I eat like a toddler.

Options
I only eat chicken nuggets, fish sticks, french fries and spaghetti. I don't eat most fruit or vegetables because I don't like the taste or texture. I really need to eat fruit and vegetables and a variety of food, but I have sensory issues and I don't know where to start. Can anyone help me?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You don't like strawberries? Grapes? Apple sliced dipped in peanut butter? Baby carrots dipped in ranch? Trying to remember more things I fed my kid when she was a toddler... :tongue:
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    grow up and just put it in your mouth. :flowerforyou:

spaghetti squash and deep fried cauliflower. jalapeno poppers?
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I suggest therapy. It will be better in the long run if you can get over the texture/taste thing.
  • RandomMiranda
    RandomMiranda Posts: 298
    Options
    Do you like smoothies? It might be an easy way for you to get fruit and veggies in without the texture. You can mix whatever fruit you want with milk or yogurt and some ice, or use frozen fruit. You can put in some spinach and if there's a lot of fruit you can't taste the vegetable.
    If you eat spaghetti sauce, blend vegetables into the sauce. Just pour the sauce into a blender and add spinach, zuchini, peppers, whatever you want. Blend it up and it probably wouldn't even change the taste of the sauce much.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Maybe start with carrot pieces , celery, grape tomatoes , with some ranch dip .....
    I make like a mini veggie tray and snack on it through the day ..
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Thats ok, make your own nuggets, and fish sticks, sweet potato fries, um.. spagetti squash..
  • GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of veg myself but you can introduce them slowly. Soups are a good idea, also as someone else says, covering them in a sauce or a dip might help you get used to them at first.

Some things are less strong tasting than others and every veg has a different texture so just try lots of different types and cooked in different ways as this makes their texture vary, too. Just tell yourself that this week you are going to try, say, carrots as part of a meal. Don't overload your plate with them, just try a small amount to start.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options

Could you please send me recipe on how to fry cauliflower??? I think it sounds awesome!!!!!!!
  • dbkrantz
    dbkrantz Posts: 138
    Options
    You should try to train yourself to like those foods, by introducing them to your diet progressively.

Or, apparently, some people don't like other foods because of some problem and then, I would go see a GP.
  • Gmtribble90
    Gmtribble90 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can start by adding chopped veggies into your spaghetti sauce (onions and green peppers, VERY finely chopped, maybe even some small diced tomatoes) . Perhaps homemade, slightly-salted sweet potato fries instead of regular french fries? There are ways to transition, but you just need to want the change in order for it to work. I also like some of Amy's suggestions. Baby carrots dipped in ranch is an awesome combo and so are apple slices dipped in peanut butter.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    My toddler doesn't eat like that at all, he eats anything and everything lol.

Anyway, if you eat chicken can you not just eat chicken without all the breadcrumbs? How about fish?

Chips will be healthier if you chop and season your own and cook them in the oven. You can make so called 'junk' foods healthier if you make them yourself and control the amount of oil ect

I am very funny with vegetables and fruit too but am slowly coming round- some of them aren't bad. Took me nearly 20 years to try asparagus but once I got over the green-ness and funny plant shape of it it quickly became one of my favourites.

Lots of people freeze fruit, have you tried it that way as it must change the texture at least
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    My children are broccoli, veggie soup, shepherds pie and peas all the time when they were babies.

Op, just pick five things you don't eat and keep offering yourself one of them at meal time. You don't have to eat it, you could smell it or play with it. You need at least seven to ten exposures like this before you will feel ready to try. You can also blend carrots or squash a d "hide" it in your spaghetti sauce. Cut up veggies that are the same colour as french fries like yams or squash so that they look like french fries, then you only have to deal with texture and taste. Put sone green food colouring on your french fries and see if you can tolerate that. Let me know how it goes! Message me for more ideas:)
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I read it takes trying something 10 x before you like it. I Know that's true because i did that with my 2 year old, she gagged the first time i gave her a bite of Avocado but by day ten she liked them and ate a half of one. Now she loves them and eats them all the time.
    So just pick something and eat a little everyday (it don't have to be a ton) just a bites or 2. Then once you get used to it try something else.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options

Could you please send me recipe on how to fry cauliflower??? I think it sounds awesome!!!!!!!

