Squats question!

Options
13»

Replies

• danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I've done literally thousands of reps of high box squats with some pretty heavy weights over the years and have no knee issues, so my personal experience is that squatting high doesn't hurt your knees. Nor does it not work your posterior chain as people seem to think (at least, when you use a wide stance like I do). That said, I have also worked thousands of reps of ATG pause squats, parallel depth competition type squats, box squats on below parallel and parallel height boxes, front squats, overhead squats, etc, with various width stances. They are all good for you.

One thing I see being offered as advice that I can't agree with is using a bounce at the bottom of the lift to gain momentum to get the weight up. This is why I like box squats, when you pause on the box that bounce momentum is eliminated and forces you to power your way up.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I've done literally thousands of reps of high box squats with some pretty heavy weights over the years and have no knee issues, so my personal experience is that squatting high doesn't hurt your knees. Nor does it not work your posterior chain as people seem to think (at least, when you use a wide stance like I do). That said, I have also worked thousands of reps of ATG pause squats, parallel depth competition type squats, box squats on below parallel and parallel height boxes, front squats, overhead squats, etc, with various width stances. They are all good for you.

Again, as part of regime that includes all this variety, above parallel squats become a tool, nothing more. If you did ONLY over parallel squats for years, for thousands of reps, are you still positive that it's fine? I'm not talking about doing thousands of above parallel squats in the mix with other squatting, but rather if you think that's what a squat should be and do that movement exclusively, week in, week out for years.

As to the posterior chain thing, I agree that all squatting has some impact on the posterior chain, no matter what the depth. Just that deeper squats seem to have a greater impact on the posterior chain. I mean, the squat hits all kinds of things, it's called the King for a reason! But different variants have different focii and have a greater or lesser impact on various parts than their brethren.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    your butt doesnt touch the floor
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    i d ont use the weights to do squats and my butt dont touch floor