Terrified of the gym

Options

Replies

• Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you need to go to the gym to work out?
  • sexymuffintop
    sexymuffintop Posts: 636
    Options
    Thanks for the help. I guess I know you're right. But surely the people who work in the gym have seen people like me so many times... There must be a "type" that walks through the door and they just think "She'll never be back". That's what I think everyone is thinking.

I've been using gyms for over 10 years and I have never once thought this. Never.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    when i see over overweight people in the gym trying to lose weight or skinny people trying to pack on muscle or whatever their goals are, i always give them respect if there trying but if their in there wasting space i dont give them the respect
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I don't know about everyone here but the gym is a great place to people watch. And if the op feels that way at the gym, find a gym buddy to work out with.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    So, when I started at the gym I weighed 228 and I was 57, talk about yikes. But after 8 months and 40lbs down the front desk guy asked me to talk to a prospective member about whether strength training works. Lol!!! Anyway, I just put my earbuds in and get it done and I don't really give a big whatever, I am there to get fit and stay healthy.
  • toronto81
    toronto81 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It took me a couple months to actually join a gym, I was scared.
    Finally joined, a co-ed gym.
    Did nothing but the treadmill because that's what I felt most comfortable on...there was NO WAY I was going to do any strength training...there were 9 times out of 10 only guys working out there.

Finally one day it just occured to me to not give a crap & start using the weights & othere equipment to do my strength training.
    I started with a few things along with my cardio. Now, I LOVE weight lifting!!
    Most days I'm the only female amongst the guys on that part of the gym & I'm comfortable!!

Like some others have said....most people at the gym don't care what you're working on, they're doing their own thing too.
    Just do it!! You'll be so happy you did!
  • Ninguneado73
    Ninguneado73 Posts: 832
    Options
    I've gone consistently for a full year at my gym. Almost all the people that seemed committed and "experts" disappeared. A year later, they are not all that and I've changed dramatically how I look. In fact, I only know one or two people who have made any progress. In my experience most people come and go. Now I think it was silly I was once intimidated by them.
  • marybowldseddington
    marybowldseddington Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I was afraid of the big boys gym..in other words the weight room. I still am a bit nervous but I just go in do my thing and leave. Good thing for me I am doing Strong Lifts so any day with heavy lifting is a max of three exercises.

I am fortunate to have teenages in the house so I make one of them go with me. It is easier when I am not alone.

We have a women only part of our gym that has treadmills and dumb bells. I go in there to warm up and it is usually empty.

I also go to classes and after one or two weeks the other people recognize you and smile, say hi but when we are seriously exercising.. Every body does their own thing. No laughing, giggling at people..so nothing to fear.
  • bgraz1994
    bgraz1994 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about looking 'shaky' while working out you can always work on exercises at home such as the plank, push-ups, squats, lunges, etc.

However, if people are going to take time out of their workout to criticize you for getting yourself to the gym despite being a beginner, then they are in the wrong!

You mentioned searching the internet for a work out plan, here's mine as an example. Hopefully it'll help!
    -cardio (anywhere from 10 minutes to 45 minutes on the elliptical or bike)
    -Weights (squats-start with just the bar and then work your way up! three sets of eight reps. Bent over rows-again just start with the bar, three sets of eight reps. Using dumbbells-bicep curls, triceps extension, shoulder press, chest fly)
    -Calisthenics (plank variations, crunches, leg lifts, push-ups)
    -Stretching
  • xxDearyen
    xxDearyen Posts: 20
    Options
    I won't say I know the level of anxiety you are dealing with, but I just want to let you know that I used to feel a lot anxiety when going to the gym as well. It has taken me a good two years just to step into one again, but now that I have finally gone back, the past two months I have been there have been absolutely amazing.

I don't think its worth your while to hear the entire story of my issues with health/fitness, but there have been quite a few. After the last time I stopped, before I even considering going back to the gym, I took a good two years to learn to coordinate myself at home and do a lot of studying first.

When I finally stepped back into the gym recently, it was so I could finally begin Jamie Eason's Livefit program (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-introduction.html). Previously, I had been a cardio junkie and only felt safe on a treadmill. Strength training felt completely foreign to me, but I was determined to get through the program. So I picked a small community centre gym that really was only frequented by a more leisurely, slower-paced crowd, found the least busy time to go, and started : ).

