Pets get in the way

Options

Replies

• Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    My cat loves to 'join in' with my exercises. If I do a plank, he loves to come and sit underneath me so I can't get down again!
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I've got 2 children. I wish I could lock them away :laugh: :laugh: just kidding!
  • docturtle
    docturtle Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My dogs will get in the way of my elliptical, which can be very dangerous for them, so I have to sneak downstairs and I'll hear my Basset/Beagle scratching at the door and Pomeranian will bark at being left out. When I'm trying to lift weights or do Pilates or Yoga, they will jump on me like they want to join in too, so I'll grab Droopy's paws when he jumps up on me and go through a movement with him and he gets it out of his system and will go lie down. Same with Foxie Lady, I'll pick her up and use her as the weight and then she's like "I'm outta here!"
  • butterflyqueen1984
    butterflyqueen1984 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Put him in another room and shut the door.
    Problem solved.

But that doesn't help cause they then scratch the carpet! My cat is EXACTLY the same, if you are not giving him attention then he tries to get your attention! When my phone rings, he is straight away sat on me purring getting my attention!
  • HatherM
    HatherM Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else got a problem with their pet getting in the way when exercising at home? We have a 7yr old stupid cat that loves getting in the way, when we are doing kettle bells he sits between my hubby's legs, if I lay on the floor doing Pilates he rubs past me and sits right in the way and last night while stepping he came and sat in front of the step, ggggrrrrrrhhhhh

Yeah if my two cats get in the room (they can open the door) they are constantly rubbing against me or lying on my yoga mat. If I have weights they think I'm pointing things to things on the floor & get in the way there too hehe It makes me laugh & then the youngest gets all hyper & jumps around & runs crazily around the house :happy:

unfortunately we don't have many doors in our rented home that actually closes properly that they can't open so we can't just shut them out :tongue:
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I'd love a cat to get in the way! We left our beloved cat with my mother-in-law when we emigrated and we miss her! :sad:

Very sorry for your loss. :frown:
  • dbm037
    dbm037 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My log loves to come see what I am doing! especially when I do my Russian twists, she wants to get in my lap which she is a little big. I just give her some love then get her to move:heart:
  • lkcuts
    lkcuts Posts: 224
    Options
    :laugh:
    I have a slightly different pet situation. My cat has seen me exercise so rarely, that he actually gets scared when I start. His ears go flat and he look at me with great alarm. Hopefully, both he and I will get used to me moving in a healthy way.

I had a good belly laugh on this one! I could just imagine .
  • GdeVries
    GdeVries Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    OF course they want to be where you are.

In the house I close the door. Me on one side - dogs on the other.

Outside I do a lot of walking with our two dogs. But one is old and can't walk too far or fast anymore. So I'm doing C25K with the other so we both get in better shape.
  • lkcuts
    lkcuts Posts: 224
    Options
    I have 4 Shih Tzus and when I get on the floor for excersise they think it's play time..I have to keep shooing them on. Eventually they got used to it and now sniff and go on as if to say " OH I see, its moms' playtime now."
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    My 18 month old westie pup can be a pain - if I close him in another room he just barks and barks and scratches at the door so I let him in the room with me, generally he just plays with his toy on his cushion or goes out in the garden if I have the door open - but when he's in a playfull mood I have no chance, he gets under me when I am doing pushups or planking and links my face every time I come down, he tries to chew/eat my resistance bands both when I am and when I am not using them and the dirty little monster always likes to sniff/lick around my armpits when I am on my back trying to do something lol

As I say though thankfully he's usually very good, it's just now and then he's a buggar :)
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Like others said, put him in another room. OR before you plan on working out, tire him out with some play. Play with him until he's on his side and panting, then give him a treat. Cats follow this schedule. Hunt, catch, kill, eat, groom, sleep. Hunt/catch/kill is playing.
  • bearcrusher
    bearcrusher Posts: 90
    Options
    Haha hilarious. As long as you never use "my cats try to cuddle with me so I can't workout" as an excuse for laziness. That would be a new one in the excuse department.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Lol, we just got the puppy in my profile picture on Wednesday. Thankfully our exercise space is in our basement and we can leave him upstairs while we work out. Maybe put the cat in a room with the door closed?
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    My cat does the same rubbing thing and will start trying to attack my hands if what I'm doing requires moving them around a lot. I couldn't lock him up, he'd howl like mad and that would be even more annoying! After a few minutes he will usually lay down and not bother me ,though, so no big deal.
  • losethehandles
    Options
    my 13 week old labradoodle puppy will just sit and watch me, looking so confused. it's disturbing-- even though he's not getting in my way. :P
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Every. Single. Day. and when I try to shut the door, she makes so much noise clawing the door open I just let her in lol. She really loves to lay right in the middle of my workout area when I gotta do 16 burpees in a row or something! and loves putting her little butt right in my face when I'm doing pushups!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    My cats do, but I don't mind. Otherwise, I would put them up while I exercise. :)

Ditto.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I don't see it as getting in the way... they just try to bond.

My cat sometimes wants to play when I workout. When I do ground exercises she starts playing with my foot.
    When I started working out it was worse.
    One I was doind tae-bo and she actually came and sat between my legs (I tried to make her go, because I was afraid to hit her during the fast moves).
    She once torn my hand when she actually jumped in my hand, while I was moving it during some Pillates moves. She's a cat. She was thinking I waas playing. Cats play is more like a fight, but they don't mean no harm.

In time she kind of understood it's not play time. Now it's mostly only watching. But when I do ground exercises she at least tries to play with my moving foot. If I hiss her, she goes away and does not come back.

My cat won't get tired no matter how much we would play with her.

If it gets worse, you can try to put her in another room, like the others say. Be prepared to get some doors scratched.
    Or try to work out in her sleeping hours. :laugh: Should not be a problem.
  • dawnsjourney
    dawnsjourney Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have a golden retriever and a chocolate lab. The lab knows exactly what to do while I do my Leslie Walking. My Golden is new to the house so he hasn't quite figured it out. I have to put him in "Walk Jail". Between my bed and wall with a garbage can blocking the opening. He sits there and watches with his ball hanging out of his mouth. It's very cute.