Obese and unable to lose weight

Options
I lost 40 lbs in past and gained 10. doing random bad or crash diets

currently at 240, I am 510 240 and male. weight shifts from 233-240

I have a personal trainer, I train 4 times a week strength training, been doing that for 2 weeks. And then I do light cardio to intense cardio 5 times a week 30-60 min

I eat 1500 calories, I know its a huge defect, but unless I have super genes, it would be impossible for my body to function on 1500 calories and not lose any fat.

I weigh everything, I have no more than 100 carbs a day, 200 grams of protein and max 30 grams of fat.

I was told to have a cheat day, so I did, was told it will help re amp my metabolism. But I am 23.

2 weeks no change on the scale.

Replies

• crazy4fids
    crazy4fids Posts: 173
    Options
    Don't fret. It will take your body time to adjust to the new fitness plan.

Are you working with a nutritionist as well as a personal trainer?

Weight loss is 80% nutrition and only 20% exercise.

Spend some time reading the forums. You will learn a lot from just reading. Search for people you can add as friends. Try and find people with similar weight loss goals, similar body weight/height......then you will have some people to cheer you on as you progress into your new, healthy lifestyle.

Remember, you didn't put the weight on in six months, so you can't expect to loose it all in six months.

You may want to make your diary public so people can see what you are eating. Also it helps if you list your stats in your profile.

Good luck!
  • lroxey
    lroxey Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 lbs in past and gained 10. doing random bad or crash diets

currently at 240, I am 510 240 and male. weight shifts from 233-240

I have a personal trainer, I train 4 times a week strength training, been doing that for 2 weeks. And then I do light cardio to intense cardio 5 times a week 30-60 min

I eat 1500 calories, I know its a huge defect, but unless I have super genes, it would be impossible for my body to function on 1500 calories and not lose any fat.

I weigh everything, I have no more than 100 carbs a day, 200 grams of protein and max 30 grams of fat.

I was told to have a cheat day, so I did, was told it will help re amp my metabolism. But I am 23.

2 weeks no change on the scale.

Have you tried around 2,000 calories for over a month with no results???

I agree I don't think your getting enough calories in your diet. you body is basically freaking out and hanging on to what it has. you need to eat back your work out cal. at least try this formula. Take your weight multiply by 12 then subtract 30%. See if that helps try it for awhile your not going to gain but you also need to consider a pound of muscle weighs close to the same as a pound of fat. Personally I would measure your self quit looking at the scales.
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You sound really determined. I am a female, 5'6" and started at 219. It's been just less than 5 months but I have lost 24 lbs eating 1500 calories a day and eating back any burned calories. Are you eating back the calories you burn during your work outs? Keep pressing forward but be patient with yourself. You'll do it; it'll just take the time it needs to take.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Do you measure yourself with a tape measure? i assume you're lifting weights? Toning gaining muscle.. perhaps losing inches rather then pounds? Inches is a plus just as pounds are. I stall all the time.. and usually that's when my pants start to get looser. I lift. do all kinds of class,, swim hike bike anything to keep exercising. I'm a little nutty with it, cause I want to get healthy. Also what are you eating? Not how much.. It's amazing how much hidden sugar/salt etc is in stuff. If you cook it yourself you eliminate most of that hidden stuff. I can't help you with the calorie thing. Everyone here will tell you something different on it. I eat where I am comfortable eating... I keep it low because I like to drink on the weekends and I use up any unused calories that way. but I'm never hungry. I can't thrive on a low carb diet. Im' miserable, i'm hungry, i don't lose weight. You need to give it at least a month, any change you do, but if what you're doing isn't producing results after a month.. i'd change something. I just added HIIT class into my exercise routine.. once a week. It kick my butt but I've lost weight since starting it. and I'm sore all the time now. lol. so clearly my body needed a change.
  • mikesavvy
    mikesavvy Posts: 108
    Options
    I eat 1500 calories regardless of what I do,

I have done 1200 in exercise and still only ate 1500 calories.

ITs been 2 weeks, people say its muscle gain, water retention and other things. But muscle grows slowly, like .5 per week max.

My objective it to get to 180 In 4 to 6 months, 8% bodyfat, currently at 30% bodyfat.

I will keep training and keep at it, maybe lower my carbs to 20, hoping I still have energy for strength training.

I also thought maybe its cause I don't drink enough water, I rarely drink anything.
  • mikesavvy
    Options
    I have been measuring my stomach, around belly button, that has stayed the same.

Muscles looks toner, arms and legs, places were there isn't much fat.

I am just looking for reassurance that there isn't something I am doing wrong.

Calories are low, but people on the biggest loser and stuff, eat 1500 calories and work out 4-5 hours a day.

They still lose weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options

ITs been 2 weeks, people say its muscle gain, water retention and other things. But muscle grows slowly, like .5 per week max.

My objective it to get to 180 In 4 to 6 months, 8% bodyfat, currently at 30% bodyfat.

I will keep training and keep at it, maybe lower my carbs to 20, hoping I still have energy for strength training.