The website has video resources for everything. The program does not require much coordination at all (and I would know, I'm super clumsy). I'll spend as long as I need to review what I will do for the day, and finally go to the gym after I've clarified how I will be training that day. When I step into the gym, my eyes automatically look down to my phone, which has the pdf version of the program set out for me for the day. I find having something telling you what to do, without the scrutiny of a trainer watching you, helps tremendously. And the program helps distract me from everything else happening in the gym. If there is ever anything I feel uncomfortable with in the program, I switch it out for something else, which is easy to do because the website has so many resources.

And now that two months have flown by, the environment, the people I see and the gym routine is all familiar. It feels great. : ) My body looks much better now than when I was 10 pounds lighter and nothing by skin, fat and bones.

I hope that my experience helps, if even just a little. I don't know if my method will help with your dilemma, but perhaps its worth a try?
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    If you really don't like the gym, that's fine. You can get a great weights workout at home with a set of used dumbells and a pullup bar that just locks into a doorframe. If you want to do Olympic lifts, that's something else of course-- but it sounds like you just want to put on a little muscle all over and gain a bit of general strength. You don't need a gym for that.

Take a look at Scooby's site. He has great information on bodybuilding and several different suggested routines for people of various levels, all with video demonstrations. I know you don't want to get big, but believe me you won't-- even if you're trying to:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/beginning-workout-plan/

I'd also just like to say that 30 is certainly not your last chance to get in shape. I finally decided to get my flabby *kitten* into shape at age 39, and I'm approaching 41 now and in the best shape of my life by far. I do have to warm up like a sonofa*****, though... :P
  • slim_goody
    slim_goody Posts: 8
    Options
    at the end of the day, the gym is just a room filled with exercise equipment, and people that may not be able to afford a home gym, may want to be around other gymers for mental motivation, or they may just have a need to do things with other people. no different than eating out, going to the mall, movies, etc., you can do it all at home, but that may not be the most viable option for every single personality out there.

just go in there with a plan for yourself so you can be in and out (don't just go to the gym and randomly workout) as that will help you to avoid those overly social folk, who will see that as an invitation to "assist" or engage you unsolicited. use gym etiquette i.e cleaning the machines after use, and don't blast your workout music, and try not to be a gym creep/ ogler.
  • tanyalevan
    tanyalevan Posts: 182
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean.

the gym is full of skinny women trying to get "toned" with faces full of makeup and tank tops with skin tights....i dont know about you but i look horrid while working out and actually sweat and dont wear makeup...
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    The only thing I do at the gym is run. You can do a lot of stuff at home where no one will see you.
  • tanjasnickers
    tanjasnickers Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and then found my neighborhood rec center is laid back and most people there look like me and are trying to get in shape like me.
  • cupcakelady12
    Options
    We joined Planet Fitness. It is especially known for people going and working out and not caring, staring etc at others who are there. If there is one near you I really suggest giving them a try and good luck!!
  • sexymuffintop
    Options

the gym is full of skinny women trying to get "toned" with faces full of makeup and tank tops with skin tights....i dont know about you but i look horrid while working out and actually sweat and dont wear makeup...

Oh thats such a stereotype. Are 'skinny' women not allowed to exercise too? Are only overweight people supposed to use the gym? And maybe they have come straight from work where they had to wear make up? Way to judge.....
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hi,

If you're set on overcoming your anxiety and going to a gym please ignore the following.

Otherwise you could just do the workouts at home. You can get a good full body dumbbell only workout going at home, and you can include planks if you want them ;)

You could also get a personal trainer over to your house and teach you how. But I have a feeling you might feel just as uncomfortable with that as with going to a gym.

Youtube is champion. Find a routine you want to do and watch on youtube on how to do it.

If you want some info on a dumbbell only workout let me know and I'll write something up.
  • tanyalevan
    tanyalevan Posts: 182
    Options

Oh thats such a stereotype. Are 'skinny' women not allowed to exercise too? Are only overweight people supposed to use the gym? And maybe they have come straight from work where they had to wear make up? Way to judge.....

I don't think a full gym membership is needed just get some weights or go for a walk also make up wipes are cheap just saying it really puts you down when your the biggest girl there
  • sexymuffintop
    Options

I don't think a full gym membership is needed just get some weights or go for a walk also make up wipes are cheap just saying it really puts you down when your the biggest girl there

Well keep using MFP and the gym then you won't be the biggest girl there anymore :wink: :flowerforyou: