE, finally!

I did 1200s-1400s for like 8-9 months to get to my current weight. The thing I am finding hard with the much larger amt of cals is that when I ate less, I had to really think about what I was eating. As in, if I ate at a burger joint, it was guaranteed I was going to be hungry the rest of the day or go over. That was a big motivator not to go there! Now I have a lot more leeway, and I have to be careful that I don't just fill my additional calories with junk.

So, feel free to add me! I can always use more inspiration and ideas about how to eat well at higher cal levels :) Nuts are good, I could easily sit down with a bag of nuts and eat 1800 cals right there. heh heh
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Do all of you lady's lift heavy????? I just bought NROLFW and looking it over. I don't think I will be able to start until mid summer, I need weights and have a 12 month commitment to a fitness studio that only has classed (classes are more weight centered than cardio). MFP has me on 1200 calories.....eh if I stay under 1500 I am happy I am a binger and 1200 calories is to restrictive. I am also a bit older than most of you. I would really like to learn more about this and be happy to have some support. I also try to encourage all my friends.(both mfp and real life)
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Are you guys using what MFP sets as your calorie goal or did you go off site to determine your TDDE? I'm not sure if I'm figuring mine correctly. My trainers have told me I should aim for 1900 calories a day but that seems so high to me! If anyone would like to help me figure it out, I would be really grateful. I've read the post "In Place of a Road Map" and using the calculators on the site he recommends, choosing light activity puts me at 1737. I work out with a trainer for an hour 2 x a week (I usually hit the elliptical or treadmill for 20 minutes before hand) and then do 30 - 40 minutes of cardio on the days I don't train with her. So 6 days total of exercise. I plan on dropping one day of cardio and lifting heavier weight on that day.

Thanks!
  • bestbassist
    bestbassist Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Ok...I'm not female, but I'm a former anorexic. After starving myself for years I began eating "normally" and then just plain too much. I've since lost 40 pounds eating on a deficit and working out, but all I am doing at this point is maintaining even though I'm still on a deficit (according to MFP). If I hit 2200 or more cals a day, I start quickly gaining again - no matter if the food is healthy and I am exercising. I'm guessing I permanently screwed my metabolism up from years of self-torture. Point is - if you can eat over the "normal" calorie range for your gender, height, etc, and not gain fat, then more power to you. :)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Ok...I'm not female, but I'm a former anorexic. After starving myself for years I began eating "normally" and then just plain too much. I've since lost 40 pounds eating on a deficit and working out, but all I am doing at this point is maintaining even though I'm still on a deficit (according to MFP). If I hit 2200 or more cals a day, I start quickly gaining again - no matter if the food is healthy and I am exercising. I'm guessing I permanently screwed my metabolism up from years of self-torture. Point is - if you can eat over the "normal" calorie range for your gender, height, etc, and not gain fat, then more power to you. :)

I really hope you can find the answer. I was severely anorexic when I was 18, dropping to 70Ibs at 5'11.
    That was followed by decades of losing and gaining, not as severely, but still erratic eating.
    I also have hypothyroidism, so you might want to check into that if you have not already. I think mine was bought on by my eating disordered past.
    I still struggle sometimes with bulimic tendencies, but my body seems to, fortunately, have a weight it settles at that is within the normal range, when I am eating properly and keeping active.

That aside, wow, I never expected such a huge response!
    Wonderful to see so many other women feeding their bodies and reaping the rewards for it.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    Bump.
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Do all of you lady's lift heavy????? I just bought NROLFW and looking it over. I don't think I will be able to start until mid summer, I need weights and have a 12 month commitment to a fitness studio that only has classed (classes are more weight centered than cardio). MFP has me on 1200 calories.....eh if I stay under 1500 I am happy I am a binger and 1200 calories is to restrictive. I am also a bit older than most of you. I would really like to learn more about this and be happy to have some support. I also try to encourage all my friends.(both mfp and real life)

I don't lift heavy. (mostly because I do not have the equipment or a gym membership) However I do more reps and do lots of body weight ST. It seems to be forming muscles all over. Now only if I can get all the fat off on top of those nice muscles I will look good. lol

So it can be possible without heavy weights. I have dumbbells and just got some that are adjustable. (used at garage sale. the largest I can make them is 26 pounds each dumbbell)
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options

It could take some time for your metabolism to reset. I hear if you go in a deficit for a long time when you go back to a higer calorie intake your body will gain because it is saving up for a deficit again(it thinks it was starving and might starve again) I hope I explained that well. I think I heard it is called "re-feeding syndrome" or something like that.

I hope you are well.
    Karen
  • kateauch
    kateauch Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Add me if you want!

My TDEE is pretty high (~2600) - I'm a 5'11" 23 yo woman who is pretty active- I walk, ride my horse and do JM's workouts at least every other day.

I usually eat around 2400 and try to net 1800 or lower with exercise. It's been working for me so I'm just going to keep on keepin on.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    You can add me! I am also maintaining at 2500-3000! I have suffered from disordered eating however I was never underweight, my body starting shutting before I hit the underweight marker. I have been reversing the damage ever since.
  • IAmCorStar
    IAmCorStar Posts: 11
    Options
    History of ED here. Feel free to add me. I eat sometimes more and sometimes less than 1800, but could probably use some motivation to keep it more towards the more side!
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1600-2200 depending on my activity for the day. Anyone can add me as long as you are active and support back as I delete people often :)

Edited to add: no ED issues, but I try to be a very supportive person!
  • juniperleaves
    Options
    I eat 1800-2200 a day, depending on if I exercise or not! :)

I had a small bout with anorexia, but luckily God and my boyfriend knocked me out of it before it got really bad. Though I sometimes still struggle with the "food is bad" thoughts when I get really depressed.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I had not realised others had responded to this topic :)
  • karapara21
    karapara21 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Can I be your friend. I'm about 50 days in. I LOVE to work out. But I'm still stuck in this, should I eat mentality? I should probably be netting a lot higher. But I'm worried. I need to be friends with people who train hard so I know that it's ok to eat ALOT.