I didn't suggest it, but the usual way is to make a batter, half flour, half cornflour and some cold carbonated water (a tempura batter), dip the cauli in and drop it in some hot oil till the batter is crisp. You can do this with other veg like broccoli also. Not particularly healthy as it is deep fried but very tasty.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I know there are some veggies and such that I can't stand (avocado one of them, sorry) and well for me, I force myself to eat them, not everyday, but every other.

P.S. my 15 month old eats everything and anything. :bigsmile:
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    P.S. my 15 month old eats everything and anything. :bigsmile:

Don't get too cocky about this. :smile: My now 11-year-old son ate everything until about the age of 2: sweet potatoes, apples, melons, peanut butter, turkey (all of Thanksgiving dinner), dried apricots, hummus, cottage cheese, yogurt, on and on and on. Then he started eliminating one food after another, so that by the time he was 4 he ate almost nothing but bread and crackers. He hated the typical toddler/little kid food (yogurt tubes, chicken nuggets, French fries (!), mac 'n' cheese). He's much better now, but he still has a ways to go to have a normal, non-picky diet. For instance, he will not eat any fruit except for a few non-sweet botanical fruits (e.g., raw peppers and cured olives). He still won't eat peanut butter and doesn't like Nutella (WTF?). For him, it's mostly a texture thing, but taste also plays a role. He does like very umami-intense foods, like anchovies and dry cheeses (like Parmigiano Reggiano), and his favorite meat is lamb.

Odds are, your 18-month-old will not go down this path, but don't be surprised if your good little eater goes through a picky phase for a while. Most of my parent friends' good eaters have done so somewhere between 2 and 6, as did my 7-year-old daughter, but then they go back to "normal." I just remember how proud I was of my little guy (and of myself) for his excellent diet, and then it all came crumbling down. It was a very hard 4 or 5 years.
  • chillmcgren
    chillmcgren Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Sensory issues are a very real thing! I don't have many sensory issues relating to food, but my sensory issues affect my ability to go to work and the gym (smells) and relate to my husband (sensitive to touch).

I don't know how much help this site can be, try something dedicated to sensory eating difficulties? like http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/picky-eaters.html

If you can identify what kind of sensory triggers you are having you might be able to work around that. Smoothies/soups/steaming could help if it's the crunch that bothers you.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I have a kid on the spectrum, so we've dealt with this at home (sensory issues). The key has been baby steps. When we switched him from skippy to natural peanut butter, I mixed natural PB in with the skippy, each time with less skippy and more natural PB. Now he will only eat the natural stuff. With bread we get the supermarket brand wheat bread, it's not as good as the nice nutty stuff that I prefer, but it's a compromise. Fruits and veggies are tricky. He love granny smith apples, so we keep those in stock. Carrots are also a favorite. Anyway, ease into it a bit at a time. But, stay consistent and work on it. It may be tough at first, but it'll get easier - and you'll find more things that you like.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be a thread about.eating with plastic cutlery and throwing tantrums and food against the walls. Disappointed now.
  • jeanywren
    jeanywren Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have a 15 yr old grandson with this problem. The only way he has made any progress has been with very small steps. Literally a couple of grains of rice to start. He likes wild rice now as his mother used to mix it with white rice and he would pick out the wild ones!!! They eat out a lot and he has specific things that he orders at each place. Not all the healthiest choices for sure. Usually chicken strips and fries. He only eats raw vegetables and not many of them. This kid could live on carbs. Spaghetti with no sauce, bread with nothing on it, plain rice cakes. And he does not have a weight problem. Definitely not a healthy lifestyle as he might find out as he gets older. I think as an adult you have to come to the conclusion to at least "try" some things in small doses.