I also thought maybe its cause I don't drink enough water, I rarely drink anything.
    Dude if you were only netting 300 calories a day, then it's no reason your metabolism isn't working correctly. Less doesn't always mean better.
    Definitely need to reassess your program.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • margieo1983
    margieo1983 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

Calories are low, but people on the biggest loser and stuff, eat 1500 calories and work out 4-5 hours a day.

They still lose weight.

First, the Biggest Loser also has on-staff personal trainers, nutritionists, doctors, counselors, and so forth.

Second, I hardly think they only eat 1500 calories per day, especially in the beginning when they're super overweight. With the amount of calories it takes just to move their 400-pound selves around, plus cardio and strength training, I can't imagine they only subside on 1500 calories. And if they do, the show must edit out how much whining they do about being hungry.

Third, you need to talk to an actual nutritionist. I agree with the others who are saying you're not eating enough. Your body is in starvation mode and your metabolism is going to get screwed up.

Fourth, what kind of calories are you eating? Are you eating healthy things, or just 1500 calories of blah? Make those calories count.

Good luck. I know it's frustrating when the scale won't move, but it will. It takes time.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    You are doing ALOT of exercise and you are MALE.

IMO you are NOT eating enough.. I agree with another poster, jump up to 2000 and see what happens after a week or so.
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I started MFP at 266 lbs. and 1200 calories. I lost some weight, and then STOPPED. The scale wouldn't budge!

I upped my calories to 1400 and began losing .2 here and .4 there. I went up to 1600 calories, and started losing 2-3 lbs. a week.

I am female and was a higher weight than you when I started....and I began seeing results while eating more than you. Some days I ate 1700-1800 calories, depending on my activity level.

I now weigh 218 lbs....and I'm at 1500 calories.

You are a guy and you're kicking butt in the gym. I definitely think you aren't eating enough.
  • majasmi
    majasmi Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i was around the same when i started. had a PT for 6 months and actually put on weight for the first month with the PT doing a lot of lifting and maintaining my net food calories around 2000-2200 . then after the first month or two, then the weight started coming off. dont be in such a rush. drilling yourself will only lead to another crash.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Your lunch consumption of sodium at 3,560 was the culprit in not losing weight. You are going to have to reduce your sodium drastically, otherwise the scale will be moving upwards or not move at all.
  • mikesavvy
    Options
    I had a "cheat day" yesterday that isn't what I eat on a norm, and I got sick. was told to do it, and did what I did.

I just took all my measurements. and compared them to when I started.

I Lost 1 inch off my waist

Lost 1 inch off hips

Gained 2 inches on arms

Lost 2 inches off chest

Gained 5 on thighs

and Gained 1 inch on calves. and 1 inch gain on fore arms.

31 days since last measurement.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

I will keep training and keep at it, maybe lower my carbs to 20, hoping I still have energy for strength training..

:noway:

Your body can't handle 300 calories a day. You are STILL doing what you did before, even if you don't THINK you are.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    It's been two weeks dude, chill out. You didn't get where you're at overnight, you won't get to where you want to be overnight either.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I agree with those that are saying that you should see a nutritionist. It looks like you rely a lot on supplements and protein powders. I really don't know too much about those things, but you do need to learn how to eat and what to eat in order to fuel your body.

It also might help to do some research on what your daily recommendations for carbs/fat/protein/sodium/sugar are and set those in your journal.
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options

Dude if you were only netting 300 calories a day, then it's no reason your metabolism isn't working correctly. Less doesn't always mean better.
    Definitely need to reassess your program.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This. You are netting too small amount of food and killing your metabolism. I'm smaller then you, averaging 2000 cals per day and losing weight. You need to readjust. Good luck!
    Been there done that with the netting too low...it's not good.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    1) you should really give anything you try 4-6 weeks before having a meltdown.

2) You should consider eating more. I'm 5'4.5", 196.6lbs and eat more than you. I don't even work out near as much you. I've been losing a little over 2lbs a week.

3) Inches lost is a great thing. Scale only shows a very very small fraction of progress and shouldn't be used as the sole way to tell how well your doing.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'5" female, my start weight was 208, and my goal was 1600 without exercise. You're starving yourself. You should eat at least 2000 a day.
  • mikesavvy
    Options
    I agree with those that are saying that you should see a nutritionist. It looks like you rely a lot on supplements and protein powders. I really don't know too much about those things, but you do need to learn how to eat and what to eat in order to fuel your body.

It also might help to do some research on what your daily recommendations for carbs/fat/protein/sodium/sugar are and set those in your journal.

I preferring drinking my meals, its easier for me, I have a nutritionist. And My trainer has a ms in health and something else.

They both seem to be ok with what I am eating, they are the ones that suggested a ketosis diet. The all have access to everything I eat.

My doctor wanted to put me on a 500 calorie diet, which I refused.

Ill get second opinions from different trainers and nutritionist.

I just wanted some opinions, I will talk to more people.

The supplements I take are for muscle growth, which it seems to have been working with my measurements.

Haha I even had doctors tell me, to go on a doctor supervised 34 day fast......

Hard to figure out who to trust.